Clio Campus for 5995 new - Miller
Going to look at one tomorrow. I know it is a "run-out" model but seems to have a decent spec for the price. Anyone on here own one? Any problems not covered by the warranty?
Clio Campus for 5995 new - SteVee
16v or 8valve ?
I would guess the 8v - same as my wife's Clio. A good little car - not had any trouble with hers (except for losing keys). The only major change is that the production moved out of france to (I think) slovenia.

Clio Campus for 5995 new - jase1
£5995 new?

Sounds good to me. I don't like Renaults (at all) and even I'd be tempted.

From a purely mercenary perspective you'd probably be able to get a year's motoring out of such a car for about a grand in depreciation.
Clio Campus for 5995 new - Collos25
Renault always seem to do it with the outgoing Cleo model I suppose it allows them to get every last penny out of the press dies.
Well, I have been for a test drive and placed an order. Of course there was a 3 month wait for a non metallic one so going for metallic black plus an optional CD player (it comes with a cassette as standard!) bumped up the price to nearly 6500.

For the kit you get it still seems an excellent offer, apparantly lots of old Clio customers are put off by the size of the new one so they will be selling this run out model for another year or two yet.
Clio Campus for 5995 new - boxsterboy
(it comes with a cassette as standard!) >>

A what? Is that good or bad? ;-)

Seriously, though £5,995 is spectacular VFM
Clio Campus for 5995 new - maz64
According to Renault website, on the road price is £8175 (standard kit). Engine is 1.2 8v '60'.

Edited by Focus {P} on 12/08/2008 at 18:08

Clio Campus for 5995 new - Nickdm
But it's not really £5995 is it? Because as usual there are no non-metallic colours available so they slap on 300-odd quid for metallic.

It gets my goat that manufacturers pull this stunt time and time again. We punish the likes of Ryanair for publishing misleading, unobtainable fares, but car sellers are often just as guilty
True, but bear in mind metallic is usully worth more when you come to sell.
Clio Campus for 5995 new - ifithelps
Friend had a couple of these and they are very nice little cars, although some people find the driving position a bit odd.

You might get a Kia Rio for similar money - never been in one, but they have a good name and it would give you some extra room.

And two extra doors as well.:)
Clio Campus for 5995 new - Rattle
I have driven both the new and old models. I prefer the way the old one drives, the new one has an awful notchy gearbox (at least the one I have driven) the power steering is ovely light although you get used to this and in the city you actually prefer it to hydraulic power steering.

The only thing that puts me of old Clio is the build quality is a little bit lacking, but for £6k its a great car, safer and better equiped than the Ka from the same era, but the Ka is better to drive.

I think this Clio is certainly much better deal than some of the far east offerings for £6k. The Kia Rio is rather cheap and nasty inside.

If I had £6k I would buy this Clio like a shot, but for now my R reg Fiesta Ghia is still a lovely car so until its chasis rots through or a piston goes through the block that will stay.
Clio Campus for 5995 new - Chrome
"The Kia Rio is rather cheap and nasty inside."

Rubbish! I have owned from new a base Rio diesel GS April '07 and 14k, IMO it is anything but:

1) No interior rattles or creaks (unlike my previous Citroen Xsara!)
2) Excellent trim fit with plenty of useful cubby holes
3) Clear instruments and good quality switchgear (adjustable intermittent speed on front wipers)
4) Damped passenger grab handles
5) Superbly comfortable seats , I recently drove 450 miles up to northern Scotland without any back pains, numbness etc
6) Great air-con and heater output

I am sure the Clio is also a good car but the Rio is also worth considering............

Edited by Chrome on 14/08/2008 at 08:58

Clio Campus for 5995 new - Bill Payer
You can buy a new Mitsubishi Colt for £5995, and they do a 3yr servicing deal for £185 (you need that, as Mitsubishi servicing is expensive).

We have a 5dr one with a/c and paid £7500 for it a year ago, but I think they're available for around £7K now.

I think the car is good, especially for the money, although I'm less happy with Mitsubishi UK or the local dealer. (But I seem to have problems with *all* dealers).
Clio Campus for 5995 new - motorprop
considering it costs manufacturers about £20 extra to paint a car metallic as opposed to ' regular ' , charging another £500 for that and a CD tuner is obscene , they probably get the latter for £20 tops . I'd have called their bluff and walked away . Shows they don't really have the car at £5995 ??
Clio Campus for 5995 new - MichaelR
Sounds like a crap deal, why spend £6k on a car introduced in 2001 and replaced 2 years ago?
Clio Campus for 5995 new - carl_a
For my money the best buy at the moment is the Hyundai Getz 1.1 GSI, you'll find new ones for less than 6k and that includes aircon. The engines not the best in the world (having said that its better than an 8v Renault), but it does return good mpg and they are well built. There are 1.4 versions for £500 more.

The Colt is an ok option for around 6k but they are face lifting it soon with a Lancer front nose (looks far worse) hopefull they'll sort out the dash and produce the 1.1 with 120g or less of co2.
Clio Campus for 5995 new - The Melting Snowman
You can get a Ford KA for £4999. £6000 will get a two year old new shape Clio.
Clio Campus for 5995 new - Pugugly
"KA"

Well at least a Megane is properly rust proofed.

Edited by Pugugly on 18/08/2008 at 22:14

Clio Campus for 5995 new - jase1
Well at least a Megane is properly rust proofed.

True enough, however unless I was intending on keeping the car for 10 years or more this wouldn't worry me too much.

The fact that the Ka rots to powder after five years doesn't seem to hurt their resale values one bit.

Not saying I'd buy a Ka (I don't like them at all, give me a Clio any day) but this isn't the reason (as far as I'm concerned anyway).
Clio Campus for 5995 new - cheddar
The Clio is a well proven design, very well rust proofed, a good chassis, quite fun to drive, the 1.2 is lively enough, gutsy where as some of the small 16v engines need a load of revs to get anywhere, cheap insurance and tax.

Is aircon an option?

As has been said stunning VFM though the fact that a new one can be had for under £6k means that a nearly new one can be had for ........

Edited by cheddar on 19/08/2008 at 09:30

Clio Campus for 5995 new - stevekay
The Hyundai Getz is in runout mode now - the i20 is due next month to replace it - and 3 door 1.1's with a stash load kit more than the renault inc. a/c and a 5 year warranty are only £5995. As stated above though, try for a nearly new one and you might squeeze one for £5k with 4+ years warranty.
Clio Campus for 5995 new - DP
The Clio is a cracking deal at under 6k, and a sharp looking, decent driving car. Some of the car supermarkets are asking the same money for 20,000 mile 56 platers (in non metallic colours)

Cheers
DP