US Chevvy Driver literally pays in $$$ & cents - Falkirk Bairn
An Ohio man with a hatred of paper money slapped down $8,000 in coins at a car dealership to buy a Chevrolet pick-up - then paid the rest by cheque.

James Jones, 70, produced 16 coffee cans full of coins to buy his new Chevrolet Silverado in Cincinnati and staff spent 90 minutes counting it.

But his coin hoard only covered half of the $16,000 (£8,500) price tag.

The man's son said the most amazing thing for him was his father deciding to replace his 1981 pick-up at all.

After 27 years he probably needed a change!
US Chevvy Driver literally pays in $$$ & cents - Screwloose

I wonder if the IRS were aware of the source of those coins.....

Just goes to show that you can't take anyone for granted. Back in the 70s a salesman in a South-Coast Jag dealership ignored a Catholic priest looking at the new XJS. After a while he got fed up and went over to him.

"Nice car;" said the priest. "Yes; said the salesman. They're £12,000 you know." [Now go away...]

"I'd like one;" said the priest. "Wouldn't we all, father;" [p******!] said the salesman.

At that; the priest produced a shopping-bag full of small-denomination notes and bought it - it took the bank over half an hour to count all the notes; mostly ones and fivers. He wouldn't say where he got the money......
US Chevvy Driver literally pays in $$$ & cents - gmac
If the guy had taken his sofa on the back of his old truck he could probably have paid the rest with the loose change from there and saved himself a check.
US Chevvy Driver literally pays in $$$ & cents - Lud
I used to go to school by bus in Plymouth in the early fifties. We evil nippers used to save our, er, half-halfpennies (their proper name is censored here) to annoy one particular choleric conductor. Never failed to send him up the wall to have to count out 36 small coins for a ninepenny fare, sometimes four times in succession. He didn't take it quietly either.
US Chevvy Driver literally pays in $$$ & cents - mike hannon
The only thing that amazes me about this story is the 16000 dollars (8.5k Sterling - well, it was yesterday anyway) for a new Silverado!
US Chevvy Driver literally pays in $$$ & cents - Pugugly
Silverado........!
US Chevvy Driver literally pays in $$$ & cents - zookeeper
dont we in britian have a minimum legal tender to stop numpties paying in small coinage for fines and such, i was thinking any coin below 20p ( actually brass coinage is worth more at the scrappy than at the bank of england at present)
US Chevvy Driver literally pays in $$$ & cents - freddy1
you know this story is going around all the forums , but it smells like pork!

$16000 = £8500 , for a nice truck BRAND NEW?

Seems kosher; follow the link on this BBC News site; invent a ZIP and you'll find that they're only $15,500 upwards.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7559881.stm
US Chevvy Driver literally pays in $$$ & cents - tawse
A friend was telling only a few days ago about an IT Contractor friend of his who apparently walked into a Porsche dealership with a bag full of cash and said "I've have that one!".

I am told it resulted in the Police being called as they suspected he had not gained the cash legally.

US Chevvy Driver literally pays in $$$ & cents - L'escargot
.......... an IT Contractor friend of
his who apparently walked into a Porsche dealership with a bag full of cash and
said "I've have that one!".

He couldn't have been very discerning if he bought a bog standard one straight out of the showroom.
And highly unlikely given money laundering regulations.
US Chevvy Driver literally pays in $$$ & cents - tawse
And highly unlikely given money laundering regulations.

This was about 12 years ago - prior to any money-laundering rules re 10K sums.

Lots of people pay for all sorts of things with big bags full of cash. There is nothing illegal about - it is cash after all. As long as you can show that you got it legally there is no problem.

$19k new according to a dealer's website.
$19k new according to a dealer's website.

The GM site shows a $3,000 cashback deduction. There are also a lot of different versions.

You're not developing another hankering - are you?
US Chevvy Driver literally pays in $$$ & cents - L'escargot
The GM site shows a $3 000 cashback deduction.

What's the difference between paying $x and getting $3000 back, and paying $(x-3000)?

Why don't they just give a $3000 discount?
US Chevvy Driver literally pays in $$$ & cents - In Theory
Why don't they just give a $3000 discount?

>>

They are, but wording it differently for psychological effect. A common enough form of trickery in marketing.
US Chevvy Driver literally pays in $$$ & cents - Mapmaker
It also may allow you to have a car loan for 75% of the 19k value, but to get an extra 3k back.

Equally, they rely on a proportion of people not actually claiming the money.
No. Had a rid ein a very big Nissan AMamam (or whatever) pick up today - far too rough for me !