Main Dealers gasping? long service intervals - oilrag
It`s often been said, that extended service intervals have been driven by Fleet considerations and it seems long service intervals are the last thing Main Dealers want.

It seems some are now gasping like Carp in a de-oxygenated pond, waiting for the one-bite-at-the-cherry (courtesy of long life oils) new car to come back for its only service in the warranty period.
Previously, the 12 month low mileage or 12,000 miles, had meant, with luck, three services, or bites at the motoring cash cow, before the car moves to Independents.

Two points then.

1)
Have you ever been hanging around the service desk, (or personal example) of a bit of old fashioned Main dealer creativity in generating a cash flow? (no names of course)

2) Do you think long life oils and service intervals are actually the norm, but some dealers have by various means tried to circumvent it to re-establish the cash flow?

3) Is it fear of bankrupting the franchises that stops some Japanese manufacturers bringing in ultra long life service intervals? The thought being that with their reputed reliability and lack of warranty work, that there would be no meat on the table at all.

Regards

Edited by oilrag on 05/07/2008 at 20:32

Main Dealers gasping? long service intervals - Ian (Cape Town)
My local Delta (local version of GM) dealer has been hassling me for the past few weeks via phone calls, email and SMS about taking the car in for a service.
Yeah, sure - it is a 1995 Astra, has been there exactly ONCE since I got it in 1999, and they gouged me badly then on a gearbox repair. Obviously I'm still on their database.
Work colleagues say the same about various other dealers, who are obviously bleeding in these recessionary days.
Main Dealers gasping? long service intervals - Cymrogwyllt
when I took my car (make witheld) for the first service at 24k and 16months long life they, without asking changed it to 12 months/xx miles (miles witheld as would identify make) They initially refused to refill it with the long life oil and reset the computer to suit. A phone call to the national HQ making enquiries was made and the dealer phoned me later the same day to arrange for a refill of the correct oil, new filter and reset computer. They did not attempt to charge me the extra cost of the long life oil. In my opinion they were after the extra service wrok.

I always specify fully synthetic oil for any service and generally change it below 20k irrespective of reccommendation when out of warranty.

they make very good profits on 'dealer only' spares (e.g. £430 +VAT + fitting for an alternator) so I suspect that they're moving the cash cow to this area
Main Dealers gasping? long service intervals - gordonbennet
I can only comment with the pick up, i've been in twice to get oil and filters for interim oil changes prior to its first service at 9K later this year.

On both occasions no one has batted an eyelid at the service desk (same desk as parts) over my requests, no one has suggested anything about them doing the work, despite me giving the reg no and them getting the parts to suit.
Instead they quietly inform me that the genuine oil is still 1/3rd off, so i've probably got more in stock now than they have.

I'm hoping this efficient and value approach continues.
Its a Japanese brand, maybe its the overall outlook from enlightened dealerships, or maybe the attitiude of the manufacturer passed down through the dealership.
We'll see how this progresses, if all is well, then if we decide to replace, we won't be looking anywhere else.

Maybe satisfied customers that feel valued and arn't looking over their shoulder for the rip off are a better bet than one who feels fleeced and looks for another garage immediately.

I wonder if its the larger multi dealerships who practice the cash cow principle, the sort where each dept is a business in its own right, instead of support for each linked dept that maybe is found in smaller more independent operations.
Main Dealers gasping? long service intervals - Marc
My car - a 53 plate petrol Vectra is on "Ecoflex" servicing which equates to :

20k / 2 years / service light - petrol
30k / 2 years / service light - diesel

Whichever comes first.

In my case I get about 16k / 15 months between services. My car does 90% motorway miles. It works for me.

