1999 1.8 normal appearance of oil on dipstick ? - jp147
This question refers to a petrol engined car.

I have read that sometimes the oil on the dipstick can look "milky" if there are head gasket problems looming, but can you describe exactly what is meant by this type of oil appearance ?

p.s. sometimes when I check my oil level on the dipstick I notice that the oil does not always go across the full width of the dipstick - is this normal or is there something wrong with my oil (5W 30) ??

Edited by Pugugly on 22/08/2008 at 22:32

1999 1.8 normal appearance of oil on dipstick ? - DP
If water is mixing with the oil, you get a frothy caramelly "mayonnaise" effect around the oil filler cap (and sometimes on the dipstick) which looks something like this:

webhome.idirect.com/~alsimion/vw/oil_cap_800.jpg

This can also be caused to a degree by a life of short journeys, as the condensation that forms inside the engine builds up over time because the engine never gets hot enough to boil it off.

As long as the oil isn't the colour of the pic (or anything like it), and at the correct level, you probably have nothing to worry about on the head gasket front. Check inside the filler cap too.
1999 1.8 normal appearance of oil on dipstick ? - mfarrow
oil does not always go across the full width of the dipstick

The bit that's not got oil across the full width obviously isn't dipping into the sump. Wipe the dipstick, and try again.
1999 1.8 normal appearance of oil on dipstick ? - L'escargot
p.s. sometimes when I check my oil level on the dipstick I notice that the
oil does not always go across the full width of the dipstick -

Try checking the oil first thing in the morning before starting the engine, when the oil has had a chance to settle and the dipstick tube is clear of oil. Just pull out the dipstick and read the level without wiping and re-inserting. Wiping and re-inserting the dipstick can give give odd readings because of the oil that is dragged up the dipstick tube when you take it out the first time.