Coasting - wazza
Must mention the experts and myself ;-) do not advice coasting because you will not be in total control of the car.

just asking out of curiosity. IF i was to coast i will leave the car in gear and simply keep the clutch pedal pressed to the floor.

In cars over 15 years or so before the ECU and fuel management came into effect you can save fuel if you press the clutch down and take your foot off the accelerator pedal when going downhill for example. In effect the car will be going at the same speed while the engine is idling therefore saving fuel.

Does this work with modern cars? With the clutch pressed in there will be enough fuel supplied to keep the engine idling.

Someone told me that if you simply take the foot of the accelerator the fuel supply will be cut-off/reduced to save fuel. This makes sense?
Coasting - GregBlack
wazza

I believe that with fuel injection systems it is more efficient just to take your foot off the gas and coast in gear. This is because the fuel is cut off. If you coast in neutral then fuel is still being injected. I think I heard that somewhere once anyway. Not sure if this applies equally to diesel injection as well as petrol.

Someone more knowledgeable is approaching...

GB
Coasting - Number_Cruncher
>>Does this work with modern cars? With the clutch pressed in there will be enough fuel supplied to keep the engine idling.

With many modern cars, you'll find the engine actually revs up if you try to coast.

>>Someone told me that if you simply take the foot of the accelerator the fuel supply will be cut-off/reduced to save fuel. This makes sense?

Yes, quite true, this is called overrun fuel cut off, and has been in place for many years. During overrun fuel cut off, modern controllers will, as well as cutting the fuel, open the idle bypass valve to reduce engine pumping losses - this reduces the pumping losses, and hence the engine braking effect on overrun.

Coasting - Lud
Ah, that's what it is. Thanks NC.
Coasting - wazza
So in effect the best way to save fuel is to take your foot off the accelerator and not to press the clutch in.

Thanks for the replies

Edited by wazza on 05/07/2008 at 00:26

Coasting - Brian Tryzers
>...this reduces the pumping losses, and hence the engine braking effect...

So if I actually want engine braking...? Doesn't actually seem to be a problem with the D5 - the hill on the A272 that used to scare me in a petrol Astra now requires a dab of throttle halfway down in third to keep the car moving.
>>So if I actually want engine braking...?

You still get some. The air that passes the throttle still gets compressed and expanded during what would have been the compression and power strokes of the engine. Both of these processes involve some loss of heat to the coolant, and this is where the vehicle's kinetic energy goes (as well as other friction and auxiliary losses [for example the fuel pump, water pump, and alternator]. A fair proportion of the energy that goes into compressing this air is given back during the "power" stroke, excpeting that energy lost to heat.

Coasting - Bill Payer
>...this reduces the pumping losses and hence the engine braking effect...
So if I actually want engine braking...? Doesn't actually seem to be a problem with
the D5 -

I didn't know about the bypass valve on cars, although don't trucks have a system that blocks the exhaust?

A few years ago we had Peugeot 405 Turbo Diesels at work and they used to vary dramatically. Drivers who (like me) use engine braking really had to be careful as some of them barely slowed down at all, yet others did so almost aggresively.

Perhaps it's different on auto's but my current Merc diesel auto has very little engine braking - on a hill of any significance it has to be knocked down to 2nd to give any useful control.
>>although don't trucks have a system that blocks the exhaust?

Yes, an exhaust brake. In older trucks, this was a pnematically operated valve which blocked the exhaust, and via another pneumatic cylinder moved the rack in the injector pump to the no fuel position.

By idle bypass valve, what I mean is that in modern petrol engines, the throttle valve shuts almost completely, and to obtain enough air flow for tick over, some air has to be allowed to bypass the closed throttle. This is usually acheived by a variable valve which is controlled by the engine mangement computer, and can vary to stabilise the idle speed.

>>on a hill of any significance it has to be knocked down to 2nd to give any useful control.

Yes!, depending upon the gear you are in many autos allow overrun via a freewheeling clutch. Descending a hill is one of the few times when I over-ride the gear chosen by the gearbox in our E300D.

As an odd example, even in 1st, while in D, there's no engine braking at all, but, if I put the lever into position 2, the freewheel clutch is shorted out, and engine braking is resumed. I tend to use position 2 to get engine braking while descending in multi storey car parks.

