02 1.9 Air Conditioning Problems After Re-Gas - hdinfosec
Hello all.

On Saturday I had the air conditioning on our 2002 Scenic dCi re-gassed (apart from the fact that the air con didn't seem to be blowing that cold all was well before the re-gas).

Took it to a local(ish) garage who told me the gas level was low, they re-gassed the system and all seemed OK. However, when I got the car home (5 mile drive) I could hear a relay(?) clicking in and out every few seconds and the air no longer seemed cold. I phoned the garage and was told it was the system 'settling down'. Later that evening we used the car and the clicking every 5 or so seconds had been replaced by a 'boing' type noise (sorry - best description) every 20 seconds, when this occurred the revs dropped, then bounced back up again.

Car went back to the garage on Sunday and I was told it is a relay clicking in every 17 seconds, not to worry and to bring the car back in a week or so and they'll check the system.

Frankly, I'm not happy and worried. The boing noise is still occurring every 20 or so seconds with the accompanying drop and rise in revs, and the air is now no cooler than it was before I took it to the garage. I also noticed there are no condensation drips from underneath the car. It makes no difference if the air con is on auto or manual, and the 'boing' noise stops when the air con is turned off.

Very grateful for any ideas as to what's going on.

Edited by hdinfosec on 22/07/2008 at 13:04

02 1.9 Air Conditioning Problems After Re-Gas - Dave N
They put too much gas in it and it's bouncing off it's high pressure cutout switch. The noise is the poor little compressor being asked to start up with super high pressure in the system.