Excess Insurance cover for rental cars - CMP
Hi,

I tend to rent out cars partly for business and also for personal use as an alternative to a 2nd car.

I am thinking about taking out an excess insurance policy for car rental. Can anyone recommend a suitable company?

I have looked at insurance4carhire.com however their policy is not valid if vehicle is rented from a location within 150km of usual residence. This restriction does not cover my personal use.

I require cover to include both UK and mainland Europe.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

CMP
Excess Insurance cover for rental cars - Bill Payer
This one offers the option to include hires within 150Km of home:
www.questor-insurance.co.uk

Don't know anything about them - just found it on a search. I wonder if it's the same policy as insurance4carhire but with the <150Km option?

Thanks great, thanks Bill.

CMP
Excess Insurance cover for rental cars - mustangman
Just as extra info .........

I've used Questor before without any problems. ( No claims mind ! )

They charge around £3 per day instead of the usual £10 + that you would be charged when you pick the car up.

( I'm sure that some folks who hire a car, do not realise that the first £600 or so is not usually covered by the CDW. )
Excess Insurance cover for rental cars - Peter D
Take a look at Carhire3000.co.uk they have 'NO' excess and competative rates. Call them and discuss you insurance and distance requirement to ensure they are compliant with local hires. Regards Peter
Excess Insurance cover for rental cars - rtj70
If you hire via Holiday Autos there is the option for additional full collision damage waiver. This is a lot cheaper than the hire companies.

The downside is you have to pay the hire company's excess charge and claim it back. But I've had to use it (hire car written off) and I got the money back from Holiday Auto in a few weeks.

Only issue was Hertz taking their standard excess which should have been less because via Holiday Auto.

Hope this helps.
Thanks all for the advice and suggestions!

CMP
Excess Insurance cover for rental cars - jbif
Holiday Autos there is the option for additional full collision damage waiver

IIRC, it is nearly "full" but not quite, as it excludes windscreen and tyres/wheels damage.

I have also checked carhire3000 recommended above, and they say:
"In most destinations windscreens, tyres, under carriage, replacement locks, replacement keys and towing charges are not covered under the insurance policy. Other exclusions may apply & can differ between rental companies, so we recommend checking with our local supplier at the time of collecting the vehicle what the exclusions are. "

Edited by jbif on 08/07/2008 at 19:54

Excess Insurance cover for rental cars - rtj70
"IIRC, it is nearly "full" but not quite, as it excludes windscreen and tyres/wheels damage"

Okay to got me there. But our Fiesta hire car was written off by an HGV (and so nearly were we) so I paid Hertz £300 and got that back from HA.