will my car be put on the write off database? - magickat
hi,

can anyone help me?
I was involved in an accident and my car has now been deemed as an insurance write off as the cost of repairs will outweigh the cost of the vehicle. however the estimate for repairs was done at my insurance companies authorised repairer and i have since spoken to several other garages and they say they could repair the car for half of the price.
I have heard on the grape vine that if i 'buy the car back' from the insurance company and get it repaired within a month then it wont go onto the database as write off.

does any one know if this is true or where i can find out if t is true?

any information would be greatly appreciated as i need to get the car moved as quickly as possible before i start getting charged storage fees.

thanks.
xxx
will my car be put on the write off database? - Dwight Van Driver
Surely if it is a write off then ity becomes the property of your Insurers.

Would have thought that a dialogue between your and your Insurers should resolve your query?

dvd
will my car be put on the write off database? - movilogo
From your description it looks like you car will be a Category C or D write (no structural damage but write off from cost point of view).

Yes, you can buy back from your insurer.

Many insurer don't have a problem insuring a properly repaired Cat C/D cars.

However, if it is a Cat A or B write off, you better dispose the car off.
will my car be put on the write off database? - Westpig
I have had this in the past with my old car (which is now on a 'classic policy', but at the time of an accident wasn't).

negotiate with your insurance co, get through the 'we usually deal with it like this' bit. Remind them you've paid for a service. You don't have to give up ownership of the car to the insurnace co., it's your car after all.

Get an estimate elsewhere, tell the ins co. the car is repairable as far as you're concerned and you'd like them to settle a repair bill and you will not be giving the car up to them as a write off.

it may take a few tries and speaking with management, because the people first to answer the phone will be used to dealing with it a certain way. If you politely stick to your guns, you'll get there in the end.
will my car be put on the write off database? - MVP
Cat A = straight in the crusher
Cat B = spare parts only
C & D repairable

MVP
will my car be put on the write off database? - martint123
PLus CAT X = writeoff, but not on the database! ( suspected to help the insurer to get a better price at salvage auctions on newer vehicles ??).

Edited by martint123 on 14/08/2008 at 12:24

will my car be put on the write off database? - Dynamic Dave
www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=33
www.motorsalvage.com/abicodes.lasso
will my car be put on the write off database? - Chris S
Can anybody view this database? If so does somebody have a URL please?
will my car be put on the write off database? - martint123
Can anybody view this database? If so does somebody have a URL please?

One of the reasons you have to pay for an HPI check - not a freebie.