2001 1.2 Clutch Slip following replacement - adampbrown
I took my 2001 Fiat Punto to my local garage for a replacement clutch as a result of the original "burning out" as the mechanic put it. Everything seemed fine with the new clutch, but now, 3 months later (and only several 100 miles later), the clutch is slipping badly.

I have contacted the garage and they are taking the car back in, but I would appreciate some advice on what could be causing this to slip so soon following a replacement, and whether I should be expected to pay the full cost of the investigation/clutch replacement. The mechanic has told me that he can't understand it, and will have to strip-down the clutch and investigate - should I have have to pay the full cost of this considering it is only 3 months since he fitted it?

Any advice on the technical or legal matters would be very much appreciated.

2001 1.2 Clutch Slip following replacement - TimOrridge
Adam,

A new wife would be cheaper than a new clutch in my opinion.

Tim.
2001 1.2 Clutch Slip following replacement - adampbrown
Apparently the gearbox has leaked oil onto the clutch-plate. I've been told I need a new gearbox (new bearings, seals, nose cone etc) and another new clutch, so I've been hit with a bill for £560!

Thanks for the constructive feedback Tim - although I think you're right.
2001 1.2 Clutch Slip following replacement - DP
Adam,

This is very difficult, as clutch life depends on a number of factors - application, how the car is driven, under what conditions etc etc. A healthy clutch can be destroyed by unsympathetic treatment in a couple of miles, or can last 200,000+ if treated carefully. Of course, you can have component and manufacturing defects causing premature failure.
I think you will have to wait and see what your garage says when they strip the clutch down.
FWIW, I had a replacement clutch fail suddenly on my old Sierra after just 3,000 miles. The plates were still as new, but a significant number of the pressure plate "fingers" were deformed which was put down to a manufacturing defect - the replacement cost me nothing. The new clutch (same make as the duff one) did the next 70,000 miles in my ownership with no problems at all.