2004 1.9TDI Intermittent Loss of Power. - Graham J
I bought my 130PS Sport Estate last autumn with 41K on the clock. Earlier this year, it lost power a total of four times, twice on the same hill and then twice on the same stretch of dual carriageway, accelerating out of a roundabout, all after about 40 minutes to an hour of driving . In every case, I had a warning "beep" and the instrument panel showed "EMISSIONS WORKSHOP!" The problem persisted for about 24 hours, but then cleared itself.
After the fourth event, I took it back to the dealer, who replaced a valve on the turbo under the extended warranty. A week or two later, the problem recurred and the car is now back with the dealer again, who is trying to recreate the fault, presumably by driving it around. I have read suggestions of an air mass meter fault, or a turbo variable vane problem. Any more thoughts or suggestions out there, please?
2004 1.9TDI Intermittent Loss of Power. - Screwloose

Thoughts need info; what was the exact code number?
Thanks for the v prompt response. So far, I haven't asked what fault code has come up, as the problem should get fixed FOC by the dealer. However, I don't like the idea of them putting miles on my car just to trace the fault. I'll ask tomorrow and call in when I go past in a couple of day's time, to stir them up.
Stop Press from the dealers. They have just got authority from the warranty claims dept. to replace the turbo - FOC to me, thank goodness (otherwise over a grand). They acknowledge that they have had a few TDI's through with similar symptoms and had to replace their turbo's. Usually though, the problem repeats itself more frequently than in my car's case. They did try stripping down a turbo and cleaning the variable vanes - once. It worked for about six months, played up again and had to be replaced.
I was given to understand that they didn't pick up a fault code on mine, as it had cleared by the time I got it to them, and that's why they were trying to reproduce the fault.
2004 1.9TDI Intermittent Loss of Power. - Screwloose

I'd take a stab at 17965 - overboost. The coked vanes are very common - cleaning does work and is a far better option than a re-con turbo - but a brand-new dealer's turbo, for nowt, is even better.

Use good fuel and drive it hard; then it might take longer to clog again.