I'm pretty sure Ecoflex was designed with fleet managers in mind but it has since been abandoned for Vectras (around 2005 I think)

Edited by Marc on 05/07/2008 at 23:00

Main Dealers gasping? long service intervals - stunorthants26
I know, from working behind the scenes at a service department, that it was common practice to round up the hours for the job and to add a few quid to every part price so that a profit was made over internal price paid.
I several times watched the manager and desk staff doing the bills and it was encouraged to add about 15-20% to the actual bill. The reasoning was, if they didnt ask for a quotation, it was open season.
Sounds too cynical to be true, but hey, how does a £500 bill for a Rover 100 grab you for a cambelt change plus oil/filter? Handed over a ton of those type of bills to little old ladies. And that was 7 years ago, just think what they will be charging now ( Citroen dealer currently ).
Main Dealers gasping? long service intervals - Dynamic Dave
My car - a 53 plate petrol Vectra is on "Ecoflex" servicing which equates to :

If on ecoflex interval it is important that only 5w/30 long life oil is used, both at time of oil change and during any top ups. If you use any other oil when topping up it compromises the 'recommended' service interval and you shoud have the vehicle serviced after 12 mnths / 20,000 miles.

When my previous Vectra-C was on this, I had the garage revert it to fixed term service intervals (12 mnths / 20,000 miles). 2 years is a long time in which something can go wrong and unnoticed.
GB, You`re no doubt well known at the dealers as someone who knows his stuff ;) and as you know, I also do the extra oil and filter changes.

Taking it up though ( for the sake of argument) from the perspective of Long Life oil being a benefit to the Motorist and that `Fleets` are not the whole story.
I can`t help thinking there is a lot of smoke and mirrors going on at Dealer/manufacturer level regarding oil change intervals.
You see the same, identical engine of a joint venture, one on long intervals the other on short. One on 5w40, the other on longlife 5w30.. .
Then a manufacturer backdates engines that have been on a thicker oil to longlife 5w30. And the other dealer who was on conventional intervals last year (and vocal about 5w40 being essential) is suddenly gasping behind the service desk as its put on longer intervals on 5w30.

Through all this, there seems to be little if any evidence of the engine on a long service oil change actually showing reduced life. Certainly I believe the life would be reduced, but with no evidence I have to accept it may not be necessary. (even though I will always do early changes;) .
For example, there seems to be no issue such as the pre SG oil sludging that occurred during the specified oil change intervals of the time.

It seems more likely that oil related damage or wear is caused by operator error. Low oil level, running out, letting oil pressure light flicker and topping up with conventional oil.

I guess that those fully synthetic 5w30 long life oils are fantastic products, likely not needing any viscosity index improvers at all and accordingly less likely to break down.

I wonder if these oils are so good, that even without the long life service indicators on cars for which they are intended, that cars without them would benefit in being run on it to the full fixed interval, rather than being halved, as some of us do?

I suppose Main dealer seemingly `Gasping for Cash` by doubling up labour and spontaneously giving high prices off the top of the receptionists head may be part of this.

Maybe i`m just a cynic and expect too much ;)

Edited by oilrag on 06/07/2008 at 10:09

Main Dealers gasping? long service intervals - gordonbennet
OR, i hate to admit it, but sometimes even i think that our ways are possibly a little over zealous, our insistence against all others in most cases that we are doing the right thing.
I hope no one else reads this...will deny all knowledge of this post in a weeks time.;)

Having said that when a chap like Screwloose gave his opinions on oil change intervals in another thread, then thats good enough for me, he sees the internals all day long, and the results of neglect no doubt.
And he does know exactly what he's talking about, would be nice if he gave recommendations about general servicing too, like auto and manual gearbox oil changes, diffs and the like.

If Screwloose (or any of the other respected experts here) was to write an occasional summary/blog especially when they've had some nightmare jobs, it would be very interesting to a lot of us.
I'd love to hear how they've searched high and low for a diagnosis, and eventually cured various problems.
(bit like the cade's garage ,IIRC, section in car mechanics years ago)

So am i going to change and cut my half time oil changes, no, like me dad it was good enough to serve me well over so many years, i'll carry on just the same thanks.
I know my engines are noticeably quieter after oil changes at half or below half way point.

I'm new to this dealer servicing routine, my newest car was i think 18 months old previously, but that had done 75K, so i've never had a dealer service before, nor ever had a car under makers warranty, or i'd be using millers oils, and possibly have a steinbauer chip on it by now.
I've got these joys to come.
It will be interesting to see how my dealer performs, as i haven't been turned over so far by them, and i don't expect to TBH, i am not looking for trouble that may or may not be there. I shall of course keep my eyes open.
It will be interesting to see for example if they recommend a fuel filter change even though the maker doesn't. If they do, are they being sensibly cautious, or turning me over? I shall have it changed, though i may do it myself to have a look see if its one of the new sort you found, and i think we discussed before, the filter housings sound very similar.

