2003 1.9TDi Engine Management Lamp - Railroad.
I have just bought a 53reg Octavia TDi. It's my first non-Vauxhall car for twenty-five years. Can anyone please tell me if the MIL lamp is the picture of an engine symbol or the glow plug warning lamp, as it sometimes is on diesel models?

When I switch the ignition on the the engine symbol does not light up, but the glow plug symbol does. Is this normal for this model or is it a fault?

Many thanks in advance.....

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/08/2008 at 14:25

53 1.9TDi Engine Management Lamp - Pugugly
Orange engine symbol in the Roomie, glow plug's got a separate coil thingy - same engine.
53 1.9TDi Engine Management Lamp - oldtoffee
Might be worth checking out a Skoda enthusiast site for more info, briskoda dot net is very informative.

I don't think yours has an EML light and uses the coil light so you may have a fault that may suggest EM issues but could be just a brake light issue masquerading as EM problem as we recently had on our Passat .
53 1.9TDi Engine Management Lamp - Railroad.
I spoke to a mate of mine who has the same model. The engine symbol lamp doesn't light up on his either, so as I suspected it would seem that the glow plug warning lamp is also the MIL lamp. Mine comes on when the ignition is switched on, but then goes off after a second or so. Exactly as it should do......
53 1.9TDi Engine Management Lamp - Dave_TD
Hi,

I had a Y-reg Octavia diesel for 4 years from new. There is no Engine Management light as such, but if any fault develops then the glow plug light will blink on and off at 1-second intervals whilst the engine is running. The company I worked for had 10 Octavias at one point and the only fault which made the glowplug light flash in this way was when both brake light bulbs were blown at the same time (unlikely, but it can happen). I gather the flashing glowplug light is a kind of "General Car Fault" warning, rather like the old email about what would happen if a certain software producer made cars...

If there's anything else you'd like to know about the Octavia, such as how much life you can get out of various parts etc, please ask me. I did 267k miles in mine, some of the other cars reached almost twice that mileage!

Edited by Webmaster on 21/09/2008 at 13:38

53 1.9TDi Engine Management Lamp - Railroad.
Thanks for that, I certainly will......