The best way is not to accelerate too much in the first place.

In James May's last week's article in the Telegraph motoring section, he makes the mistake of advising people who wish to drive economically to avoid braking. This is nonsense, but, nonsense that is so often repeated that people believe it. As we've just been saying, on overrun, and hence also during braking, you don't burn any fuel at all, so braking or not makes no odds at all.

It isn't as though overrun is in any way regenerative for a fossil fuel powered car. The only real difference is that by braking, as well as losing the vehicle's kinetic energy, you also lose some brake pad material.

Coasting - Manatee
Come on NC, aren't you being a little disingenuous? Braking doesn't use any petrol, as May knows full well, but if you can avoid braking more than a touch on approach to bends, junctions, roundabouts etc. then you will have avoided using too much petrol beforehand, which I'm quite sure is what May meant.

My wife drives at similar speeds to me but gets 5mpg less. The difference is I mostly judge when to lift off to reduce braking required, whereas she will stay on the acclerator much longer, then brake down rapidly for the bend, or whatever.
>>Come on NC, aren't you being a little disingenuous?

No, not at all!

If people in positions of influence simply said don't accelerate uneccesarily, then I would be happy. That's not the same as saying don't brake. While I'm sure that most who run red lights are just beastly people with no regard for the law, how many push their luck in pursuit of a misguided desire to avoid the middle pedal?

Coasting - ForumNeedsModerating
...he makes the mistake of advising people who wish to drive economically to avoid braking. This is nonsense, but, nonsense that is so often repeated that people believe it.

But perhaps not so nonsensical really. If the advisees do avoid braking, they will tend to drive in a more thoughtful & 'look ahead' manner - this is the real point I feel, not whether Mr May knows about ECU sophistications.

>>they will tend to drive in a more thoughtful & 'look ahead' manner

In that case, why not just say so?, why trot out this nonsense about braking?

Coasting - Lud
All drivers know that braking uses fuel NC. What it means is that you have left your foot on the throttle too long, and you will use fuel getting back up to speed. That said, of course, one has to use the brakes in give-and-take mixed driving. But economical drivers do it less, and perhaps a bit more firmly when they do brake (constant light braking, a characteristic behaviour of mimsers driving automatics, is very fuel-hungry).
>>All drivers know that braking uses fuel NC

Braking uses no fuel Lud - it's the excessive speed or acceleration prior to the braking event that has used the fuel. For economical driving, talking about braking is a potentially dangerous red herring.

Coasting - GJD
>>they will tend to drive in a more thoughtful & 'look ahead' manner
In that case why not just say so? why trot out this nonsense about braking?

Because thinking about the brake pedal is how you put it into practice. Yes, it is actually the removal unnecessary acceleration that saves the fuel, but how do you judge how much acceleration is necessary? Whenever an opportunity to accelerate presents itself, I decide how hard and for how long to accelerate by planning to minimise the need for braking. Using the brake pedal when it could have been safely avoided is the only thing that tells me when I've got it wrong.

It clearly works - I've saved myself between 15% and 20% off my pence per mile figure - and psychologically the most obvious change I feel in my driving is in braking. I accelerate just as positively as I ever used to, albeit a bit less often. The big thing I don't do is to stand on the brake pedal at the last minute in a desperate attempt to get the speed down.

There's a big difference between explaining the physics behind why it works and focussing the average driver's mind in the way that most effectively changes their behaviour.
Coasting - MikeTorque
Lifting off the throttle of a modern diesel cuts off the fuel supply and provides engine braking until such time where the revs drop to around 750 rpm and then the anti-stall kicks in to keep the engine running at idle speed. Hence going down a hill you use no fuel and control the speed of the car with compression engine braking and apply the foot brake if necessary. This is the safer method of driving.

If you declutch and coast then fuel is used to idle the engine, the speed of the car increases (possibly excessively) due to gravity, there is no engine braking, you have no throttle to provide acceleration should the need suddenly arise, you rely entirely on the wheel brakes to slow you down and probably cause additional brake/disc wear. This is a less safe method of driving.
Coasting - Stuartli
>>..you press the clutch down and take your foot off the accelerator pedal when going downhill for example.>>

I cannot think of anything more stupid than to "coast" downhill with the clutch pedal depressed.

