Cheapest car hire - teabelly
Brother in law has just written off father in law's old car. It was entirely his fault and now they need to hire a mondeo sized car for the rest of their holiday over here in the UK. They are here until the first week of September. The standard rate seems to be about £150 pw which is more than they can really afford. Is there anywhere that hires out slightly older but still safe cars for a lot less? They have 3 kids 7-12 so they need something with a reasonable amount of room. Also will his recent accident make it more difficult to hire a car or make it cost more?

Parents are trying to push us into letting him borrow our car (yeah right, I wouldn't let him near a ride on lawnmower just at the moment ;) ) so we really need to come up with a reasonable solution that doesn't overly inconvenience any of the parties involved.

Would the insurance company have good deals on car hire after accidents if the insured person paid rather than claiming?

Any other bright ideas or is there a really cheap family public transport ticket that would do all of them for unlimited UK travel for significantly less than car hire?

Cheapest car hire - Blue {P}
They'd probbly find it cheaper to buy one off Ebay, plenty old Mondeos in the sub £500 category now. They could then leave it on Ebay when they leave.

Alternatively, check out the Yellow Pages and see if there are any small independant hire companies near you, there's one in Newcastle tat used to hire out 10 year old cars and it was about half the rate of a normal Europcar, they don't do the biggun's anymore though, just ex-SOM Micras which are very ropey but still driveable.

Cheapest car hire - oldnotbold
Far cheaper to buy a £999 car now off Ebay and then sell it when they leave. Should get them a 2000 model Mondeo/Primera or similar.

How's this for £595 - comes with 12 moths MoT - tinyurl.com/5qvx3y

Edited by oldnotbold on 08/07/2008 at 11:54

Cheapest car hire - Big Bad Dave
Thread Hijack, sorry

I'll need a small van for a few weeks while I'm in the UK, doesn't have to be shiny and new or even safe but does have to be cheap - Stockport area - Any suggestions? Buying isn't an option, not with insurance on a second vehicle headaches etc etc.

Cheers
Cheapest car hire - Alby Back
I know you say buying isn't an option Dave but I just had a quick look on Autotrader. ( I live in Cheshire ) Quite a few wee vans round here with MOT and tax for £500 and under.
It's not just the buying as much as insuring though Shoespy and getting rid, but I'll have a peep on AutoTrader. It would be handy to have a run-about of sorts handy every time I come over.

Are you really a shoe-spy Shoespy? Bet you can't guess what I'm wearing on my feet right now and what I paid for them.
Cheapest car hire - Alby Back
Never ever switch your webcam on Dave. Nice office BTW

;-)
Cheers Shoespy

And the flip flops were 2 quid from Primark
Cheapest car hire - AlastairW
Hi Dave
A friend of mine runs 'A6 Van Rental' in Hazel Grove. Mostly 6 or 7 year old ex courier company transits. I have nothing to gain from recommending him, but can email you the phone number if you want it.
Cheapest car hire - teabelly
Found a couple locally at similar money. Luckily someone they know has stepped in and given them a car to use so that has saved us a whole heap of bother and them a whole heap of cash.