2.2 TDCi engine and run flats - experiences? - Zipf
I'm considering a new S-Max and on paper the 2.2 TDCi looks like a good option next to the 2.0 TDCi (very similar running costs but a good bit more peformance). Just wondered if anyone had any real world experience of this engine in the S-Max, good or bad (I've seen the thread about the dodgy mapping - did a fix for this ever emerge?) In particular has anyone measured the real world fuel consumption... I'm slightly sceptical about the published figures (combined economy: 2.2 = 42.8mpg vs. 2.0 = 44.1mpg; and the 2.2 supposedly more economical on the extra-urban cycle: 2.2 = 54.3mpg vs. 2.0 = 52.3mpg!). (Different gearing?)

Also, has anyone driven an S-Max with the optional run flats? Any thoughts? Don't think I've seen any on the road, but given there is no spare (just sealant + inflation kit) this might be a sensible option. But probably not too appealing if it messes up the ride/handling.
2.2 TDCi engine and run flats - experiences? - a900ss
I can't help you on the run flats but I don't doubt the fuel consumption vs the 2.0.

I have the 1.8 and above about 70MPH the fuel consumption plummets and from what I've heard, the 1.8 uses more fuel than the 2.0 at higher speeds. My guess is that the larger engine isn't working so hard at getting the large frontal area through the wind.

This could explain why the 2.2 in real world driving will be about the same as a 2.2.

Good Luck

PS the 2.2 is slightly longer geared than the 2.0 but I think its only 35MPH vs 33MPH per 1000rpm in top.

Edited by a900ss on 10/07/2008 at 18:18

2.2 TDCi engine and run flats - experiences? - boxsterboy
One of our managers has a Civic with no spare wheel and a can of gunk. He's had 3 punctures, and on every occassion the gunk failed to do its job, requiring a time-consuming call from the RAC. That say it all, really!

Surely the 'optional run-flats' are not actually run-flats, because run-flats don't need gunk cans?

Personaly I would avoid any car without a proper spare, regardless of how fancy the optional alloys may look. Space-saver tyres are the only alternative to a full-sized spare in my book (or should that be boot?).
2.2 TDCi engine and run flats - experiences? - rtj70
But you can opt for 17" run-flats with tyre pressure monitoring system on the S-MAX. So surely must be run-flats if so described?
I've heard loads of similar stories re: the gunk... just doesn't seem to work very well. I think I read as well that once you've tried using it it makes the tyre impossible to repair as well into the bargain. Has anyone successfully used this stuff?

Might not have been clear in the original post - the standard spec on the S-Max is no spare and a can of gunk. The option is for real run flats (+ pressure monitor), which has a different set of alloys to the usual ones.
2.2 TDCi engine and run flats - experiences? - morellomax
I have a 2.2 S-Max and started the thread about the dodgy mapping (which isn't yet fixed but soon will be).

If your budget stretches to it, buy the 2.2 without a moment's hesitation. It is noticeably faster and more refined than the 1.8 and 2.0 diesels, (and it has a sweeter gearbox and stronger brakes and twin exhausts into the bargain) and so far mine is giving me the same fuel economy as my 2.0 gave at the same stage of running in. On a recent trip to Exmoor and back it averaged 42mpg, on a mix of motorway, A-roads and country lanes, going as fast as the traffic would allow (which is quite fast on an empty M5 !).

Avoid the runflats: noisy, expensive, spoil the ride. Put the money towards the IVDC option instead. The S-Max rides brilliantly on normal 17's or 18's with IVDC. If anything the 18's are better: the IVDC damping rates seem tuned to them, and the car feels ultra-stable. I jumped out of a 6 month old A8 into the S-Max and I'm very happy. I wouldn't swap it for a Q7 or XC90 or R-class, regardless of cost.

The gunk and compressor supplied with the S-Max work just fine. I've used mine on a flat caused by a nail, on a Galaxy loaded with 4 kids and 2 weeks' worth of holiday gear, and I was very happy not to be trying to get a spare out of the boot and jack the car up. If you get a puncture, yes that means you have to fork out for a new tyre, but whatever the horror stories the truth is that punctures occur very rarely nowadays. If you want the comfort of a spare and you don't mind giving up the space, it's easy enough to pick up a 16" steel wheel and tyre.

If it ever rises from the dead, the forum at www.smaxownersclub.co.uk is a great place to get further help - or just ask away on here !
morellomax - thanks for the info, sounds encouraging... I'll look into IVDC.

I'd been looking out for www.smaxownersclub.co.uk over the last few weeks to ask about this stuff. The good news is it now appears to be back (although minus previous posts, sadly). Hooray!
2.2 TDCi engine and run flats - experiences? - injection doc
2.2 over a 2.0 any day. As already stated far superior & refined & my 2.2 was much more economical than my 2.0.
I Doc