2001 1.6 Timing Belt Failure - confusedaboutcars
Secondary timing belt failure after 6000 miles, 1year + 3 days out of warranty, belt clearly worn to virtually nothing then snapped, tensioners apparently fine. Hefty rebuild cost, though garage that fitted original belt offering to pay half costs. Wondering whether it is likely to have been faulty belt or faulty fitting and about manufacturer?s liability?

Anyone similar experiences or advice much appreciated.
2001 1.6 Timing Belt Failure - Screwloose

There are several 1.6 engines used on that year; do you happen to know the 3-letter engine code?
Hi, Engine code is AZD. Thanks.

As the only thing rubbing on the secondary [exhaust cam] belt is it's tensioner; if it was worn through from the back[?] the it looks like the tensioner seized at some point.

Were the tensioners replaced with the belts?
Yes, the tensioners were replaced with the belt - I have seen them since they have been removed and they were turning freely. Garage are returning all to manufacturer claiming faulty belt!?

When you say "worn to nothing" was that on one edge or evenly across the back?

I have seen a new tensioner seize and later appear perfect. [Unfortunately; it was on mine - and I could easily have left the, very low-mileage, old one on!!]
The belt had worn away at the edge and had become very narrow and then snapped. When the breakdown guy took the cover off the whole area was covered in fine shreds of former belt! I wondered whether it was possible that the belt was not parallel?

I also may have been wise leaving the old belt on! Of course one never knows with these things!?!