insuring son's car - focusman
hi
son is in the armed forces and is off soon on a 6 month tour. meanwhile his car (civic type r) will be sat on the drive costing him money in insurance.
i wondered if anyone knows if it is possible to insure the car in my name, insurance a lot cheaper for me.
car is on a pcp with son registered keeper

thanks in advance
insuring son's car - 3D Engineers
No.

You have no insurable interest.

WP
insuring son's car - ijws15
If you are going to drive it you are insuring the risk that you will cause loss to others.

May be more expensive if it is not registered in your name.
insuring son's car - a900ss
It will probably be cheaper to get it in a garage (friends or rented) and then reduce the insurance cover to just fire and theft (NOT TPF&T, just F&T). That way you are not paying for any road cover and becasue the car is garaged the F&T premium should be quite low.
insuring son's car - doctorchris
Is anybody going to drive this car for 6 months? If not, why not cancel the insurance and obtain a refund, then immobilise it, eg take off 2 wheels and put on axle stands.
If the car is on a drive it is then unlikely to come to harm, unless a tree falls on it or some such unlikely occurence. Your son could also get a VED refund if he declares the car SORN.
insuring son's car - retgwte
if you rent a garage you can get a special policy from some insurance companies for cars not used and kept in a garage, this cover is fully comp, and very cheap, will be probably be a lot cheaper than paying full whack normal insurance even when you take price of garage rental into account

if youre in the south east you can get secure garages with CCTV on them etc which are popular with the rich and famous when they go to LA for 6 months :) again probably cheaper than just keeping regular car insurance ticking over

however remember to restart the insurance and start driving again you need to take out a policy within a time limit of cancelling the old one or you cannot transfer the no claims bonus, i think this is a year or two depending on insurance company

oh and you can insure it in your name if you are the main driver, many a time my father has had a car owned by me insured in his name, insurance company are quite happy if you are open and honest with them about it

good luck

insuring son's car - CGNorwich
Most Insurers will suspend an existing Motor Insurance Policy at a reduced premium

During the period when cover is suspended, they provide cover for loss or damage caused by fire or theft but is is usually dependant on the car being kept in a locked private garage.

I suspect it will be difficult if no impossible to obtain such cover for an ungaraged car.