Why isn't corrosion on discs removed by pads? - L'escargot
One of the rear brake discs of my car has a band of heavy corrosion on one of the braking faces, about 8 mm wide at the outside of the disc. The rest of the disc's face is clean. I'm not concerned about it because it's passed two MOTs, but I'm curious as to why this corrosion hasn't been worn away by normal use of the brakes. Is the corrosion harder/tougher than the parent metal of the disc?

Just to give you the full story ........... all four discs were very rusty when I bought the car due to it only having done 4000 miles in 16 months (and hence having stood idle for long periods) but there's now only just that one disc which still shows corrosion.

Edited by L'escargot on 12/08/2008 at 08:30

Why isn't corrosion on discs removed by pads? - SteVee
Caliper is partially seized ?
Or is not applying the pad fully because improper assembly / parts ?
Why isn't corrosion on discs removed by pads? - b308
Or pads worn unevenly?
Why isn't corrosion on discs removed by pads? - Cliff Pope
If the previous pads had worn unevenly they might have caused uneven wear of the disc - ie there might be a gradation of wear across the face. New pads will not bear evenly until either thet wear down to match the disc profile, or the disc wears, or both.
Once uneven wear has started it tends to be reproduced, so even new pads take longer to bed in across the whole face.
That's been my observation anyway.
I have successfully hastened the bedding in by use of sandpaper on a flat block round the rustier section.
If the previous pads ...

They're the original pads. (The car has only done 37,000 miles.)
Why isn't corrosion on discs removed by pads? - Cliff Pope
They must be well on their way now then. I'd clean up the disk with sandpaper and then fit new pads.
They must be well on their way now then.

Nope ~ I'm not that heavy on brakes! And it is a rear brake when all said and done.

Edited by L'escargot on 12/08/2008 at 10:34

Why isn't corrosion on discs removed by pads? - ifithelps
Can't see why a snail needs brakes at all.:)

To be sensible for a moment, pads and discs changed on my diesel Focus at about 65k.

Drums at the back which I don't think have been touched.

Edited by ifithelps on 12/08/2008 at 10:41

Why isn't corrosion on discs removed by pads? - Mapmaker
>>>They must be well on their way now then after 37,000 miles

Says the man who has a Volvo that has been to the sun and back and is on its first set of discs and second set of pads?
Why isn't corrosion on discs removed by pads? - SteVee
>>They're the original pads. (The car has only done 37,000 miles.) <<
It's not the wrong parts / poor fitting then.
I'd still guess at a sticking / seized caliper. Take it off and clean it up, make sure it operates smoothly and applies both pads evenly.
You can probably only see one side of the disc - the inside may be much worse.

The mileage isn't really relevant.
You can probably only see one side of the disc - the inside may be
much worse.

There is a shield on the inside, but with the aid of a torch and a mirror I can just see the disc in two places.
Why isn't corrosion on discs removed by pads? - Red Baron
If the surface corrosion has progressed to pitting corrosion then a fair bit of metal will have to be removed to eradicate the rust. And, as already suggested above, if the pad and discs are not running truely parallel then it certainly appears that the outer circumference is not being heavily contacted.
........... if
the pad and discs are not running truely parallel then it certainly appears that the
outer circumference is not being heavily contacted.

The transition from the clean part of the disc to the corroded part isn't gradual, it's absolutely abrupt. I can only assume that the corroded part is more abrasive than the clean part and hence it wears the pad so quick that there is never any real pressure between the pad and the disc in that area and the corrosion is never removed by the pad.
Why isn't corrosion on discs removed by pads? - FotheringtonThomas
The transition from the clean part of the disc to the corroded part isn't gradual
it's absolutely abrupt.

I wonder whether the components are of different sizes compared to the other side, or whether the pad on that side was faulty and/or has broken away. I realise these are original fittings.
I can only assume that the corroded part is more abrasive than
the clean part

That doesn't fit well with the other discs being different, and that there's an abrupt change in surface condition.
Why isn't corrosion on discs removed by pads? - Lud
It's not unusual for manufacturing or assembly irregularities to result in slight differences between the positions of pad surfaces in relation to the disc, or for the pad friction material to be slightly differently placed on the pad backplate. Sometimes differences are present in the calipers too. My impression is that some makes of pads are better and more precisely finished than others. Perhaps this is an extreme example. 8mm does sound a lot though.

Edited by Lud on 12/08/2008 at 13:00