97 2.0 engine oil leak - Smart Mart
My son has a 2.0L SAAB turbo and is having problems with oil leaks on the engine. To try to rectify this he has changed the oil to 15/40, reseated the copper sump washer and put in some additive to seal any internal leaks. Engine was idled for 15 minutes no problems. When the car was driven oil started to cover the engine and exhaust pipe somewhere near the starter. Bear in mind this is by all word of mouth as he is away at the moment. A garage suggested that it could be excessive crankcase pressure but they hadn't got time to look at it. Does anbody have experience of this problem? It seems to me that what he did actually made the problem worse. Any help would be much appreciated.
97 2.0 engine oil leak - mr k
it will be the oil pressure switch, its right next to the starter moter and very common
97 2.0 engine oil leak - MW
Just sticking a load of thick oil in without solving the leak is crazy.
I would suggest that you get the leak fixed first. Run it fixed for a week to check all is OK, and then have a filter and oil change with 5-40 synthetic oil. Only synthetic will do. This needs to be done every 5-6k miles or turbo, cam chain, and slugging problems will occur.

Edited by MW on 04/08/2008 at 16:04

97 2.0 engine oil leak - Mike H
If it is excess crankcase pressure, he needs to fit the revised venting kit - details at www.elkparts.com/product_info.php/products_id/3295 - costs about £26 and an hour to DIY fit.

Next step is for him to register at www.saabscene.com/forum/index.php?showforum=8, this is a specifically Saab forum for 9-5s, with many knowledgaeble members. One of the members has produced a series of photos on how to fit the ventilation kit.