Standard MOT fee for Car inc VAT? - paul2007
Hello

The day after tomorrow, I've booked my car in fora MOT.
Had the car since new since Sept 2003, so my third MOT.

My question is, can vat be added to the MOT cost which is about £50 for a family saloon?

I'm certain the MB carry out the MOT on their site but just looked at my 2 previous MOT's and vat has been added.
Thanks.

Edited by Pugugly on 25/08/2008 at 19:01

Stanard MOT fee for Car inc VAT? - Screwloose

As a general rule; there's no VAT on an MOT test. [NI may be different.]

It gets complicated if the MOT becomes part of another charge that is subject to VAT - or if there is a different price charged than the actual cost paid for a [trade] test.
Stanard MOT fee for Car inc VAT? - colino
The maximum chargeable for a car just now is £53.10 on the mainland and it is not subject to VAT. then again if any testers round here charged that they would be short of custom pretty quick.
Stanard MOT fee for Car inc VAT? - paul2007
Thanks, but the mot was a stand alone and vothing else wa done.
Just been reading the 'directgov, vospa' site, does not menion VAT.

Are Mercdes dealerships taking the p?

I suggest that you put that question directly to them.

If their answer is less than clear; [and not accompanied by an immediate refund] a call to Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs will ensure an in-depth VAT investigation team will descend upon them and repeat the question - forcefully.

HMRC really, really, hate VAT fiddles....
Will do ............may even phone tomorrow & try & fit in car as I'm on leave from work - will update.

The certainly added vat to te stand alone mot's the last two times..car passed so no extra work.

I will only ask once they've aded the vat.
Thanks all
Stanard MOT fee for Car inc VAT? - Pugugly
From the VAT people's website.

6. Do you deal with MoT testing?

MoT testing of vehicles supplied directly by a test centre to its customers is outside the scope of VAT, provided the statutory maximum fee is not exceeded. The statutory maximum fees can be found on the directgov website.

If a garage is not an approved test centre, it may arrange for a vehicle to be tested elsewhere as part of its service to the vehicle?s owner. Where the unapproved garage shows the exact amount charged by the test centre separately on its invoice to its customer, and meets all the other disbursement conditions of paragraph 25.1.1 of VAT Notice 700 The VAT Guide, it may treat the MoT element as a disbursement and outside the scope of VAT.

The unapproved garage will, however, have to account for VAT on the full amount of the invoice if it chooses not to treat the amount charged by the test centre as a disbursement, does not satisfy all the disbursement conditions, or makes a profit on the MoT transaction.

Paragraph 25.4 of VAT Notice 700 covers the VAT position of MoT test charges in detail.

Check your facts before acting !
Thanks Pugly

I've just read that on the directgov site, made no sense then, nor does it now.
Please post in plain English if possible.
:)
Mrs P will translate it for me later !
Mrs P will translate it for me later !

Into Welsh?

[Seems commendably clear for a VAT document....]
I was rather hoping into English !
Stanard MOT fee for Car inc VAT? - oldnotbold
If you book the car direct into an MoT testing centre then the test is not VATable.

If you take it to a garage that is not an MoT tester, but takes it to an MoT tester for you, then it could be VATable, but it's unlikely, is the way I read it.
Stanard MOT fee for Car inc VAT? - Bill Payer
If you take it to a garage that is not an MoT tester but takes
it to an MoT tester for you then it could be VATable but it's unlikely
is the way I read it.

It's VATable unless the true and correct cost of the MOT is itemised out.

If the garage just puts, say, "Service & MOT, £175" then the MOT is vatable.
me too
Standard MOT fee for Car inc VAT? - paul2007
Hello, ust returNed from the MB dealer, they fitted me iN for a while u wait slot for mot as quiet today.

Mot, plus VAT = just over 62/63 quid (paperwork is upstairs so & me is lazy)

I asked about the vat = their response was that it was because it was not them that did the mot. (it's a mot centre taht backs on to them) I accepted that quiet easily as my Merc passed her mot with flying colours & they had cleaned in and the ouside of the car.

Thank you all.

Standard MOT fee for Car inc VAT? - Tron
I use my VOSA council run MOT testing centre £40 all in.

Added bonus to this is that I have no worries about them 'looking' for minor reasons to fail just so they can make monies out of the gullable...
Standard MOT fee for Car inc VAT? - Bill Payer
I use my VOSA council run MOT testing centre £40 all in.
Added bonus to this is that I have no worries about them 'looking' for minor
reasons to fail just so they can make monies out of the gullable...

I've heard mixed reports about them - there's a BT one near me that quite a few people seem to use. Some say they're very pernickity.
Standard MOT fee for Car inc VAT? - jase1
Yes I have heard the same.

Surely if you can find an honest indie it isn't an issue? The only time I've had my cars not pass at our local place is when they've been jalopies on their last legs, and I knew fine well that they'd struggle.

Couple of years back we had a car fail on emissions -- garage located the problem (exhaust gasket blowing) and fixed without charge. Drove the car away two hours later.

Wouldn't get that from VOSA!!
Surely if you can find an honest indie it isn't an issue?

I tend to use our village garage - I had a Clio pass there one day, then took it to the dealer next day for service (had a 5yr Renault warranty that needed dealer servicing) and they told me it would fail MOT on the indicator bulbs not being orange enough!

I know this is a failure point, but they actually did look pretty orange.
Standard MOT fee for Car inc VAT? - jase1
Yes, a Hyundai I had failed on bulbs "insufficiently orange".

Again, garage replaced without charge.

These things cost pennies -- it's just good service to go around and fix things rather than antagonise people.
Again garage replaced without charge.

I vividly remember I was quoted £12 (I guess 15mins labour) plus parts. And this was quite a few years ago.
Standard MOT fee for Car inc VAT? - dieselbob
I had our old Galaxy tested yesterday. The independant garage i use lodges on our site at work and doesn't do its own MOT tests. It use a test centre just over a mile away round trip. My total bill of £71.14 was broken down to, MOT test: £43.00 (zero vat), 0.17hrs LAB: £5.95 and weld exhaust bracket: £18.00. Total VAT payable £4.19. It would seem that VAT charges depends on how good your garages accounting system is.

Standard MOT fee for Car inc VAT? - Mapmaker
www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/reclaim-disbursements.htm

Standard MOT fee for Car inc VAT? - billy25
when I had cars i used to use our local Shell garage, ( there were other garages that did MOT's, but this was the only one that sold petrol) - I found they were very loathe to fail a car, as every car they put off the road took petrol pennies out of thier pockets, and in a small rural town, every penny counts! They were even known to fix minor faults free of charge, when they actually came across it during the MOT so that they could pass it!

Billy
Standard MOT fee for Car inc VAT? - qxman {p}
I took one of our cars to the local garage yesterday. MoT was done and he charged £25, its been this price for about the last three years IIRC. There's a couple of others also charge £25. You book a time and he does it while you wait, you get a free retest if returned within 7 days. The local Peugeot dealer take their cars there, probably charging their customers the full VOSA £53 (plus VAT?).