Primastar Van 2004 1.9 Diesel turbo over-revving - Hugo {P}
Hi - how are you all? I haven't been here for a while. Its nice to see some old names still here with a few new ones as well.

Anyway - my Nissan Primastar, just after being picked up from a full Nissan Main Dealer Service, started revving to the point that I couldn't change gear. My foot was not on the accelerator. I pulled over and turned the ignition off. This was less than half a mile from the dealership.

I then phoned the dealership who sent a couple of mechanics out to get me. One guy drove the vehicle back and the other gave me a lift back.

The dealership are saying that it seems like an issue with the turbo, letting in oil and allowing the engine to burn its own oil. I spoke to the dealer principle/owner himself, who was very helpful. He has promised to get onto Nissan first thing in the morning as the vehicle has done less than 17k and is just under 4 years old.

Is turbo wear a credible explanation for this fault, or are there any causes that could have been introduced during a full service?

Thanks in advance

H

PS, can we have "Primastar Van" in the drop down box guys ;)

Best I can do. Really needs to be in Technical Matters, but no year or engine size given - which is a requirement for TM

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 29/08/2008 at 11:05

Long time so see! - Nissan Primastar Diesel turbo - Screwloose
H

Did they put too much oil in it? Or flood the breather when filling?

Was it still doing it when they drove it back?
Long time so see! - Nissan Primastar Diesel turbo - Hugo {P}
H
Did they put too much oil in it? Or flood the breather when filling?

I don't know, it may be possible
Was it still doing it when they drove it back?

No. It got back without a hitch
Long time so see! - Nissan Primastar Diesel turbo - tr7v8
Quite feasible but normally you'd have a smoke screen out that back like a destroyer!
It could be EGR valve or similar or anything that'll let it eat it's own oil or possibly lack of fuelling control from the management. Was their lots of smoke?
Mods - if you feel this should be in technical matters, is there any chance one of you kind people could move it.

I didn't notice a smoke screen, mind you I can't see out the back, but I would have thought I'd have seen it in the mirrors.

Just to clarify an earlier question, the model year is 2004, and the engine size is 1870cc.

My first thought when the mechanic menioned oil in the turbo was that they may have misplaced some oil somewhere when they serviced it.

It does seem rather a coincidence that it happened not 5 minuites after I left the dealership!
Long time so see! - Nissan Primastar Diesel turbo - Dynamic Dave
Free bump.
Phoned the dealership this morning and spoke to the dealer principle.

They have apparently investigated and have seen a trace of oil coming from the turbo, which they claim eliminates possibilities of oil having got into the air intake or via some other route. Also they tell me it is quite smokey.

He is hoping that Nissan will fork out for the repair as the vehicle is low mileage (>17k).

The main issue is that I need the vehicle back quickly. I could have coped with this happening last week but not this. I've asked them to let me know how much the repair will cost. Apparently it's not a big job, so it could be done quickly. It may be that I ask them to do it and pay them, then let them chase a refund from Nissan.
H

If they over-filled it, or left some oil in the breather, then that would have been sucked all the way through the turbo and the inlet tract - which are normally quite oily anyway.

Unless the turbo bearings are completely shot; then the only reason that they spew oil into the inlet is if there is crankcase pressure.

Did this happen the first time you put some real load on the engine?
There was no load on the engine. As I remember I was changing up gears when this happened.

As I understand the turbo was removed and examined. The veins were fine but the seals (IIRC) were shot. This is where the oil was coming in.

Anyway, all that is behind us now. Nissan and the dealership are meeting some 70% of the cost between them, eaving me with just under £600 to pay.

TBH it's £600 that I really didn't want to have to fork out, just as I was getting some money behind me from work etc, but I suppose it could have been a lot worse.

I may ask them for a report and post it back here.
Hugo

When someone starts flannelling about "oil seals" on a turbo; then you know there's something fishy going on.....
Sorry, oil seals were my words.

I can't remember exactly what was said but the gist of it was the bearings or similar.

As I understand the turbo is lubricated via the oil as is the rest of the engine. It's this oil escaping via the turbo that is causing the problems.

The DP tells me that they can trace oil from the turbo into the inlet manifold I think.

I'm going to ask them for a full report. TBH I have had such a bad week and there is heaps going on at the moment that I haven't been paying too much attention.
Hugo

Frankly; this stinks. You deliver a perfectly healty, low mileage, van for a service - and you get it back with ruined turbo bearings??

Did they start and run it with no oil in it? That will kill a turbo very effectively.