I'm buying a Touran! - valmiki
(well almost)

I'm planning to stick the order in on monday after I've had the weekend to think about it and consulting with you all.

Thanks to honestjohn.co.uk, who provides a list of the 'best market deals'. Wouldn't have known about it otherwise.

Drivethedeal is able to get one for me 2.0 TDI SE with about 4 grands worth of extras for a shade under £19k, an amazing £4k off.

Ok, enough plugging - is the car any good? does anybody have any good/bad comments? it fulfils my critera, growing brood, economy, just falls down on the looks department.

Has there been any known problems with the engine? I've already had a look at the car-by-car breakdown, and I also noticed that there's a replacement due next year (but which should have come out this year)? mightily confused.

I'm speccing the MFSW, but have no idea what the 'Highline' computer is able to do (I do love my stats). Ideally does anyone know where I could download the car manual?

Credit crunch issues aside, will these deals get any better? I can't see it myself even though VW must still be making a pretty profit even at these prices, if US prices are anything to go by.

Annoyingly the local VW dealer doesn't have any of these in stock to look at, apart from a fleeting look at one that was being prepped for delivery.

On a separate note I also test-drove the RAV4 XT-R diesel which comes in at the same price via DTD. When I showed the local dealer salesman the on-line price he almost choked!

I've already mentioned on another (old) thread that I'm selling my 2001 520 LPG, for info.

I've also had a look at the clubtouran forum but I guess they all love theirs

thanks everyone

valmiki
I'm buying a Touran! - BobbyG
I have a Seat Altea 2.0tdi (140) and certainly wouldn't highlight the engine as being good in the economy stakes.
Need to drive like a vicar to get any higher than about 42-43mpg which really isn't a great figure for a modern diesel engine.
Have just driven to South of France and back, did not exceed 80mph the whole journey, sat at 77mph on the British stretches and averaged 41.5mpg.
My previous Scenic was able to get high 40's much easier.
The 1.9 VAG diesel gets much more economy.
I'm buying a Touran! - daveyjp
On my second 2.0TDi - 140 and now 170 PS, both with DSG box and I have just done a 600 mile weekend away and achieved 48 mpg. This wasn't by driving like a vicar either. Return trip of 230 miles was done in 3.5 hours - 65ish mph average, most of the journey was motorway at 70-80mph. On a holiday to Scotland I managed over 50mpg on NSL scottish roads.

I had a 1.9TDi Touran as a hire car last year in Menorca and it did us well - boot is very small with back seats up though.
The 1.9 VAG diesel gets much more economy.

BobbyG, does it feel underpowered though? that's the only thing putting me off, guess I don't like hanging around when I feel the urge!.

Like I said, VW dealer doesn't have any I can test drive, and I've heard that the 1.9 is more 'vocal'.

cheers
I'm buying a Touran! - Paul I
I have driven lots of 2.0 TDi's and 1.9's and my vote goes for the 1.9 - both my wife's car and my new car (in Sept ) have the 1.9 yes it's 35 less hp but it is also 10 MPG more !!
I'm buying a Touran! - daveyjp
The Touran we hired was a 1.9 - did mid 50 mpg over the week on Menorcan roads (not much high speed work over there) and it coped with 4 adults, a toddler and all our luggage.

For me the 10mpg is worth paying for the 2.0.
I'm buying a Touran! - henry k
Altea Ego- your comments required

I suggest a Forum search ( see top right) with parameters Touran and author Altea Ego plus select >1year.

You may find some comments of interest there.
I'm buying a Touran! - Zippy123
>>>Altea Ego- your comments required

Wasn't he Tour Van Man or something like that at the time.

He loved his car! ;-)

I bought my ex a new one three years back. She loves it but finds that the gears can be hard to select sometimes.

Roomy, practicle and well built. Reasonably economical (1.9pd) for a big lump.

I'm buying a Touran! - henry k
>>Wasn't he Tour Van Man or something like that at the time.
>>
Yes - rebranded as TourVanMan < yes its RF reborn >
>>
He loved his car! ;-)

I note the header Touran II. I think comments may refer to the earlier model.

Edited by henry k on 08/08/2008 at 23:52

I'm buying a Touran! - Avant
I'd always go for the bigger engine where there's a choice and if I can afford it. It depends of course on how you drive: if you like to get a move on as I do, you'll work a 1.9 harder and thus suffer in fuel economy.

My Golf 2.0 TD estate averages 48 mpg overall - that's about 45 in town and 52 on a long run. If I remember right, the Golf 1.9 TDI I had two cars ago only did about 2 mpg beter than that. Both more than satisfactory, but I don't regret going for the 2.0.
I'd always go for the bigger engine where there's a choice and if I can
afford it. It depends of course on how you drive: if you like to get
a move on as I do you'll work a 1.9 harder and thus suffer in
fuel economy.

That's my reasoning by going for the larger engine.

Thanks everyone, plenty to think about now.

valmiki
I'm buying a Touran! - Dr Rubber
The 2.0TDI (even in 140PS guise) is much quicker than the 1.9TDI, but the 1.9TDI is not bad in 105PS guise. If you are looking at an SE, get tinted rear windows if you have kids, it makes a huge difference. As for MFSW, most owners think is it worth the extra (its a much nicer wheel to boot) and the highline computer gives you more things to view/alter than the standard midline (autolock among other things).

And yes, the guys on www.clubtouran.net do like their touran's, but you will also find some common faults and typical MPG figures on there too (40ish for a 2.0 and 45ish for a 1.9). The concensus is also than the facelifted touran is better than the early one TVM (now Altea Ego) had. The brand new Touran is due in 2010 FWIW.

HTH

Joe
Thanks for the reply, I'm glad that the highline gives me a few more gadgety options to play with. I have ordered the nardos, tints, fogs, rear sensors, mfsw, leather and a few other bits and pieces, in black pearl.

A quick peek at the forum shows you on the front page, so I've no doubt I'll be making an appearance there in a few weeks time!