My VW Bora (1.6 petrol engine) will trickle along in first or second gear at low speeds quite happily on the flat, but I also use the lower gears when going down steepish hills to maintain engine braking.

If you have the clutch depressed then the car has no engine braking whatsoever and will speed up, which is more than likely the last thing you want depending on the particular steepness of the hill.

Ironically I normally ease the throttle when for instance, coming up to traffic lights at red or into a lower speed limit area, but have once or twice been criticised for this practice on the grounds that "the driver of a vehicle behind won't be aware of the fact you are slowing down (no brake lights)."

My argument is that if they cannot work out that I'm slowing down then they are not paying due attention to what is happening in front i.e. the traffic lights are on red or the speed limit is lower...:-)
Coasting - daiking
How does this work out for going down a hill that whilst coasting would enable you to maintain (not gain speed) your given speed?

In this situation I find that lifting off the accelerator and remaining in gear slows me down and I need to apply it to maintain speed. Where as if I were to take it out of gear and allow the engine to idle I imagine I would get noticably better economy.

Any thoughts for this?

Edited by daiking on 05/07/2008 at 12:59

Coasting - Stuartli
Where as if I were to take it out of gear and allow the engine to idle I imagine I would get noticably better economy.>>

You will not be in full control of your vehicle.

If you wish to maintain the same speed downhill as on the flat, select the appropriate gear to do so - being out of gear could mean that one day you might find yourself relying only on your brakes to stop you hitting that solid stationary object.

If your engine stalled because you messed up trying to get back into gear then it could be an equally unhappy outcome..:-)
Coasting - Kanberlingoo
I've read these threads a couple of times, but never come across the statement before, that fuel is cut-off from the engine on over-run! But because I'm "running-in" my new 2008 motor (1.6 Diesel HDI) I'm not "coasting" up to traffic lights if it's obvious they will be on red for some time, as I used to do & always have done in my other motors that I've owned in the past. I've never seen the point of racing up to a red light.

I'm a "Time served" Motor Mechanic, but have been out of the trade for a hulluva long time, now in Marine Engineering. So these engine management systems & plug in diagnostic fault finders etc. etc. are a no-brainer to me. So my question is, how does this fuel cut-off system work on over-run?

If neutral is selected whilst moving at any speed (for the sake of the discussion, forget the safety angle) the engine will go to tick-over, so fuel, has to be being injected otherwise we stall. But on over-run, I'm reading that fuel is not being injected. Which means, if I'm reading this correctly, that at any given speed, even m/way speeds, once the accelerator pedal is released, fuel stops flowing? I find that very hard to accept.
But if that is the case, at what speed does the fuel decide to flow again, when you consider that you could go on over-run from whatever speed, to a complete stop, but obviously the engine needs to maintain tick-over.

Really looking forward to the definitive answer on this one.

BeeJay
Coasting - Stuartli
As I stated earlier, my 1.6 petrol VW Bora will trickle along in first or second gear quite smoothly with my foot off the accelerator - it wouldn't do that without fuel getting through...:-)
Coasting - sierraman
As I stated earlier my 1.6 petrol VW Bora will trickle along in first or
second gear quite smoothly with my foot off the accelerator - it wouldn't do that
without fuel getting through...:-)

Because you are'trickling along' you are not on the over run,so of course fuel is required.
Years ago a kit was available to fit carburettors with anti run on valves,i.e. a valve in the idle circuit which had to have 12 volts applied to it to remain open and allow fuel to flow.The kit used a vacuum sensor to determine when the engine was in the over run state and would interupt the 12 volt supply to the anti run on valve,thus saving fuel.
Modern cars do the same thing,possibly a bit more sophisticated.So,coasting in a modern car will use more fuel,coasting in a carburetted car will save fuel but loses some control.
Coasting - AlanGowdy
I tried coasting down a long (mile plus) gradient near my home with top gear engaged and my foot off the pedals and the trip computer read 99.99 mpg as the instant consumption figure.

I repeated the exercise in neutral, with the same entry speed of 40 mph and again the computer read 99.99 mpg.

