2001 2.0 DuraTorq DI loss of power - klimb2hi
Have a 2001 Ford Mondeo Diesel 2.0 litre DI DuraTorq that has a near stall problem.

Took it to the official Ford garage yesterday, hooked it up to the computer with no clear response.... just a "possibility" from the technician that the issue may be with the fuel lift pump attached to the fuel tank.

Before shelling out several hundred Euros in purchasing a new pump with labor, another opinion would be appreciated.

Here are the symptoms:

1. The car starts fine and initially drives fine.. After 15 to 20 minutes of driving when the temperature gets to normal range (almost 50%) while driving, the engine loses power, with a bit of jerk reaction.

2. Once the program begins, the car can kind of chug along in 1st or 2nd speed, but any acceleration and the chugging begins.

3. Leave the car sit for approximately 45 minutes while the temperature goes down to about 25% on the guage, then can drive another 5 to 10 minutes. Then the issue begins again.

4. When the engine loses power, there is a particular odor. The odor is not at all a burning smell, but kind of a peculiar fuel odor. There is NO evidence of smoke.

5. No warning indicators come on. All the indicators have been tested and functional.

6. The car does not show any sign of overheating, however at the 50% heat level, consistently the problem beings.

7. It appears with less and less diesel in the tank, the problem happens at a quicker rate.

8. The engine idles fine without an irregularity.

Thanks for the responses.

Edited by Pugugly on 14/09/2008 at 21:09

2001 2.0 DuraTorq DI Loss of Power - Dynamic Dave
*bump* as found lurking over in Discussion near the bottom of the page.
2001 2.0 DuraTorq DI Loss of Power - Screwloose
[Thanks DD]

The symptoms do fit with a possible transfer pump problem. It should be easy for the garage to monitor the fuel pressure and the current draw of the pump as the fault develops and see it that is indeed the case.

I would hope that the fuel filter was the first thing changed?

2001 2.0 DuraTorq DI Loss of Power - klimb2hi
The diesel filter has been replaced along with the air filter thinking the flow that way may be blocked as well. The same issue exists.

If the lift pump does need to be replaced, it does not look that challenging to do. However, in doing so myself, is there any electronic coding involved?

With Ford, they indicated it would be 1200 Euros for the lift pump plus labour. It appears a replacement bosch pump can be purchased for about 200 Euros, a major difference.

Edited by klimb2hi on 18/07/2008 at 11:32

2001 2.0 DuraTorq DI Loss of Power - spikeyhead {p}
Could it be a blocked cat?
2001 2.0 DuraTorq DI Loss of Power - Screwloose

No coding on that pump - only a few had them at all. Before spending on a new one; it would seem sensible to at least check it's functioning?
2001 2.0 DuraTorq DI Loss of Power - kithmo
I would disconnect the temp sender, when the temperature has reached normal, to see if it is ECU related.
2001 2.0 DuraTorq DI Loss of Power - kamikadze
this post is pretty old but maybe author still visits this forum :)

can you tell me how you solved your problem since i got the same thing with my ford atm?
2001 2.0 DuraTorq DI Loss of Power - tonydgolfcoach
Hi having same problem as author can he tell me if he rectified problem and what it was? or does anyone know the problem? regards tony
2001 2.0 DuraTorq DI loss of power - Mnemonic
My 2008 Ford Fiesta DuraTorq 1.4 TDCI is exhibiting identical symptoms... did you ever get to the bottom of your problem? So far Ford have had it in 4 times, and have replaced both the Alternator and ECU (under warranty thankfully) but failed to resolve the issue...