Advice Please: Claim or not to claim - charlesb
OK

Yesterday, my neighbour reversed his newly hired car into the side of my pride and joy. I did not see the deed, but as he was the only person to go into/out of our cul-de-sac of 4 houses (including mine), it was definitely his car.

I tackled him this morning and his English is not great (He's from Singapore) but there was a scrape on the back bumper of his car at the same height as the pushed in doors of mine.

If I claim, I'm almost certain the Insurers will agree to settle each others and I'll be paying my excess with no hope of reclaiming it.

I'm going to get a quote on a independent repair, to see if it's worth doing it separately and maybe ask hm to pay for the repair.

What would other back-roomers do?

Advice needed as I'm off on Holiday next week

Thanks
Charles

Edited by charlesb on 12/07/2008 at 22:56

Advice Please: Claim or not to claim - rtj70
"If I claim, I'm almost certain the Insurers will agree to settle each others. "

Why if your car was stationary would you think this? Besides his is a hire car with a fixed excess.
Advice Please: Claim or not to claim - bathtub tom
Lie!

Let him think someone saw him do it, and then stay silent. He'll probably confess.

I've done this on a couple of occasions with great success.
Advice Please: Claim or not to claim - MikeTorque
No don't lie, that's not how to conduct oneself.

Has the neighbour admitted responsibility/liability for the incident ?
If he has then write out a note and have him sign it admitting to the damage caused, then obtain their insurance details. Contact your insurance company and inform them of the incident, you're not committed to making a claim simply by notifying them but you have them in the loop asap in case you need to take legal action or decide to make a claim. Obtain an assessment for cost to repair. Make an informed decision once you have all the possible information.
Advice Please: Claim or not to claim - adverse camber
photos - quickly - showing the damage to the hire car before it disappears. Once its gone then he can say 'what damage'

Im not clear if he is denying it or not? I would avoid getting my insurance company involved, I'd want an admission of guilt from him and the details of his insurance - presumably hire car insurance?

Edited by adverse camber on 13/07/2008 at 11:10

Advice Please: Claim or not to claim - teabelly
Get photos now to prove there is damage to your car and appropriate damage on the hire car. Ask him directly when he was going to admit hitting your car. Tell him it will go in the hands of the police and they will find out who did. Hopefully he'll come clean.

If he won't say anything then contact the police, your insurance company (giving his name and address + hire company name) and the hire company to tell them what has happened. Try and get a good close up shot of the hire car which shows the paint from yours on it (if any). Make sure your insurance co know it is a straightforward claim and they are to go straight to the hire company to make them settle the bill. They'll then make your neighbour pay or the damage will be covered by their insurance. Your car was stationery, his was moving. Should be open and shut. Or you could sue the neighbour directly. I'd go via your insurance company and make sure they understand they do not under any circumstances settle knock for knock. The blame is clear and they need to pursue the other party for 100% of the costs for the claim.

Do not get him to pay for the repair directly. If he has hit your car and not confessed he's hardly likely to pay up is he? If you don't involve insurance companies to begin with they won't pick up the pieces when he doesn't pay.
Hi All

Thanks for the advice. I was able to sneakily take some photo's this morning of the damage to my car and corresponding damage to his. I spoke to him this morning and indicated that he needed to inform the rental company.

To his credit he did. I got a quote from a local bodyshop, which was £1000, considering it didn't look like a lot, he had pushed in both doors on one side, but only slightly

Result! I spoke to Rental company and he did indeed inform them, and they have already given me a reference number and told me not to worry!

Last job for me is to tell my insurance company and let them know I won't accept a knock for knock.

I've been unlucky over the years, in that this has happened to me on 3 prior occasions, and I've never known who did the deed and therefore had to claim on my own insurance

so, it's nice to have some recompense for all those prior losses.

Thanks to all again for the advice.

Charles
Good result and good for the other party for accepting liability. Hope all goes well with the repair work.
Advice Please: Claim or not to claim - kithmo
>>
I've been unlucky over the years in that this has happened to me on 3
prior occasions and I've never known who did the deed and therefore had to claim
on my own insurance

Maybe you should reconsider where you park (if practically possible)
I'll take that as tongue in cheek. I'm normally ultra careful where I park. In fact of the last occasions that this happened.

1. 1995: Parked in a small road - virtually no traffic. Well back from adjoining road. Car Reversed into Drivers door.

2. 1999: Parked in a Homebase Car Park - Car drove into the next door space and pushed in the Rear door

3. 2004: Car parked in own Driveway. Passenger rear wing pushed past by clumsy neighbour (never proven).

4. 2008: Current thread topic.

So I'm averaging about 1 parked up push past every 4 years - I'll be back in 2012 to request further advice!!!
Advice Please: Claim or not to claim - Mapmaker
This is worth shouting:

DON'T INVOLVE YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY!

Deal directly with the other insurance company and then you will be provided with a hire car whilst yours is in the garage; you will not have to worry about your excess; you will not have to worry about premium loading etc. etc. etc.

I suggest you ring your insurance company and tell them to close their file as you will be dealing directly with the third party's insurance company. Oh yes, and you'll find it much more efficient too.
>>DON'T INVOLVE YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY!

Then how do you answer the question "Have you had an insurance claim in the last 5 years ?".

If your own insurance isn't informed of the incident then you are withholding information from them, and that could impact on any furture claim not to mention a black mark against your name. Any claim, even on someone elses insurance policy, should be notified to your insurance company, it won't affect the premium and it won't affect your NCB.
Advice Please: Claim or not to claim - jbif
If your own insurance isn't informed of the incident

Mike T - Seems you missed one key sentence in Mapmaker's post:
"I suggest you ring your insurance company and tell them to close their file as you will be dealing directly with the third party's insurance company. "

I agree entirely with what he said.

For a claim from a 3rd party, where you are sure and can prove the blame lies with them, in the majority of cases you will be better off notifying your own Insurer of the incident "for information only - NOT a claim".

Then claim directly from the 3rd party and/or their Insurer [in law, you can consider them as one and the same]. Either DIY or use a professional firm such as Helphire.

I didn't miss anything, I was clarifying matters.
As you mentioned "for information only - NOT a claim" - you agree with notifying the insurance company..

Essentially that is all that is required, a notification to your insurance company, then it's on record and there's no gap in your insurance record.
Advice Please: Claim or not to claim - jbif
I didn't miss anything, I was clarifying matters.

Many thanks.