Hard wearing tyres required - helmet
I need a pair of tyres for the front of my 406 HDi.

The last set I bought,just before the MOT in Feb 2007,have worn at the shoulders,and looks like they'll need replacing very soon.

Anyone recommend a hard wearing tyre,for the fwd 406 HDi?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 09/07/2008 at 17:50

406 HDi Hard wearing tyres - oldnotbold
If they only wear at the shoulders it suggest you've not had them at a high enough pressure, perhaps?

www.advancepitstop.com/index.php?id=237
406 HDi Hard wearing tyres - Whisky
Don't get Toyo CF1s, great in the wet, good in the dry and quiet but I only got about 8k miles out of them with the 90bhp 406 :-)
406 HDi Hard wearing tyres - kithmo
Michelins seem to last well.

406 HDi Hard wearing tyres - GregBlack
helmet

I've been through 2-3 sets of GoodYear Eagle NCTs on my 406 HDi. These seem to last well, not much noticeable noise, and well priced. I think they have been superseded now but I'd have GoodYears again.

GB
406 HDi Hard wearing tyres - helmet
Funny that,as I've just been looking on BlackCircles at Good Year Eagles,and they are at a very competitive price,at about £57 each fitted,so I may well go down that route.

Unless anyone knows where to get them cheaper.........
406 HDi Hard wearing tyres - steveo3002
michelins always tend to last very well...usualy a few £ more though
406 HDi Hard wearing tyres - Roger Jones
French car: probably designed with Michelins in mind. More costly, yes, but they've always lasted longer than most brands and usually long enough to make sense of the higher cost. They are said to be not so good in the wet (consistent with harder compound giving longer life, I guess), but I've never had a problem. A friend with a Citroen ZX takes pride in getting 80k out of Michelins, mostly on motorway miles.

As suggested above, the wear you describe implies under-inflation, so make sure you check pressures regularly. Also, it's worth getting a full laser-alignment check a few hundred miles after fitting new tyres; it shouldn't cost more than a few tens of pounds.
406 HDi Hard wearing tyres - Marc
Goodyear NCT5 - a supposed "ECO" tyre.

I get around 28k out of the fronts on my 53 plate Vectra and 45k out of the rears. Not very grippy though.
406 HDi Hard wearing tyres - nick
>>Not very grippy though

Bit of a problem for a tyre, I would have thought. No problem in everyday driving, but in an emergency how long they last won't seem to matter so much. :-)
406 HDi Hard wearing tyres - Dynamic Dave
Goodyear NCT5 - a supposed "ECO" tyre.
I get around 28k out of the fronts on my 53 plate Vectra and 45k out of the rears. Not very grippy though.

Yes, for some reason the NCT5 and Vectra-C aren't very well suited. I'm guessing Vauxhall bought a job lot and in doing so saved some money.

Many mentions of how poor they are on vectra-c.com, and I was also glad to get shot of them off my Vectra-C as well.
406 HDi Hard wearing tyres - Marc
"Not very grippy though"

Perhaps I should clarify. They're not dangerous in any way obviously, but they are not as grippy as a softer compound tyre eg Michelin Pilot. They're just fine for normal driving ie what most people do. You will always have a trade off between longevity and grip, it stands to reason. The OP is asking for hard compound tyres.

"I'm guessing Vauxhall bought a job lot and in doing so saved some money."

Must have been a big consignment, they're now in their fifth or sixth year of being fitted as OE to new Vectras with 17" wheels. It's not just Vauxhall who fit them either.
406 HDi Hard wearing tyres - 406xsara
I've got 35,000 miles from firestone's on a 90bhp 406hdi.
Commute 85miles a day...
406 HDi Hard wearing tyres - Bill Payer
I've got 35 000 miles from firestone's on a 90bhp 406hdi.
Commute 85miles a day...

When I had a lease company car the leasing company always tried to fit Firestone - I think they were FireHawk FuelSavers.

Reason is that they last for ever. Downside (and reason I got our fleet manager to give us permission to refuse them) is that the wet grip is poor compared to the tyres the car comes with when new. The hardness of the compound does make them very quiet though!
406 HDi Hard wearing tyres - RevJack
The Bridgestones on my 406 hdi have done almost 30k no prob & still have at least 5k in them I reckon.