SORN - shooby337
Just brought a car that is SORN. Its on a drive in Bournemouth and need to get it back to Southampton. Need to do this tommorrow. How do I undeclare it SORN? Do I just buy a new tax disc and automatically does this?
Thanks
SORN - Screwloose

Yes; if you tax it now, back to the first of August, you should be fine.

Alternatively; move it on a trailer - but remember to cover the number plates.
SORN - Kevin
Probably least hassle way is to book an MOT in Southampton. You're allowed to drive a vehicle without RFL as long as you're on your way to a pre-booked MOT.

You won't be able to buy a tax disc without the hardcopy insurance certificate.

Kevin...
SORN - Pugugly
Be cautious doing that - it is a defence in law, but if you were seen to be driving an unreasonable distance to an MoT (e.g. passing a few MoT places en-route) you may find the defence fades a bit.
SORN - Screwloose

Pass an ANPR camera and it will all get a bit messy; the DVLA will demand 5 times the tax back to it's last tax expiry and you'll have to convince them why not - hence my note about covering number plates.
SORN - Kevin
PU said:

>Be cautious doing that... you may find the defence fades a bit.

Bournemouth to Southampton is about 20 miles, not unreasonable especially if he lives there. If the vehicle already has a valid MOT and he has a cover note reference number - even better.

The OP can't tax the car because he would need to present the hardcopy insurance certificate. Getting into a conversation with post office counter staff about why the names on V5, insurance cert. and cheque don't match is no fun either.

The other alternative is to get the seller to tax the vehicle.

Screwloose said:

>Pass an ANPR camera and it will all get a bit messy

If the OP can show that he has insurance cover, that he is on his way to a pre-booked MOT and has a receipt to show that he has just bought the car there is nothing the DVLA can do. The only caveat is if the MOT has been booked (as PU notes) an unreasonable distance away.

There's always the Terrorism Act though if they really want to get him.

At least the paperwork should have come through after 42 days :-0

Kevin...
SORN - mike hannon
Would somebody be kind enough to explain the SORN implications to an ex-pat who is looking to buy a car in the UK and take it out of the country.
I have already turned down one nice motor because it isn't taxed and the guy bought it a year ago from someone else and hasn't changed the registration. He hasn't mentioned it is SORNed.
The rule in France now, apparently, is that a vehicle bought from a private owner in another country has to have been owned by that person for at least six months before the sale - presumably this is an anti-money laundering measure.
This complicates life for me and the fact that a car isn't currently taxed makes it worse because although I have a valid UK address I don't have UK insurance so I can't just put a tax disc on it to get the car out of the country and turn the disc in for a refund a few months later.
I'm also reluctant to let a dealer tax a car because presumably he would have to register it in his name first?
What I am trying to establish is this: if a car hasn't been taxed or SORNed would I be liable for a huge fine if I bought it and tried to get it out of the country without putting a new disc on it?
And is it really true that a camera would probably recognise the car and log an offence between wherever I bought it and the ferry port?
Maybe all this means I can only buy a car that is currently in use by a private owner or has come back to a dealer with a current tax disc on it? This would be complicated because I am looking for a car at least 15 years old.
Before anyone says 'why not just buy an old car in France?', I can only say 'have you seen prices and what passes for restoration over there?'
Hope someone can make this a bit clearer for me...
SORN - Dwight Van Driver
All that SORN does is provide DVLA with continuity in relation to the state of Excise in relation to that vehicle i.e.

it is licensed or

it is off road unlicensed (SORN)

If there is an unSORN break of more than 1 month then they send out an £80 surcharge/fine.

SORN has to be submitted annually or when a new owner and it will drop off SORN automatically when a new Licence is isuued.

Getting a vehicle out of the Country (export) is possible without a Licence as under Veh Excise & Reg Act 1994 there is provision for an export to be an 'exempt' vehicle from tax providing, as far as I can see, VAT has been paid.

DVLA have to be informed before hand and they will no doubt advise just exactly what the procedure is.

dvd
SORN - mike hannon
Thanks DVD, that's one hurdle fewer, I hope.
SORN - moonshine {P}
Bournemouth to Southampton is about 20 miles not unreasonable especially if he lives there.

20 miles is certainly reasonable, I always drive about 30 miles to the MOT place I use, I don't trust any of the ones I have locally.

Getting into a conversation with post office counter staff about why the names on

Many years ago I had a similiar issue when trying to tax a car, the insurance co had got one letter wrong on the covernote and the PO refused to give me a tax disk. This was on a Friday and the new covernote wouldn't arrive until the following week. I had arranged to take the car to a show on the Sunday so I stupidly took a chance - ended up about £450 out of pocket as a result...
SORN - oldnotbold
"How do I undeclare it SORN?"

The change of ownership automatically removes the current SORN. You either have to tax it, or re-declare SORN, both with 30 days, I think.