Why is that junction called....? - ifithelps
Henly's Corner on the North Circular in London was mentioned in another thread.

The garage - BL - has long since gone, but the name has stuck.

Made me think of other junctions and how they got their names.

How about the Target roundabout on the A40 at Greenford, Middlesex?

Now a graded junction, it was named after a rough old pub which used to stand on the roundabout.

Then there's Staple's Corner at the bottom of the M1 - named after Staples bed factory which used to stand there.

I'm sure there are many others...
Why is that junction called....? - jc2
In our town-the Army and Navy roundabout-they've just pulled the pub of that name down-next roundabout is the Odeon-pulled that down years ago.We've got another Odeon but it's not at the roundabout-all over Essex are junctions/roundabouts called after local pubs/buildings that have changed their name or are long gone.Carreras springs to mind.
Why is that junction called....? - Bromptonaut
I think Henley's were on that corner from the early days of the motor car, so were there a lot longer than they've been gone. The Target is now a MacDonalds.

Highways Agency now seem to have a very helpful policy to of adding the name to the junction sign posts.
Why is that junction called....? - isisalar
Strictly speaking Henlys corner should be called 'The naked lady'.
Why is that junction called....? - Alby Back
My father in law uses a system I call "Pub Nav". If ever he is asked to give directions he can rarely remember the road names but will tell people to do something like....." Go straight on past the Red Lion, turn left opposite the Dog and Partridge, carry straight on until you come to the Swan with two Necks. If you get there you've gone a bit too far. What you really needed to do was turn right just before that. Go up past the Jolly Sailor.............."
Why is that junction called....? - henry k
>>My father in law uses a system I call "Pub Nav".
>>If ever he is asked to give directions he can rarely remember the road names...

A well known navigation aid.

There is a Running Horse Pub on the Ascot to Bracknell road and I had used that road for many many years but not in recent years.
So discussing a route through Bracknell I commented that the pub was on the left.
NO! It is on the right was the reply.
In the intervening years it had been demolished, a Running Horse roundabout built and then the pub rebuilt on a totally new site.
Why is that junction called....? - gordonbennet
A well known navigation aid.

Old time truck drivers also use Caff Nav, and it sounds more poetic, the mere fact most of the cafes have long gone and are now housing estates and hotels makes not a jot of difference, turn right just after Tubbies (or left before Tubbies if going the other way) will take you into the new dist complex just off jct 18 M1, Tubbies may have closed down some 20 odd years ago, but is still there in soul.

Some mods use caff nav too.;)
Why is that junction called....? - Mad Maxy
I've got no time for sat-nav. I use shout-nav: "Oi mate, how do you get...?"
Why is that junction called....? - Pugugly
I know of at least two Black Cat roundabouts - what's that about ?

And near Caernarfon there's the Fingerpost Roundabout - known locally as "Y Ffingar" which sounds vaguely obscene in English when said by a Welsh speaker.
Why is that junction called....? - Soupytwist
Before the A12 bypassed the middle of Chelmsford, the words Army & Navy roundabout were enough to strike terror into my childhood heart as we contemplated a journey from Basildon to the grandparents in Colchester. Imagine my disappointment when the much heralded flyover turned out to be one way only!

Other junctions that have gone the same way include the Orsett Cock (ooo er) and the Five Bells, at least the Rayleigh Weir's still hanging on in there.
Why is that junction called....? - cockle {P}
We seem to have a fair few in Essex.

