Tossing things out of car windows on the move... - oilrag
Watched a Car pull out onto the inner city ring road in Leeds yesterday, the drivers window lowered as it moved into lane two at around 30mph and an elegant looking female arm and wrist showed along with a flash of white.

Next thing an A4 sized paint catalogue was flung out, fluttering down the road, just missing the car in front.

( I overtook later, not a kid, but a woman of around 30)

Thought I had just about seen it all on the road. I wonder what the limit of behaviour is currently for tossing things out of the window.

What have you seen?

Edited by oilrag on 27/07/2008 at 15:29

Tossing things out of car windows on the move... - martint123
I've been behind a car whilst on bike and watch a full ashtray emptied.

They got a big thump on the roof as I passed.
Tossing things out of car windows on the move... - b308
I've been behind a car whilst on bike and watch a full ashtray emptied.
They got a big thump on the roof as I passed.

After I got a lighted fag thrown out in front of me I leant the bike on their car at the next set of lights and "discussed" it with them.....

Edited by b308 on 27/07/2008 at 18:06

Tossing things out of car windows on the move... - Lud
This didn't happen to me, but a fellow minicabber in the seventies, a very nice young fellow. He had one of those bob-tailed swing-axle Zephyr V4s with a bonnet lid like an aircraft carrier's flight deck.

Somewhere in Battersea, in fast-moving traffic, he had been involved in an incident caused by a dog hurtling out of the offside rear window of a car. Several vehicles were involved, my colleague's Zephyr terminally damaged and with all four brakes locked permanently full on. He didn't know what had become of the dog.
Tossing things out of car windows on the move... - Aretas
Driving up to M6 a couple of years ago and a large bottle flew out of a truck window. Luckily it proved to be plastic.
Tossing things out of car windows on the move... - welshlad
i have never thrown rubbish out of the car window but i did once lose a beret and cap badge on the autobahn south of dussledorf after inadvertly putting it on the dashboard of my landrover and then opened the door window it was a two part sliding window and i opend it at the front the result airflowed just sucked it out would have been silly to stop and retrieve in and SWMBO wasnt too happy with me spending the 35 marks (pre euro days) it cost to replace
Tossing things out of car windows on the move... - Alby Back
A fish supper with, as far as I could tell, the salt and brown sauce option as opposed to vinegar, bounced off my bonnet and adhered itself to my windscreen once. At the next set of traffic lights I returned it to its rightful owner who I presume was still wearing it when he reached his destination.

All a very long time ago and I'm much calmer now !

Hummmmm......... Hummmmm........... Hummmmm

;-)
Tossing things out of car windows on the move... - MagDrop
Not quite ?on the move? but I hope in the same spirit. Some years ago I was waiting in a car park for SWMBO as usual when a car drew up nearby. An oaf therein opened the door and tipped about 100 fagends onto the ground. To pass the time, I waited until he was conveniently out of sight and with the aid of a piece of cardboard picked up the lot and rammed them into his heater intake below the windscreen. I often wonder if it changed his habits.
Tossing things out of car windows on the move... - Pugugly
Has your new car got auto-wipers ?

This is a British disease apart from the odd dead Skunk I saw very little litter on the roadsides in the US
Has your new car got auto-wipers

Don't think so, hope not ! Wouldn't like a car to challenge my authority.

;-)
Tossing things out of car windows on the move... - Jazzyjimbob
I used to work @ the Bluewater shopping centre driving a landie around the parking area and outer exit roads. You would NOT beleive the stuff that was hurled out off cars on there way out. Food wrapping/boxes, baby seat boxes ( Large & potentialy dangerous) beer tins/bottles, babys filled disposable nappies, sanitary equipment/condoms (yes honest) you name it it was thrown out of cars. The thing is some poor mug had to clear it all up. HOW DO THESE PEOPLE LIVE AT HOME, IT BEGGARS BELIEF. Even animals try to bury their waste. (Apart from dogs that is.)

SNIPQUOTE!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/07/2008 at 18:36

Tossing things out of car windows on the move... - Dynamic Dave
Jazzyjimbob,

I would be grateful if you could read the following post and absorb the contents.

www.honestjohn.co.uk:80/forum/post/index.htm?t=426...2

It explains about not quoting entire posts when replying to them. The pop up message says pretty much the same thing when you press the "quote original message" but so far you have ignored it for one reason or another.

DD. BR Moderator.
Tossing things out of car windows on the move... - ifithelps
Watched a truck driver toss an oily paper wipe onto the ground next to where he was filling up.

The wipe landed next to the pump island which had a litter bin on it.

I gave him my best admonishing stare and he looked suitably sheepish.

This happened today at about 2pm at the Shell garage just south of Leeming Bar on the A1(M) southbound, North Yorkshire.

I hope the driver is ashamed of himself.