As for me being known as someone who knows his stuff, more likely they realise i'm a slightly loopy old git, and humour me to get rid of me..-;)

All the best. GB

Edited by gordonbennet on 06/07/2008 at 10:51

Of course I agree with everything you said GB about Screwloose being the expert. His guidance is what I follow, but I wrote the post from a perspective I don`t believe in to generate debate. ;) (long service oil change)

I was wondering in fact if we should all be given short essay titles to liven thing up rather than writing from our own perspective (feel free to issue one) ;)
;)
Take care

Edited by oilrag on 06/07/2008 at 11:58

Main Dealers gasping? long service intervals - bazza1603
Off topic Maybe...

Why is the Vauxhall 1.3 CDTI engine every 20K in the Corsa and Agila and the Suzuki Swift and Splash are only 9.5k.

The Agila and Splash are basically the same car...

Main Dealers gasping? long service intervals - Marc
I'm guessing becuase each company has a different marketing approach. Vauxhall sells far more cars than Suzuki. Isn't the Corsa a driving school favourite?
Main Dealers gasping? long service intervals - Bill Payer

Mercedes have changed from variable servicing to fixed interval of 12mths (or 12,500 / 15,500 depending on model), although there is *huge* confusion amongst owners (and apparently dealers) over how frequently the cars should be serviced.

I have to say that in my C270CDI it works perfectly - the mileage resets to 13000 after a service, but then it counts down in 100 mile intervals for approx every 150 miles the car travels, so will go to around 20K between services. The car also remembers the date, and won't go past 2 yrs without a service. In practice I use my car much less than I expected (the way my job is done changed) so last time it got to the 2yr mark.

However many owners have experienced the above working fine until the first service, then after that the car needs much more frequent servicing - with the dealers having baffled expressions and pretending not to know why that happens. Hmmmm...

In view of my lack of regular attendance at the dealership, they wrote to me and asked if I would like to move to fixed interval servicing! I said "sure - my car is on an MB service contract - ServicePlus - so service it as often as you like!" They said "Ah - as it's on a service contract we're not allowed to change it".

I've also noticed that when it goes in for service, they gleefully tell me about all the additional work required due to mileage / age - ie coolant change, auto trans fluid change etc, then when they ask how I'll be paying and I say "MB ServicePlus", their shoulders visibly drop and when I pick the car up it turns out that none of the extra work was required at all. Of course, if I'd been a cash paying customer....
Interesting Bill..

Bazza, That`s right on topic.
Main Dealers gasping? long service intervals - spikeyhead {p}
Whenever I'm round my mates car lot I usually pop in and see the mechanic on the same site, which is on average once a week.

He does some of the work on my car, or more often I'll do the work either in his workshop or in the garage of my mates car lot and grab his expertise if I need it.

Apart from routine servicing his life is spent changing K series and ecotec head gaskets, he's the local expert on these and does them for every dealer for miles around. He's also regularly doing cambelts on a wide variety of vehicles. There's some brake and suspension work being done on a regular basis too. Broken springs, worn bushes etc.

I can't remember the last time he was doing anything that was related to not changing the oil often enough. Actually I can, it was an MR2 that a customer of a car dealer had taken for a test drive when there was no oil showing on the dipstick. A set of feeler gauges wedged in the big ends and that one went of to the auction!!! That probably eight years ago!

So from that limited view of what goes wrong with cars.I don't think there's any need to change the oil twice as often as the manufacturers recommend. I've seen plenty of cars with stellar mileages on them and engine wear is a very rare occurrence.
Main Dealers gasping? long service intervals - 659FBE
As a fairly new VAG customer (Skoda Superb) I have gradually become acquainted with their practices aimed at clawing back revenue via the dealer network. Briefly, my findings were as follows:

Cars supplied on a variable servicing regimen are routinely reset to fixed servicing. This happened to me when I bought my car as a 2 year old specimen. Luckily I realised what they had done and made an oil change with long life oil prior to delivery a condition of purchase - although they had just changed the oil using standard oil.

