2001 1.5dci - ABS light intermittantly on and off. - Christopher
Afternoon folks.

Have a problem with the old work horse. I now use this as a second car and is used for any rough / commuting jobs. Have had a problem with the ABS light on the dash.
Went to a festival a few weekends ago. Parking a nightmare and due to the lake of mud in car park, had to be towed out of field by a tractor. Resultant mud in the wheel arch, suspention mounts and brakes was severe. All has been cleaned now but the ABS warning light has been going on and off intermittently. I can feel a slight decrease in feeling from the brakes but overall efficiency seems fine.
A) is this anything to worry about
B) can it be fixdd by myself...if so how &
C) would such problems cause terminal problems with the ABS system?

Many thanks ina advance for all suggestions and replies.

Christopher

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 28/08/2008 at 19:33

2001 1.5 ABS clio 2001 - dci 65 - DP
All I can think of relating to mud is if one of the toothed reluctor rings on the driveshaft has picked up some mud between its teeth. This will confuse the sensor, and flag the warning light.

Either that, or water has got into one of the connections when you cleaned the mud off.

With regard to being something to worry about, it will need sorting. An ABS warning will fail the next MOT, and could raise ugly questions from insurers if involved in an accident.

Cheers
DP
2001 1.5dci - ABS light intermittantly on and off. - polecat10
just had the same problem with my ford puma but my ABS was cutting in all the time too(even when not braking) I fixed it by removing the front wheels and feeding a cloth between the face of the ABS sensor (which was covered in crumbs of rust) and the notched wheel (the gap was a couple of mms)and giving it a good rub backwards and forwards to clean the face of the sensors.
Don't know if the clio has exactly the same setup but worth a try as it only yakes 20 inutes or so and saved me spending £150 quid in a garage.