Tossing things out of car windows on the move... - Happy Blue!
Driving through Chorlton in Manchester a few years ago, audio cassette tape got wrapped up in the wipers and mirrors. It had been strung across the road from side to side and a few cars got caught up in it. I reached out of the window and unwound the tape from the mirror and let it go. The driver of the car coming in the opposite direction gave me a gob full about littering.....[sigh].
Tossing things out of car windows on the move... - bathtub tom
Travelling up the M6 with an upholstered chair on the roof rack, an arm came out of the truck window in front, and the dregs of a thermos cup were emptied. SWMBO picked up the bright yellow potty in the car, put a copious amount of drinking water in it, and after we passed said truck, opened window, and emptied contents.

Honour satisfied!
Tossing things out of car windows on the move... - nortones2
Travelling east, on the A50 somewhere south of Ashbourne a scaffolders truck lost a scaffold board. About 2400x225x40 mm. Approximate wet weight: 10 kg. Flying across the dual carriageway. Then another. We pulled in to a lay-by (as did others) and dialled 999. The toe-rags continued regardless. Not that they hadn't seen it.
Dear Mr.DD BR Moderator- I wish I knew what you mean, if you don't want me to use this site anymore just say so, Perhaps @ 70 I am not as computer savvy as you, I certanly am not as curt and rude as you, still I am perhaps old school. Now tell me what I am supposed to "ABSORB" Pehaps it would be best I don't use your site anymore and make a case of ageism, you certanly are NOT the most tolerant of people. I and many other people who use your site would class ageism as bad as sexism, raceism, religious and ethnic intolerance.
Jazzyjimbob.

SNIPQUOTE for the very last time. Next time I will just delete, as mentioned in the link I pointed you towards. Please read the email that was sent to you. For the record, I was being polite (as others have pointed out), but I can be rude and curt if you prefer, but then that would bring me down to the same level as yourself ;o) - DD

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 28/07/2008 at 01:19

I say, steady on Jjb... how was he supposed to know how old you were, and what was rude about his post? They run a tight ship here but are usually quite polite.

When you have got the original message you are quoting from in the place where you type your own post, you can highlight bits of it and get rid of them by pressing the Delete button on your keyboard. The site wants you to cut quotes down to the relevant hook or handle so that the thread isn't clogged up with a lot of repeated material, dig?

I will be your age in a month, and I believe we have one or two seniors here. Don't leave in a huff for nothing. Historical perspective - so rare among the young - is a valuable contribution to any public discourse.
Tossing things out of car windows on the move... - Cliff Pope
There's a practical point too. No one will bother ploughing through a long post to see if there is anything worth reading in it. If you fill up the average person's attention span (about 6 lines) with an old quote then it ensures that no one will ever read your gem at the bottom of it.
Tossing things out of car windows on the move... - Pugugly
You beat me to it - albeit far more eloquently than I could have.

Rob - Moderator.
Tossing things out of car windows on the move... - bathtub tom
Chill!
I've had my wrist slapped (several times).
The whole raison d'etre of many here is to see what we can get away with.

ps. Don't mention "Hitler's motorcycle" (I did once, but I think I got away with it).
Tossing things out of car windows on the move... - Cliff Pope
Last year our new small shetland pony jumped out of the horse box on the way home from the auction, at about 40 mph. When I returned to look for him he was contendedly grazing by the side of the road, unfazed by the incident, and unharmed.
Tossing things out of car windows on the move... - buzbee
"HOW DO THESE PEOPLE LIVE AT HOME"

Listening to amateur radio one day, one of the two van drivers was heard to say 'you know, it was one of those houses where you wipe your feet when you come out'!
Tossing things out of car windows on the move... - daveyjp
The fact they don't want litter in the car suggests to me they are very tidy people :-)
Tossing things out of car windows on the move... - Mapmaker
You beat me to it - albeit far more eloquently than I could have.
Rob - Moderator.

Quoted in all its glory - does he really have a name?

And edited to add another voice in support (not that he needs it, of course) of eloquency and brevity and removal of excess verbiage.

Edited by Mapmaker on 28/07/2008 at 12:32

SNIP. It's been discussed with you by email. Any more nonsense and I will simply ban you.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 28/07/2008 at 13:47

Tossing things out of car windows on the move... - bhoy wonder
Is this guy for real. I think he is taking the mick.
I think he must be "taking" something ;-)
Tossing things out of car windows on the move... - Dynamic Dave
And now back to motoring please. DD.
Tossing things out of car windows on the move... - OldSkoOL
lets hope she didn't have kids

the chain of appalling behaviour and example setting has to end somewhere

Edited by OldSkoOL on 28/07/2008 at 14:32

I wonder if we have met Jjb before under another handle?

It must be tempting for a certain kind of person to misbehave, tease or annoy people under the cloak of anonymity. The Shakespearean villain Iago introduces himself as someone who enjoys shouting 'Fire!' in the middle of the night and sniggering as the panicky citizens rush out in their nightclothes. The modern variant makes hoax calls to the emergency services (and in extreme cases attacks them when they arrive). But most of these people are idiots, not real villains, although that sort of thing can cause harm.