Rear pads on these cars last about 20k miles. I looked at quite a few cars of this mileage before choosing one. Despite a "n-point pre-sale check" the pads were nearly down to the backings on all the cars I saw of this mileage. Clearly deliberate neglect - with any luck the next owner would be stung for new disks as well. Dear old VAG put the pad wear warning system on the fronts which last for ever.

The VAG PD engines built in 04/05 were subject to a recall as they fitted some sub standard tandem pumps made by LUK. Bosch pumps are OK. Although this problem has been well known for at least the last 3 years, I was only notified by VAG UK when my car was out of warranty - by a few days. My car has a Bosch pump which doesn't leak so I'm keeping it well out of their way. If it went in for an inspection, I wonder what else they would "find" - or break.

VAG cambelts have a stipulated 4 year 60k mile change interval. This is a UK thing only - my friend in Holland has a VAG car with the identical engine (AWX) for which there is no time stipulation, only a distance limit. It's worth noting that all of the paperwork relating to the 4 year belt change is VAG UK generated on scrappy bits of paper. None of the printed literature supplied with the vehicle refers to it.

I believe that this is a pure scam by VAG UK and falls into the same category as the recall above - scaremongering. It's a very neat trick as it doesn't affect the fleet market, only the fear-prone private owners who will go running to their dealer for a premature belt change. What a nice little earner.

The product is fine - I'm less than enamoured of the UK representation of it, so this one will be my last.

Edited by 659FBE on 06/07/2008 at 17:23

Main Dealers gasping? long service intervals - Number_Cruncher
>>Through all this, there seems to be little if any evidence of the engine on a long service oil change actually showing reduced life. Certainly I believe the life would be reduced, but with no evidence I have to accept it may not be necessary. (even though I will always do early changes;) .

Perhaps there is a reduction in engine life, but the reduced engine life is still more than adequate?

I concurr with Screwloose's notes in another thread, the cylinders I've seen of modern Vauxhall engines, and my MB have still had honing marks. The few Vauxhall engines I've seen recently (on my all too rare visits to the garage where I used to work) with serious problems have generally been caused by causes outside the oil quality. People running out of oil in poorly bedded in engines - yes. Engines trashed by fatigue failures in nasty internal/external gear oil pumps - yes. Noisy timing chains fed by an inadequate oil nozzle - yes. Oil loss via sudden oil pump gasket failure - yes. Engines blocked up with gunky sludgy mess - very unusual.

The last one I saw was a Bedford Rascal being PDId by a colleague. At first, he thought the persistent oil light was an electrical problem, a trapped wire. After removing the sump, he found oil so thick that when we tried to pour some from a beaker, none came out for half an hour!

>>(even though I will always do early changes;) .

Does not compute!

"Does not compute!"

That`s cos computers only do logic. ;)

NC, With your Vauxhall knowledge/contacts, do you know why the 1.3 CDTI runs low viscosity long life oil/long service, contrasted with Fiats applications and the Suzuki Splash?

I`m curious as to whether the CDTI has a different filter, or other mods, or whether its identical and a matter of policy.

Cheers

Edited by oilrag on 07/07/2008 at 08:46

Main Dealers gasping? long service intervals - Number_Cruncher
>>do you know why the 1.3 CDTI runs low viscosity long life oil

I don't - I'll ask next time I get the opportunity.

Thanks, NC
Main Dealers gasping? long service intervals - DP
I had an out of warranty fault on the Scenic (loss of power and "check injection" warning on the display). SWMBO limped it to the dealer who plugged it into the computer while we were there and reported the fault was relating to the turbo, but would need further investigation. We left it with them, fearing the worst.

They called a couple of hours later - all done. It was a split wastegate pipe - a few quids worth of hose. There would have been plenty of opportunity to sting me for a new turbo or other expensive part, but they were completely honest. The entire bill came to less than £90 including the part, an hour's labour for the diagnostics, and replacing a blown tail light bulb that I hadn't yet got around to doing.The car has run perfectly ever since.

It worked. They have gained a loyal customer. I was impressed with the last service they did on it anyway, but this just confirmed to me that they are not in the habit of generating revenue, even when given a golden opportunity.

This is a Renault dealer, but a small, single premises family owned business, not a plate glass palace that's part of a big chain. I think that helps - they need repeat business to survive.

Cheers
DP