01 1.6 intermittent speedo fault - argybargy

Friend of mine has a 2001 Ford Focus,1600 Zetec--delighted with the car apart from an intermittent failure of the speedo,which occasionally drops to zero when driving then shoots up again.Car has done around 70K miles.
As far as I know theres no loss of engine power accompanying the speedo failure,and no loss of instrumentation anywhere else on the dash.Shes only had the car a month,and its covered by a Mickey Mouse warranty from a local garage which basically excludes everything but engine and gearbox,so looks like its down to her to sort it.
I have read on a couple of other forums that this may be a speed sensor,which apparently slots into the rear of the gearbox,and which isnt an expensive part,thought can be difficult to access.
Any advice on diagnosis and/or fitting would be appreciated.Cheers in advance.
01 1.6 intermittent speedo fault - Screwloose

First have a read of this:- www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=43

Testing the vehicle speed sensor will be pointless unless the fault is present; it's so cheap and common that changing it is the normal route.

Thank you,very interesting.Will suggest she tries that route first.
01 1.6 intermittent speedo fault - skorpio
I recall a Watchdog program about Focus instrument clusters getting damp and malfunctioning.
One suggestion was to remove the whole unit, spray it with WD40 and re-fit.

Worth a try as it could prove to be a cheap fix.
01 1.6 intermittent speedo fault - Screwloose

Focus pods do fail; but they usually lose both tacho and speedo when they go.

Ford do a new unit for only £99 now.
Thank you.
As far as I know its only the speedo which is exhibiting a fault,but I think that the first route for my friend is definitely to appeal to the car salesmans sense of fair play...