My favourite is the Fortune of War on the A127 because it not only qualifies as being named after a pub which is no longer there but is also the most ridiculous redundant 'roundabout' you're ever likely to see.
Basically they built a bridge to take the local traffic running north/south across the A127 off the junction but then found out that it was going to be extremely expensive to move all the services which used the middle of the roundabout, telephone manholes, gas relays etc so they just closed the central reservations up to the roundabout and left it there as a sort of abandoned island.
It now has a 40 limit with speed cameras and a 20 limit for HGV's as they overturn there with amazing regularity. The County Council now say that it's a useful 'point of interest' on an otherwise boring journey and as it breaks the boredom of driving in a straight line for too long on the journey from London to Southend they now regard it as an additional safety feature!
You couldn't make it up could you?

tinyurl.com/6gu94y
The A127 actually continues under the Fortune of War r/about;the A127-Eastern Avenue-was originally built with no roundabouts.
I'd forgotten about the FoW, thankfully I seldom drive along that stretch of the A127. What people who've never encountered it before make of it one can only guess!
Why is that junction called....? - Greenslade
Charlie Brown's roundabout in Woodford, which, as a kid, I assumed was named after a favourite comic strip. My father subsequently informed me that one Charlie Brown had a motor emporium there, many years ago.

There are some evocative junction names in Devon, which I recall from university days. Where did 'Wobbly Wheel' come from (A38 shortly before the M5)? Other favourites were Merrymeet (A30) and Wapperwell.

Again in Devon, and out walking the moors near (I think) Buckfastleigh, we discovered a minor junction called Ted's Grave. Poor Ted.

Finally, Earwig Corner (junction of A26 and Ringmer road in Lewes) must have an interesting story.

Edited by Greenslade on 29/06/2008 at 14:36

Why is that junction called....? - isisalar
Often hear on traffic reports of the 'Air balloon roundabout' .What's that all about?
Scotch Corner - major north/south/west junction of A1/A66.

But it's in North Yorkshire, nowhere near Scotland.
Why is that junction called....? - Robin Reliant
Gallows Corner in Romford always intrigued me, it must have had an interesting history.
Crooked Billet on the North Circular (?) - think that's a pub.

Charllie Brown's - above - was a small chain of fast-fits.

Green Man roundabout top of Leytonstone High Road in East London - another pub.
Crooked Billet on the North Circular (?) - think that's a pub.

Cooked Billet at Staines. The pub was flattened this year.
Scotch Corner - major north/south/west junction of A1/A66.
But it's in North Yorkshire nowhere near Scotland.

The jucntion where travellers to the east of Scotland and those heading for the west went on their seperate ways.
Why is that junction called....? - rustbucket
Another roundabout adjacent to "The Airballon" pub on the A417. My grandfather and my dad also navigate by pub directions , it used to be a very common method of describing a route years ago as pubs names never changed and not many were converted or taken out of use as today.
Why is that junction called....? - csgmart
Often hear on traffic reports of the 'Air balloon roundabout' .What's that all about?

It's a pub adjacent to the roundabout - nice place to eat actually.
Why is that junction called....? - tack
Actually, Charlie Browns was a greasy spoon cafe at the roundabout of that name. What about Trebor lights on Woodford Ave, Roneo Corner Romford, Moby Dick lights on Eastern Ave Romford..... known all across europe I think.
Henly's Corner on the North Circular in London was mentioned in another thread.
The garage - BL - has long since gone, but the name has stuck.

A4 Bath Road at Hounslow. The roundabout where the A30 starts is also a Henly's roundabout.

Scilly Isles just near Sandown race course Esher, Surrey
The pub adjacent is the Marquis of Granby and always has been.
It is surounded by green and was at one stage the end of the Kingston bypass.
No idea how the name came about.

Robin Reliant,

Thanks for answering my Scotch Corner question (above).

I will never call you a dog killer again.:)
Charlie Brown was the landlord of the Roundabout pub on the other side of the junction to Tom's Cafe.He used to own a pub in the East End known as "Charlie Browns" till bombed out.
Why is that junction called....? - tack
Can I claim partial correctness over Charlie Browns? I recall, as a teenager, a lorry drivers greasy spoon at the roundabout. It was called Charlie Browns. Funny thing is, I don't remember the pub at all. Mind you, I didn't start drinking until 1973.....and still haven't finished. "Time ladies and gennelmen perleeeeaze!"
Why is that junction called....? - hectordog
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here but I only just found it while searching for a photo of the demolished pub on Charlie Brown's roundabout which I believe was called "The Roundabout"

I used to be fascinated with it as a child. It had a large pole outside with a carousel on top complete with carved horses. The reason you won't remember it if you didn't start drinking until 1973 was it got pulled down in 1972. I was only 6 and was devastated.

