i've just bought a Golf that was running a bit fast, constantly
revving, i thought the young chav that had it before me had been
trying to race tune it or something, i figured it'd be easy enough
to adjust the idle,.
anyway, i couldn't really bring it down much so i took it to a garage
where the mechanic brought the idle down a bit more but told me i need
a new part, on my way home to order this part i lost my house keys
which resulted in a rather hectic afternoon & i cannot remember for the
life of me what it was i was supposed to order,.
he said,
it was like the choke was stuck half on all the time & it wasn't adjusting anymore,.

please anyone, any ideas what i should be ordering?,
any suggestions could jog my memory,.

thanks
91 1.6 fast idle choke half on,. - Screwloose

Wax capsule? Pull-down?

Probably best to ring him.
91 1.6 fast idle choke half on,. - chavhaha
hi, thanks, i would but i don't know his name or anything
& i can't afford the petrol to be running around,
doh, &, i didn't want to look stupid! ;-)
he was fiddling to the right or back of the carb,.

k8
91 1.6 fast idle choke half on,. - ggh1
Very hot 95-100c water must flow through the choke housing and waxstat, if it does not you need to replace the water O ring between the inlet manifold and cylinder head.
To check temp. of water flowing through the choke housing and waxstat, start engine and run until rad. fan starts. Briefly touch with the palm of your hand the metal choke outer housing (where the 2 small dia. water hoses connect to it).
91 1.6 fast idle choke half on,. - chavhaha
hi thanks for the info',

i managed to get the carb off yesterday for a better look,.
it had to come off to replace the flange anyway,
all the tubing on the behind of the carb has perished & is almost non
existant in places!. would that give the symptoms i'm having?
also, there's a large metal thing on the right hand side of the carb with a spring
inside & an electrical connection, two pipes coming off of it,. when i carefuly took this off to
check whatever was inside was intact & not broken looking i found a metal ring/gasket
type thing made of very thin metal, it has a little tab in it that comes out & screws into
the carb, where the metal bends here is broken, so i'm also wondering if this would
add to my symptoms?

im thinking now that the garage man said my waxstat had gone but finding these 2 things
wrong with the carb i'm wondering now if i 'do' need the waxstat replacing, is this
the plastic part on the front, longish & thinish 2 tubes coming out of it, a screw either
side? i couldn't undo these screws to inspect it but i've read you can boil waxstats to
reset the wax?

thanks again
k8
Large metal round thing with 2 pipes and one electrical wire with coil spring inside is the choke cover and one basic method of choke adjustment.
Waxstat can be metal or plastic with two pipes and is fitted with two Philips type screws situated low down, middle front of carb. I bent a Philips screwdriver at 90 degrees to remove waxstat insitu. On my two Golf 11 1.6 I have replaced :- one electrical choke heater, 2 waxstats, 2 choke pulldown units, and both cars after 80,000 miles suffered from blocked inlet manifold water O rings.
Most important, does your choke water system flow very hot water?
Perished carb. vacuum hose and tubing will allow an air leak and that will upset carb. settings and operation.
Check for a perished or split short rubber brake vacuum servo hose where it connects to the inlet manifold.