It's not all Black and White! - djt100
I have 2 cars A Volvo C70 T5 Auto and a VW Bora 1.9TDI Auto.

I drive 38 miles each way to work so 384 miles week.

I've driven both cars to work for a week and worked out the average Fuel Consumption for each

The Volvo 35mpg and the Bora 47mpg.

Doing my sums it will cost me at todays fuel prices £553 a year more to drive the Volvo to work over the bora.

But here is the rub, I brought the volvo before the fuel prices went silly and paid £4500 14 months ago.
I brought the Bora to replace the Volvo for £4500 about 2 months ago.

I've been trying to sell the Volvo since then and had no luck and just a few bites offering silly prices (£1400!) ... so if i sell it now i will loose £3000 on it..

So I'm Selling the Bora, It would take almost 6 years of driving to get the money back on driving a more econimical car. !!....

So for anyone thinking of getting rid of there nice big comfy car and getting something smaller / diesel / more econimical. Then Don't, You'll be worse off for a very long time!!.

On the other side of the coin if you are changing cars, Buy a nice big comfy one, there has never been a better time. They are going for peanuts.
It's not all Black and White! - jase1
Yup, been saying this for years.

The extra costs of buying a diesel (or any car really) outweigh the amount you save unless you cover many tens of thousands of miles.

The true way of saving money is to replace the car less often. Fact.
It's not all Black and White! - moonshine {P}

Guys, don't let the cat out of the bag. :)

Large comfy cars are nothing more than money pits and the government will be hitting you ever harder with increased taxes. Oil prices are only ever going ot head in one direction so expect even more expensive fuel in the future. Anyone with a large and comfy or sporty car should cut their losses and sell for whatever price you can get, especially owners of Mkiv supras and mitsu 3000's - to do my bit for the environment I'm prepared to sacrifice my own wallet and buy one of these for peanuts.
It's not all Black and White! - movilogo
So how much you're selling the Bora for?
It's not all Black and White! - Mapmaker
I guess you'll get about £2,500 for the Bora? Probably better off selling the Volvo for whatever you can get - put it on eBay in mid-September; August is the pits for selling any sort of motor.

It's not all Black and White! - TheOilBurner
Keep the C70 T5 and enjoy driving a quick, comfy car whilst you still can. When the enviro-facists and taxman has finally killed off enjoyable driving, that's when a bore-mobile like the Bora will make sense...

I've lost a stack on my S80 since I bought it last year (a year too early!) but I don't care, in 5-10 years time such cars may not even be available, let alone affordable to run - so I'm enjoying it for as long as I can.