Tyre pressure monitors-Warning. - midlifecrisis
I had a 'low pressure' warning on my car this morning. (Very useful these pressure monitors)

Footpump out, then found I couldn't get the (metal) dust caps off. Tried a pair of small pliers and the whole valve split in two. Tried the other three and all are seized to the valves. Rang the dealer who stated he used to work in the tyre business. Apparently the caps oxidise to the pressure valve and they split when you try to get them off.

So I've got the spare on the front and a rear valve is decidedly wobbly. I'll be interested to see if the dealer s going to stump up the cost of replacement under warranty. (Getting the car to them is going to be interesting)

So f you've got metal dust caps on a car with tyre pressure monitors-TAKE THEM OFF NOW!
Tyre pressure monitors-Warning. - Chrome
You should really check your tyre pressures (and tyre exterior condition) weekly, then you would be the 'monitor' and your valve caps would not have seized on! As an aside I read somewhere that metal valve caps are safer, as in more reliable, I have had plastic caps losing their threads and/or pushing out their tops in the past.
Tyre pressure monitors-Warning. - jbif
Getting the car to them is going to be interesting

Take care that you do not get stopped by a over zealous traffic plod! ;-)

Tyre pressure monitors-Warning. - bintang
When I bought a Skoda Fabia last year I was thinking of specifying a tyre monitor system but the salesman wiarned me it was no good!
Tyre pressure monitors-Warning. - David Horn
Legal requirement in the US now.
Tyre pressure monitors-Warning. - welshlad
personally i think there are too many sensors and dooberywhatsits on modrern cars that reduce the owners commitment to carry out essential checks on a regular basis
Tyre pressure monitors-Warning. - henry k
Legal requirement in the US now.

I am in favour of it over here. I am surprised the EU has not acted to make it a must.
Unlike the old days, it is almost impossible to spot a tyre with a much reduced pressure in these days of low profile tyres.
welshlad

>>Personally I think there are too many sensors and dooberywhatsits on modrern cars that reduce the owners commitment to carry out essential checks on a regular basis.

What commitment ? Cars are treated by most as white goods. Buy it, use it, scream help if it fails.

I want all the sensors and the washer bottle moved to the boot.
Then, maybe even have it so that only approved people can have access to the engine bay.
Tyre pressure monitors-Warning. - Zippy123
As I understand it, and please correct me if I am wrong, tyre pressure check systems are software only on some cars - i.e. the system measures revolutions over distance and if one wheel is revolving more than the others then the circumferance is lower and therefore the pressure has dropped.

If this is the case then the cost of fitting it to cars should not be excessive.
Mine have got some form of 'wireless' transmitter in them. I've got to hold my hands up. As someone who checks my 'works' car religiously before use, I've been a bit slack on my own. I go off 'feel'. It's usually pretty obvious when a car tyre has lost pressure. Combined with the pressure monitors (which instantly told me of a puncture in the past), I've let slip the 'old fashioned' method of physical checks. Lesson learned.

Dropped the car off at the dealer this morning. I cringed when I got a white 107 'sport' with red go faster stripes over the bonnet and roof as a replacement. Surprised to find it's not a bad little thing if you can get past the noise.
Tyre pressure monitors-Warning. - welshlad
is it me or does painting two stripes down the car count as a new model these days allowing the dealers to tack a couple of grand onto the price a prime example is the colt CZ2 'Blackhawk' give me a roll of masking tape and a can of spray paint and i'll do it for a fiver :-)
Tyre pressure monitors-Warning. - seasiders rock
join the club, bought some metal caps early this year. came to remove them and no chance.
tried wd40, heating them, pliers. gave up in the end and local tyre shop had to cut the valve stems and fit new valves. not recommended.....
Tyre pressure monitors-Warning. - Hamsafar
Are we talking about metal stems or the usual rubber/plastic ones? I think the former are made of a metal suitable for a metal cap, but the yellow metal on rubber valves prefers a plastic cap.
Tyre pressure monitors-Warning. - freakybacon
I know its a bit late, but if using metal valve caps, a smear of grease when fitting would stop the caps corroding solid to the valve stem.
Tyre pressure monitors-Warning. - stackman
The same thing happened on my Laguna. The first valve snapped off so I ended up with a junior hacksaw trying to cut off the other dust caps.

In the end I had them all replaced with ordinary valves and stuck a bit of black tape over the warning light on the dash!
Tyre pressure monitors-Warning. - DP
I was delighted to discover our Scenic has had the godforsaken things removed and the system deactivated while in the care of its previous owners. My Renault dealer says this is a good thing!
Pleased to say that the dealer has replaced all four valves free of charge, with no quibble at all. Not even a suggestion that I would have to pay/contribute. Good for them. I'm aware that there's no naming and shaming on here, but I hope that giving credit to a good dealer is allowed. {no problems with that - DD}

Warners Peugeot of Tewkesbury....full marks to you.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 09/07/2008 at 18:01