The only difference was that my exit speed (hence momentum) was rather higher in neutral with no engine braking so do I conclude that to coast in neutral is more efficient? Or was the computer lying to me?
Coasting - Lud
It may have been. There may be no figure higher than 99.9mpg on the readout. The symbol for infinity might puzzle some drivers.
Coasting - Jamesh266
In a very unscientific experiment carried out yesterday on a nearby hill, my Citroen allegedly does 471 mpg in neutral, and 999 mpg when in fifth gear but with no pressure on the accelerator. Going back up the hill flat out in second gear it does 11 mpg. All figures were provided by the trip computer.

Therefore I conclude that it is more efficient to go down the hill in fifth gear then neutral, though I can't quite comprehend why this should be the case.
Coasting - Bill Payer
I tried coasting down a long (mile plus) gradient near my home with top gear
engaged and my foot off the pedals

That's not coasting.
I repeated the exercise in neutral

That's coasting.
do I conclude that to coast in neutral is more efficient?

Runing down in gear should use no fuel at all, whereas coasting uses some fuel to maintain tickover.

If you could usefully use the extra speed gained by coasting then it may well be more efficient as the amount of fule used to maintain tickover would be minscule. However coasting is bad driving practice and is of course illegal.
Coasting - Cliff Pope
>>

However coasting is bad driving practice and is of course illegal.

Unless of course you are driving a car that has a free-wheel device, in which case it is legal, saves fuel, and is presumably therefore good driving practice.
Coasting - Lud
'So there!' one is tempted to add.

It's none of anyone else's business if a competent driver chooses to freewheel. It isn't necessarily dangerous and it can be economical.

Not a good idea to turn the engine off in cars with assisted brakes and steering though.

:o}

Edited by Lud on 06/07/2008 at 17:36

Coasting - sierraman
I recall my Dad's Rover 90 had optional freewheel,I think there was a large knurled wheel under the dash to switch between engine braking and freewheel.Having tried it in freewheel mode once he decided it was downright dangerous,a conclusion Rover came to,as the option was soon deleted.
Coasting - Bill Payer
>>Having tried it in freewheel mode once he decided it was downright dangerous

Thank you.
Coasting - Lud
Saab used to have the feature too. Works best on empty roads though. Wouldn't be much use on today's mimser-infested A roads.
Coasting - madf
I had Rover 16,75 with frewheel. I garee it was very danderous as the loss of control on downroads was quite noticeable.. and especially those heavy cars with drum brakes down steep hills> Brake fade is not nice and is very smelly.

As a result I never coast - ever...

The prospect of the engine stopping and losing all servo assistance to the brakes and power sterring is too awful to contemplate.

(As anyone who has had to stop a car if the servo fails will know).

Partiicularly true in diesels with engine driven vacuum pumps.

Fuel injection shutoff on overrun was introduced in the early 1970s with BMW if I recall correctly.
Coasting - AlanGowdy
I tried coasting down a long (mile plus) gradient near my home with top gear
engaged and my foot off the pedals

REPLY That's not coasting.

You are right of course.

>>However coasting is bad driving practice and is of course illegal.

Bad practice perhaps, but is it really illegal?
Coasting - kithmo
Really looking forward to the definitive answer on this one.

First EFi car I had back in 1990 was a 1988 Rover 216 Vitesse with the 1.6 O-Series engine (ALA montego). The Fuel was cut off on overrun triggered, by the zero signal from the Throttle potentiometer, providing the engine rpm was above 1200. When the rpm dropped back down to 1200, the fuel injection cut back in. So it was more economical to actually change down a gear at low speeds when taking the foot off the throttle, so that the rpm was over 1200.
>>Really looking forward to the definitive answer on this one.

It's impossible to be definitive, as each engine management system is programmed differently.

For example figures, overrun fuel cut off might work anywhere above, say, 1400 - 1500 rpm, with fuelling being switched back on again as the engine drops below, say, 1100 rpm. Rather than the exact figures, which vary from car to car, the main point of note is that there is a difference between the fuel cut off speed, and the fuel cut on speed to prevent the engine dithering if you happen to be at that set point.

As far as no fuel on the overrun being a difficult concept, it isn't as though the engine can immediately stop when fuel is cut off - especially in a high gear, the inertia of the car will continue to turn the engine, and if the cut off/on sequence is well programmed, the driver will feel no jerks or bangs.

Coasting - moonshine {P}

Coasting - take out of gear, no point in sitting there with the clutch depressed.

