Please help me choose a car - Compo
I will be returning to live in the UK next month after 5 years away, and I need to buy a secondhand (c.3 years old) car quickly. I want a petrol 1.4 or 1.6, to keep insurance down. A Focus would fit the bill, but I have been attracted by the Corolla, and Mazda-3 because of their supposed greater reliability. However, I hired a Corolla about 6 years ago and I remember what an awful gearchange it had. Am I right in thinking Ford gearboxes are the most precise? Is it the same in the Mazda (Ford subsidiary)? I never like hunting for gears.

I have also wondered about the Ceed - I know secondhand models are only 2007, but I am attracted by the long warranty. I would welcome readers opinions on these various cars, as I want to be able to make my mind up quickly - and not waste time on too many test drives etc.
Thanks,
Paul
Please help me choose a car - tyro
I suspect, for what it's worth, that the four cars you have mentioned are probably the best bets and of the four a Focus might be as good a bet as anything, because

a) the difference in reliability between Focuses (or Foci) and the others is not actually that great, and

b) because the Mazda and the Toyota hold their value better, you will get a Focus which is newer / in better condition for the same money, which means you might even get one which is as reliable. (i.e. a 2005 Mazda or Corolla would probably be more reliable than a 2005 Ford, but a 2006 Ford would probably be more reliable than a Mazda / Corolla a year older.)

The new Focus came out in late 2004 - hence if you get one first registered in 2006 or 2007 you should avoid any of the bugs that tend to afflict cars for the first year or so after a new model is introduced.
Please help me choose a car - retgwte
Ive got one of the last Corollas

Its an automatic

Its a great car

Lots better than the focus

Cannot comment on gearchange as Ive only driven auto Corollas but theyve all been great

How much you wanting to spend? May even do you a deal, ha ha

Please help me choose a car - tintin01
Give the BR guys an idea of budget and they will give you a whole list of cars to consider. How many miles a year will you be doing?
Please help me choose a car - Compo
Budget is about GBP 9000. I was looking for a general purpose hatchback for me, the wife and daughter in her twenties, and maybe for my son to learn on. Since we are coming back from so long abroad none of us have any no claims history, so low insurance cost was important. I will still be travelling a lot, so I wanted a reliable and safe car, which we can run with the minimum of hassle.

I was surprised at the high cost of secondhand cars - asking prices for 3 year old Foci and Corollas in my local franchised dealers seem about 8-9000. I presume I could haggle 500 off this price. Yet for 9295, I can get a new Ceed (1.4 SR), which looks like it would fulfil my needs. What do you all think?

My subsidiary point was that I have had various larger Fords in the past, and always found them a pleasure to drive, partly because of the slick gearchange. When I hired a Corolla some years back(2003 - most recent model), the gearchange reminded me of the Austin 1100 which I learnt to drive on back in the 70's, and twice failed my test in. It was pot luck which gear I got at any time. Are all Corollas like that?
Please help me choose a car - Robert J.
8 to 9K seems a little high for a 3 year old focus to me. Have a look at motorpoint (or any of the supermarkets for that matter), they have 07 plate 1.6 focus for £7300.
Please help me choose a car - maz64
Have a look at motorpoint (or any of the supermarkets for that matter)

Tradesales (Slough) - 57 plate 1.6 Focus from £8.3k, £8.5k with air con
Please help me choose a car - Pendlebury
SWMBO has a 4 year old Corolla 1.4 and the gearchange is good - not excellent but good. I drove a Polo the other day and it is far better than that (although different class of car). If a good gearchange is what your after then look at a Civic IMO. Nobody makes better manual boxes than Honda.

Edited by Pendlebury on 24/06/2008 at 16:32

Please help me choose a car - nortones2
I have the 2003 Civic, Type S. The 5 speed gearbox is not brilliant, especially when cold, even after attempted rectification under warranty. Individual variation no doubt. Haven't driven the latest Civic: that might be better. But its bottom of the pile for reliability in its sector, according to Which.
Please help me choose a car - retgwte
i think with zero no claims a focus/corolla will be silly money to insure

if it was me id just go buy a new fiat panda diesel for 6300 new, then its only group 2 insurance, 35 quid road tax, and miles for not much fuel

especially if young driver on policy, and/or depending where you live, will it be garaged or not etc

use the money you save to hire a bigger car for the odd week or weekend you need it

also if youve been out of the country for a while be careful cos road tax is now tied to emissions of car, and some cars in this category are due a steep rise in road tax soon (if labour can cling on to power)