Why is that junction called....? - FP
The famous "two-way" roundabout in the centre of Hemel Hempstead has popularly - and possibly ironically - been known for years as "The Magic Roundabout".

Virtually no-one knows its real name - "The Plough" Roundabout, named after a pub demolished when the new town was being built and the roads reconfigured.
Why is that junction called....? - Lud
Scotch Corner question (above).

For a time in late fifties my parents lived near Dunfermline and I in London or not far from it, and I thumbed my way up and down the A1 a good few times. Scotch Corner was by its very nature a place where one lift often ended and you had to wait for another.

I seem to remember that standing in a sleet-laden gale beside the road there at 2 or 3 am in December or January was an experience that quickly palled. The traffic could be a bit thin at that time although there were always a few lorries. I think there was a big hotel or roadhouse beside the Scotch Corner roundabout but it was out of my financial class in those days as most things were and closed anyway in the small hours.
The hotel became part of the Hilton group.
Sadly, such quaint old names that grew from local custom will soon be a thing of the past thanks to politically correct local authorities. Our grandchildren will be negotiating Nelson Mandela Roundabout and Low Carbon Emmisions Corner.
Sadly such quaint old names that grew from local custom will soon be a thing of the past
thanks to politically correct local authorities.
Our grandchildren will be negotiating Nelson Mandela Roundabout and Low Carbon Emmisions Corner.

Please keep up to speed there. ;-)

Labour Council Hounslow has had Steve Beko Way for many years.
Why is that junction called....? - Ian (Cape Town)
Nelson Mandela Roundabout

Steve Beko Way

Ha! NOT funny at all, people! Why? Because since 1994, and the democratisation of South Africa, every single road, highway, bridge, public building etc has been named after the Heroes of the Struggle.

Now, I don't have much of a problem with this - renaming the places which were previously named after evil apartheid figures - but when there are six or seven Nelson Mandela Drives/Roads/Lanes/highways within a 25km radius, it does get just a tad confusing!
In addition, a lot of names have been changed to the 'traditional' names, so Durban is now Ethikweni, Bloemfontein is now Manguang, Pretoria is Tswane, Pietersberg is Polokwane etc. The only people making money are those who print atlasses!

Dragging myself back to topic, there are a few 'landmarks' which still turn up in road directions and reports, even though they don't exist any more.
Locals still refer to the Power Station corner, though it was demolished 10 years back, and advise you to turn right at the racecourse (likewise) ...
I think there was a big hotel or roadhouse beside the Scotch Corner roundabout but it was out of my financial class in those days as most things were......

I once had an illicit weekend there many years ago one November with a girl ( now my wife ). You are right Lud it is pretty bleak and certainly wasn't cheap. Goodness knows why that particular venue was chosen. There really wasn't much to do except...well... be illicit. The cost of the hotel does however pale into insignificance by comparison to the total cost of the excercise in retrospect. ;-)

Still can't drive by there without a sharp stabbing sensation in the wallet region.
a sharp stabbing sensation in the wallet region.

That's the most graceless rendering of 'syrupy romantic pang' that I've ever seen in my life.
Well it passes for sentimentality if one is Scottish ! Aye............ :-)

Edited by Shoespy on 29/06/2008 at 17:39

Scotch Corner Hotel.

Still there and part of a chain Quality, Friendly, or somesuch.

Called in a few weeks ago for the first time, having passed it fairly regularly over the years.

Inside looked like it had recently been done out, car park full of potholes, though.