Loss of control - I dont see how coasting causes a loss of control?

Coasting with the engine off - dangerous - steering locks, servo assistance etc

Efficiency - depends on the conditions. If you will be coming to a stop then leave in gear and allow engine braking to help stop the car. General consenus is that the fuel will be cut off to the engine. If you are not coming to a stop then the extra momentum gained down an incline will allow you to travel further, so in certain circumstances coasting is much more efficent.
Coasting - Kanberlingoo
General consenus is
that the fuel will be cut off to the engine.

Hmmmm! Had a word with the service manager at my local Citroen dealership this morning, & asked the question.
His reply was in favour of coasting against over-run, if approaching a red light etc.

When I asked about the fuel being cut off when applying an over-run situation, he said that there is a slight reduction in fuel supplied to the engine, but that only occurs at relatively higher speeds than you would expect in town driving when the acc pedal is released. At town driving speeds is just doesn't occur.

Swings & roundabouts, I say. ;)
Coasting - Cliff Pope
If taking your foot off the accelerator really does cut the fuel supply to nil, then surely that is like saying the engine has stopped running, ie firing? When it restarts again, why isn't there a jerk, as when bump-starting?

I could understand that the supply of fuel might be cut to an absolute minimum on overrun, but nil?
Coasting - moonshine {P}

the engine doesn't stop - it's still being turned over, hence no jerk. General thinking is that the fuel is only cut off when over 2k rpm, any lower and I guess the engine could stall - which would then cuase a jerk.
Coasting - Roger Jones
"Never coast in neutral; idling uses more fuel than running in gear on a closed throttle."

from

tinyurl.com/5cemm9
Coasting - Cliff Pope
the engine doesn't stop - it's still being turned over hence no jerk. General thinking
is that the fuel is only cut off when over 2k rpm any lower and
I guess the engine could stall - which would then cuase a jerk.

I realise it is being turned over - so is an engine on the starter motor before it has fired, and so is a car being bump started.
My point was, it is turning over but it can't be firing because there is no fuel. So why is there no jerk when the fuel supply is restored and the engine starts firing again?
Coasting - moonshine {P}

I would guess its becuase of the higher rpms?

A starter motor wont crank an engine over at 2k rpm.

When bump starting a car you are normally applying throttle, so when the engine fires it has a bit more kick.
Imagine bump starting a car at say 20mph with your foot off the throttle. Other than the jerk from when you put it into gear, i would imagine it would be rather smooth.
Coasting - stackman
Totally unscientific I know but what with the recent fuel increases and all I changed my driving technique whereby I look for every opportunity to "coast" on the overrun in top gear, try to brake as little as possible and accelerate quite briskly to my required speed.

Typically on an A road I will accelerate to 60mph then coast in top to about 50, then accelerate again and so on. Done properly it can be achieved with an acceptable level of smoothnes. It is possible to do this to and from work where the traffic is light. I am not so inconsiderate as to do this when someone is following me, choosing instead to maintain a steady 55-60mph on the smallest possible throtle opening.

The result is that the economy on my 1.8 litre Laguna has increased from 30mpg to 35mpg. Not to be sneezed at.

Edited by stackman on 07/07/2008 at 17:40

Coasting - Lud
Excellent stackman. Spot on.
Coasting - gpmartin
So do you find then, stackman, that accelerating to 60, closing throttle to 50, then accelerating again to 60 is more fuel efficient than maintaining a steady 57ish? Do you have cruise control and do you use it when maintaining a constant speed?
One of the ways to reduce any jerk upon the re-admission of fuel is to retard the ignition, thus reducing the engine's capability to produce torque. Then, after the fuel is switched on again, the ignition timing is advanced again over a few hundred engine revs.

Yes, the fuel is fully cut off, the injectors go completely dead. No fuel at all is injected on overrun fuel cut off.

If you want to see what's going on with your injectors (petrol engines only!), why not tempoarily wire an LED in, and run it up to the dashboard. Then, you'll be able to see when there's no fuel being injected, if your car doesn't have a computer.

Engines do feel rough when being cranked or bump started because they are running at slow speed, among other reasons, because they are vibrating at too low a frequency for the engine mountings to be effective vibration isolators - during overrun cut off, this isn't an issue.

