Hiring a car in Belfast, driving in to ROI - guygamps
Hi, on August 12th I am flying with family to Belfast, staying in the city a few days then driving to Enniskrone on the coast to stay on the coast for a while before coming back to Belfast. Enniskrone is across the border. I am getting quotes on line for car rental from Belfast Airport pick up and drop off, but Mrs G tells me that you have to pay extra insurance to take a rental car in to ROI and we wont be covered. I can't see anything on any web-sites I have used to get pricing that says "don't cross the border", or "crossing the border?... click here". Anyone have any experience of this?

What about hiring a car in Europe mainland and driving say from France in to Spain, how does it work.

Guy
Hiring a car in Belfast, driving in to ROI - Armitage Shanks {p}
Mrs G is muddling me, a bit. If you pay extra insurance to drive into ROI how can you not be covered? What will you be paying for? In mainland Europe when you hire a car you agree not to take into certain countries, mostly former Eastern Block police states. You are also not allowed to take high value cars into Italy as they have a good chance of disappearing.
If you want the answer to your ROI question just ring, fax or e mail the hire company in Belfast, or their UK branch if they are a big concern.
Hiring a car in Belfast, driving in to ROI - alfalfa
Shouldn't be a problem here as I know that the hire car car parks at Belfast City Airport have a mixture of UK and ROI cars in them so obviously they have cars going across the border on a regular basis. AFIK cars registered and insured in N Ireland are normally automatically insured for ROI.

alfalfa
Hiring a car in Belfast, driving in to ROI - Jamesh266
I've done this the other way round - hired a car in Dublin and drove it to Belfast. No problems at all.
Hiring a car in Belfast, driving in to ROI - NowWheels
Main prob with hiring in Belfast and driving into the Republic is that people will think you are from Norrn Iron. This is not always a good label to be tarred with.