And the only people in the bar were a group of young males off a coach.

They meant no harm, but I decided to take my lunch in other company.
I have a faint, just possibly false, memory of once being stood a drink there fairly late one night by an expansive salesman type who had given me a lift. Although the guy had kindly given me a lift and stood me a drink, my memory is that it was a harsh experience because he was a bit tiresome and overbearing as some people are, I didn't drink much in those days, the place was noisy and brightly lit, I was tired and I wanted to get on.

But needs must when the devil drives, innit? Damn sight better than standing in the sleet for two hours.
Why is that junction called....? - frazerjp
Milton Keynes has a fair few names for their roundabout junctions :-)
Why is that junction called....? - drbe
>>
Scilly Isles just near Sandown race course Esher Surrey
>> No idea how the name came about.

>>

When that collection of traffic islands and roundabouts was first installed, nobody quite new which way to go round it/them, locals christened it "the Silly Isles". For once the local Authority - Esher Council - it was in those days, showed that they were human after all and adopted the name, with a small adjustment to the spelling.

So "The Silly Isles" it was and "The Scilly Isles" it became and has remained so.
The answer to how Charlie Brown's roundabout got it's name -

tinyurl.com/5ayaao

And Gallows Corner -

tinyurl.com/65msla

Edited by Robin Reliant on 29/06/2008 at 20:26

Which is what I said higher up except I gave Charlie's pub the wrong name-it was actually called the "Merry-go-Round" and was just across the road from the transport caff-Tom's.

An interesting list ---- only in the UK.
www.urban75.org/london/london-corners.html

Tibbets corner on the A3

Named after a "Gamekeeper, which may surprise those who have seen the sculpture depicting a Highwayman on the roundabout at Tibbet's Corner. Tibbett was actually responsible for protecting the estates around the top of Putney Hill from poachers, robbers and highwaymen - though hold-ups were common-place in the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries for coaches on their way to and from central London."
Why is that junction called....? - Waino
High voltage to low voltage pole electrical transformers are usually named after local landmarks - many of which have since disappeared. I was amused to note that the 'Happy Eater' transformer at the side of the A1 near Sandy, Beds retains its name despite the fact that the eatery has now become 'The Happy Lover' Adult Pit Stop - or, at least, it was last time I had to visit the transformer.
Why is that junction called....? - Cliff Pope
High voltage to low voltage pole electrical transformers are usually named after local landmarks -
many of which have since disappeared. I was amused to note that the 'Happy Eater'
transformer at the side of the A1 near Sandy Beds retains its name despite the
fact that the eatery has now become 'The Happy Lover' Adult Pit Stop - or
at least it was last time I had to visit the transformer.

We have our very own little transformer and it doesn't have a name. Do Smiths do a book of transformer names and their meanings? What is the current most popular?
Why is that junction called....? - Snakey
Testos roundabout on the A19 towards the tunnel. Can't remember what the testos was but I vaguely remember a caravan dealer being there!
Why is that junction called....? - Waino
We have our very own little transformer and it doesn't have a name. >>

Cliff, it's not that I'm an anorak, it's because I work with them - honest!

AFAIK, they've all got names - usually on a small embossed plate affixed to the transformer pole, although many are missing because they've been shot off by kids with air-rifles etc. The most common one, I guess, is 'Village' because it was the first or main one in a village but I think my favourite one is 'Maggot Factory' named after a long-defunct local enterprise!
I heard the explanation of Charlie Brown's being an old sailor's pub on the Danny Baker breakfast show once and wondered how a pub out by the North Circular became a natural haunt for seafarers. That link explains that it was originally in Limehouse which is a far more likely location for a sailor's haunt.
I heard the explanation of Charlie Brown's being an old sailor's pub on the Danny
Baker breakfast show once and wondered how a pub out by the North Circular became
a natural haunt for seafarers. >>

Such ignorance.