Coasting - Bill Payer
So do you find then stackman that accelerating to 60 closing throttle to 50 then
accelerating again to 60 is more fuel efficient than maintaining a steady 57ish?

That's exactly how the extreme fuel economy guys (the one that do 2000MPG+ in torpedo shaped carts on bicycal tyres) drive.
Coasting - Lud
Except that they tune their engines very lean and rough, and turn them off altogether (or did in the old carburettor days) until they were doing 15 or 20 mph, then drive at full throttle in top gear to 50 or so, engine off, etc. etc.

Total nightmare.
Coasting - stackman
Judging by the figures on the instantaneous fuel consumption display then the dash and coast approach seems more economical.

Due to an electrical glitch my trip computer displays only in metric measurements so I work in litres per hundred kilometers !

Accelerating back to sixty sees the display read about 12l/100km, then down to zero while I "coast" but maintaining a steady 57mph gives a continual figure of 8-9 l/100km.

I would estimate that the ratio of accerating to coasting would be about 1:3 or 1:4.

I don't have cruise control, just use the lightest touch on the throttle pedal.

I must say that since adopting this technique I find it more satisfying than when in my youth I would try to get everywhere as quickly as possible. Interestingly journey times have not been affected. I do now have a searing resentment for any uphill gradients as this means I have to put my foot down !

I'm not sure who said it but I do recall a quote which says that accerating uses fuel, braking wastes it.

Edited by stackman on 08/07/2008 at 10:59

Coasting - Lud
I do now have a searing resentment for any uphill
gradients as this means I have to put my foot down !

How do you feel about mimsers who brake on downhill stretches to keep their speed down to 45 on a NSL A road when you can see the hill opposite and no hazards, just enough traffic coming the other way to prevent an overtake?
Coasting - Alanovich
After reading this thread yesterday, I too tried a similar approach to stackman on my run to work this morning. The MPG on my 1.6 Seat Toledo (according to the trip computer) went from the usual disappointing 28 to 39! Incredible! I had been blaming the car for dreadful fuel economy (I only got 275 miles out of my last tank, from full to the first warning light coming on), but all along it's been my fault.

Edited by Alanovich on 08/07/2008 at 10:38

Coasting - Roger Jones
tinyurl.com/jtd4a
Coasting - Alby Back
Did a 420 mile round trip yesterday. Outbound 210 miles I caned it because I was late and left the AC on because I didn't want to look sweaty and dishevelled on arrival. Homebound I drove like a nun and with the AC off. Set the fuel trip before each leg. 46 mpg outbound 46.8 homebound. Hmmm.
Coasting - Bill Payer
46 mpg outbound

I'd love to know what sort of car you have that you can "cane" (and with the a/c on) and still get 46MPG?
Coasting - gpmartin
I'm getting intrigued by this now. Suppose you're slowing to a halt over a long straight, and you've been delicate with the throttle so that there's no need to brake and you can just use engine braking to slow the car. You leave the car engaged in 5th gear and close the throttle. The car gradually slows, but at (say) 2000rpm fuel is injected again to prevent stalling. Is it then more fuel efficient to change down a gear to increase revs so that fuel is cut off again? Is the best way to stop by changing progressively down through the gears as the revs drop off?
Coasting - Bill Payer
The answer to that has to be yes, but the difference would be miniscule, as changing down on a level road each time the revs dropped would bring the car to stop pretty quickly.
If you coasted, with the engine ticking over, or even left the car with 5th engaged until the juddering became unbearable, you'd use some fuel but the car would have travelled further.
Coasting - Cliff Pope
Report in today's Telegraph "Five ways to make your fuel go further":

!) "By building up your speed gradually and coasting towards a red light".
Coasting - moonshine {P}

one thing I've learnt form this thread is that driving like a nun will not improve your fuel enconomy. I guess nuns drive badly and should take up some the tips in the Telegraph, then they might be able to improve their mpg...
Coasting - Kanberlingoo
I'm getting close to filling my new Berlingo 1.6 HDI Desire up. I've only done 510mls since getting it 30/05/08 when it was filled to full by the dealer, & the fuel gauge is just above 1/4. So still a bit to go before the warning light comes on (I know it's not wise to let the fuel drop so low, but I'm experimenting) So the tank holds 60ltrs (13.2galls)
@ 510mls, that's just short of 39mpg so far. I hope when I've completed the run-in & got maybe a couple of Ks on the clock that the figures should be around 50ish.

