Cracks in tyre tread - Bill Payer
During a recent MOT it was advised that one of the tyres was "perished". The tester had gone home when I collected the car and the service manager thought it was nothing to worry about.

So I took the wheel off yesterday and in one of the tread grooves, there's an alarming looking open crack that runs right around the tyre. It's a Dunlop SP Sport 2000E, and came with the car new and has done 33K miles in 4yrs - on the NSR of the car, and it still has plenty of tread left.

It's never been over or under inflated and the tyre on the opposite side (same details) looks fine.

Anyone know why it would crack open like this?

Edited by Bill Payer on 14/08/2008 at 13:01

Cracks in tyre tread - cheddar
I recall that we changed the original rear tyres (Michelins) on our Clio when it was around 4 years old because they were "perishing" even though they appeared hardly worn, the car only did about 20k in its first 5 years. However the still unused Michelin spare apears as good as new, that being said we would only use it in emergencies.
Cracks in tyre tread - Hamsafar
Had to change original fit Dunlops on a 2001 Punto after 4 years due to really bad perishing. Not a fan of Dunlops.
Cracks in tyre tread - George Porge
Which side of the car is the fuel filler?

I always rotate tyres on our cars, all 4 being replaced at the same time if possible, providing non are replaced due to punctures etc

Edited by Dox on 14/08/2008 at 16:16

Cracks in tyre tread - 659FBE
When you park your car, which side is in the sun?

When you park your car which side is in the sun?

The other side - both at home and at work, the perished side faces pretty squarely east.
Which side of the car is the fuel filler?

It is on the same side.

I've never believed in rotating the tyres - I guess in the back of mind I think it might not be good for a tyre to suddenly be rotating in a different direction. But for all I know, that might actually be a good thing.
Cracks in tyre tread - George Porge
I just move front to back etc on the same side.

Is there a vent for the fuel tank under that wheel arch?