The River Roding runs alongside Chigwell road.
And enters the Thames as Barking Creek.
Why is that junction called....? - adverse camber
How about 'Dangerous Corner'?

I'm told that it was the site of a particularly bad stagecoach crash.
>>drbe
>>So "The Silly Isles" it was and "The Scilly Isles" it became and has remained so.
>>
Thanks for that gem. It is my local roundabout.

>>UkGuy
>>..never know which lane to be in when coming from Esher to take the back road into Kingston upon Thames.
>>
And indicating as per highway code is a no no.
Approaching from Hampton Court, it is always a challenge to identify who is taking your route.
For those not familiar with this gem. Esher to Kingston ( second exit) through this roundabout is almost a straight line and at "normal speeds" IMO, to indicate would risk an accident
Why is that junction called....? - UkGuy

One of my 'faves' has always been the Hoover Building (Capital radio often refer to it as Hoovers corner now - sounds like a car boot site)

As a kid always had the mental image of a building full of vacuums going round doing admin stuff while the tannoy blurted out the score from the sourcers apprentice.

Never knew about the Scilly isles as I live round that way - never know which lane to be in when coming from esher to take the back road into kingston upon thames

and as for the local council listening to the locals - I think thats the last time Elmbridge EVER listened! ;)
- never know
which lane to be in when coming from esher to take the back road into
kingston upon thames

>>

I always (well, nearly always) take the centre lane of three.
I think the left hand lane should be be vehicles going up the Hampton Court Way.
Using a similar logic the right hand lane should be for vehicles going toward hinchley Wood and the A3.

As elsewhere in life, not everyone agrees with me, people in the left lane go straight ahead etc. etc.
and as for the local council listening to the locals - I think thats the
last time Elmbridge EVER listened! ;)

I think the key point here is that in those days it was ESHER Council, not the shower of misfits collectively known as ELMBRIDGE Council.

A pox on all of them.
The big hub nut holding the rotor of a helicopter on its shaft is similarly named (anyway in the US armed forces), for equivalent reasons.
Why is that junction called....? - Mapmaker
>>A1 near Sandy 'The Happy Lover' Adult Pit Stop - or, at least

Has to be one of the more surreal things on (or by!) our roads.

Cambridge has a Staples corner - where you can buy printers, computers and erasers from Staples.

And Mayfair has a Scotch corner - outside the Scotch House.

Both amuse me when I hear them.
And Mayfair has a Scotch corner - outside the Scotch House.

Mapmaker,

Scotch Corner in central London is surely the junction of Brompton and Old Brompton roads in Knightsbridge.

Think it's Lud's manor, so he might be along in a minute to confirm.

Either way, don't think you'll ever make a West End estate agent. :)
>>
>> Scotch Corner in central London is surely the junction of Brompton and Old Brompton roads

Scotch Corner is the junction of Knightsbridge and Brompton Road, I think it takes its name from the Scotch house which is stategically placed at the West side of the junction.

Pretty horrendous lonh-term road works there at the moment.
Not really my manor. Seldom there these days. But I do remember that expensive jersey shop on a corner on the North side.
Why is that junction called....? - Ed V
Then there's the Robin Hood in Farnham [A31], reputedly Europe's largest [roundabout, not pub although it's not a small pub, which sits in the middle of the roundabout]. There's also the Robin Hood in Newbury [A4/A34].
Sat Nav has a technical-sounding name for most of the A3 junctions through from Wimbledon to New Malden, but I usually refer to them as 'the M&S' or such like, after a local landmark building.
I am suprised that no one mentioned the other motoring site at "Charlie Browns" roundabout;Jacobs-the MG dealer who also modified and raced MG's thro' most of the 20th. century.
Why is that junction called....? - fox83
theres also the met office roundabout in bracknell..... met office no longer being there and the robin hood roundabout in newbury which for the life of me i do not understand why people seem to feel the need to cut everyone up on, it is not a complicated roundabout