Had a few friendly words with the service manager today, after I'd checked the tyre pressures, which should be 2.3bar & found them all to be 2.8bar??? a difference of 8psi.

BeeJay
Coasting - Kanberlingoo
Well for those interested, I finally filled up today at 571 mls. getting 53.87 ltrs in, which works out at 48.19mpg. That's after running on reserve for app. 8mls.

That's pretty amazing, considering that mileage was all urban, & on a tight engine to boot.
Coasting - TheOilBurner
Not bad, would love to see what it could do on a run with a worn-in engine.
Coasting - L'escargot
IF i was to coast i will leave the car
in gear and simply keep the clutch pedal pressed to the floor.

That will put unnecessary wear on the clutch release bearing ~ as will keeping your foot on the clutch pedal when stationary.
Coasting - jazzy
It is important to remember that when a vehicle is over-running down a hill in gear that the engine is acting as a brake, which is absorbing energy to overcome engine pumping and frictional losses - it is also causing wear in the the drivetrain components (gear teeth, CV joints etc.). These losses mean that the energy supplied for free by gravity is being wasted, and you car will not roll as far along the flat at the bottom of the hill or go as far up the 'other side of the hill'.

Coasting out of gear means that you are getting full benefit from gravity and as long as you don't exceed the speed limit I don't see a problem. The only drag on the car is from wheel bearing and tyre friction and drag from the air, which you get when you are in gear as well.

I drive a Honda Jazz, and the 'mpg' readout goes to 150mpg when I coast down a hill, and in a 60 limit I can roll for a good 1/2 mile on the flat before the speed drops 45 to 50mph, if I leave it in top gear and overrun I go barely half that distance and am slowing rapidly.

As for loss of control, a car is most stable when non of the wheels is either driving or braking, as this gives tyres the best grip on the road because they are only dealing with lateral forces and not the extra rotational forces imposed on them by acceleration or deceleration.
Coasting - J Bonington Jagworth
"the 'mpg' readout goes to 150mpg when I coast down a hill"

If what others have said is true (that the fuel gets cut off completely on the overrun) what does it say when you leave it in gear? Should be infinity, presumably :-)

I must admit that I agree with your general argument - as you imply, the removal of engine braking (by coasting) more than compensates for the fuel used by idling over that period. Kinder to the machinery, too, especially those of us with old CV joints!
Coasting - sierraman
It will make no difference,CV joints,driveshafts,diff and most of the gears will be driven by the wheels.In the old days some cars had a freewheel facility,no engine braking on over run.My Dad had it on a Rover 90,he considered it too dangerous to use.
Just realised I already said this in this thread,that's the trouble with digging up old ones.

Edited by sierraman on 10/12/2009 at 10:13

Coasting - J Bonington Jagworth
"It will make no difference,CV joints,driveshafts,diff and most of the gears will be driven by the wheels"

But in neutral, they're not driving the engine. Not a big issue, as NC points out, but a difference nonetheless.

I once had a 2-stroke Wartburg, which by virtue of its lubrication system (petroil) had a freewheel mechanism to avoid underlubrication on the overrun. The car (a roomy estate) was very smooth and economical, possibly because every time you lifted off, the engine reverted to tickover - I loved it.
>>"the 'mpg' readout goes to 150mpg when I coast down a hill"

In normal use, messing around with how the car is slowed is just about the most academic way to improve mpg that there is. It's a transient event which is already a low fuel use event however you approach it.

Adjusting your tyre pressures appropriately for high speed use, reducing drag from open windows, and reducing your cruise speed by, say, 5 mph on the motorway will give an improvement in fuel consumption which will dwarf any small gains from coasting.

Wear on the driveline caused by coasting is also minimal - the overrun torque produced by engine braking is tiny when compared with the drive torque the engine can produce when accelerating - all the driveline parts are designed against the maximum engine torque and a safety factor on top - overrun really isn't an issue.

Coasting - Cliff Pope
I see this thread has been coasting for 17 months without anyone needing to re-engage.
Coasting - LikedDrivingOnce
A nice, witty observation - made me chuckle. :-)