Best used small automatic for under £4k? - fiorano
Hi all. I currently have a great W reg 1.4 Polo which I love, but a chronic arthritic problem means I need to start thinking about changing to a car with an auto gearbox. My budget will be about £4k, no more, and I'm happy to change manufacturer despite being a big VW fan. The Yaris seems tempting, but I'm reading things about it having a trick manual box rather than a normal auto, which sounds worrying. I don't really need anything bigger than a Polo, so although I like my wife's Focus, a car that size would be too big for my needs. My Polo is more than nippy enough for me, though I realise an auto will sap some power and use more fuel. Would I perhaps need a 1.6 to give me the same sort of performance I'm used to? I can't find much info on auto Polos, such as how many speeds the box has etc.

Any suggestions most appreciated!
Best used small automatic for under £4k? - stunorthants26
First the Polo - its a 4-spd conventional auto as far as I know.

As for your requirements - more detail about what age and what you want from the car etc will help the BR give more accurate help in suggesting a car/s.

The Yaris at the age your budget will allow is a normal auto ( 1.3 ), only recent ones are MMT.
Thanks for the reply. Basically I need a Polo sized car no older than my current car (2000 W), with an auto box. Usual requirements - reliable, economical, cheap parts prices. If a Yaris of that age is a normal auto box, do we know what reputation that model has for reliability/economy etc?

Thanks.
Best used small automatic for under £4k? - stunorthants26
Have you tried looking on Autotrader? You can put in those requirements and it will bring up the sort of cars you can expect to get. May give you a good general idea.

I drove an 04 Yaris auto and it was a throughly decent car, very smooth and quite perky.

Reliable and economical is generally a japanese thing - the Polo auto is quite thirsty compared to the Yaris for instance. Also worth a look at Daihatsu who do small autos quite well and they are quite frugal. Hyundai Getz is cheap but thirsty as the Polo.
Great idea on Auto Trader, will try that. Useful info on the Yaris too, thanks very much.
Best used small automatic for under £4k? - oldnotbold
I sold MiL's auto Polo 98S for £1500 a few months back. Not a very nice car to drive IMHO.

I realise it's the size larger, but try the Focus. So much nicer. SWMBO has a 1.6 auto and it's great. Her 51 reg can't be worth more than £3,000 in a dealer.
Must admit the Focus is tempting, though I'd need to check on economy. I drive about 30 miles each day for work so I don't want anything too thirsty.
Best used small automatic for under £4k? - Manatee
Mrs Dugong has a 2002 Civic 1.6 auto for which we were recently offered £3500 in p/x. Nothing (at all) has gone wrong with it since new.

Outward dimensions can't be much more than a Polo and the interior space is unbelievable (flat floor, loads of rear leg room, plenty of headroom front and rear even with a sun roof, and it pre-dates the introduction of the centre console so you can 'walk' from the front to the back! She won't have the new Civic given, it's much more closed in.

It's a four speed torque converter auto, and very easy to drive. You'll have to join the WI, but that's a small price to pay for such practicality and reliability.