952.016vECOTEC-camshaft cover gasket replacement - peter973
I think my Camshaft Cover Gasket is leaking.

My Haynes manual describes removing the camshaft cover in the section on replacing the Timing Belts.
It says you need to remove the spark plug cover, then unscrew the 20 securing bolts to remove the camshaft cover.

The camshaft cover seems to slot slightly under the timing belt cover.

Can I remove the Camshaft Cover without removing the Timing Belt Cover ??

{edit in an attempt to fit more words in the header, and to correct typo (ecotec doesn't have a 'h' in it) }

Edited by Pugugly on 16/01/2009 at 18:24

1995 2.0 16V Ecotech - Camshaft Cover Gasket repla - topbloke
yes you can but run the risk of knocking the gasket out when refitting it so its best to if you can loosen the cover
1995 2.0 16V Ecotech - Camshaft Cover Gasket repla - zookeeper
i thought i had a similar prob on my ecotech engine, looked closer and found it was the breather pipe ..it had a small split on its underside and was spraying a fine oil mist on the cam cover and it too looked like the gasket had failed, double check
1995 2.0 16V Ecotech - Camshaft Cover Gasket repla - peter973
i thought i had a similar prob on my ecotech engine looked closer and found
it was the breather pipe ..it had a small split on its underside and was
spraying a fine oil mist on the cam cover and it too looked like the
gasket had failed double check

Interesting. I have just bought the car at auction.

Found the bottom 1/2 of engine all round on front (from what I can see), not just in one area, is covered in new or old oil.
Cannot see an oil leak that would explain this

Top part of engine is clean, so don't think it can be an oil mist leak.

Had the car a month, checked oil level & it isn't losing that much oil.

When I bought car, oil level was very low, not readable on dipstick.
Maybe previous owner had been driving car for a while with this oil leak, which I think could be camshaft cover gasket.

Edited by peter973 on 22/06/2008 at 19:30

yes you can but run the risk of knocking the gasket out when refitting it
so its best to if you can loosen the cover

Can I remove the timing belt cover without touching anything else in that area ??

Looks very tight in that area & think there are also alternator & power steering belts in front of timing cover.
just remove the top bolt and pull back, no need to get that carried away taking belts etc
I changed the Camshaft Cover Gasket.

I found oil had leaked into a channel around the spark plugs, underneath the camshaft cover !!

First I took off the Spark Plug Cover (camshaft cover still on), then as I pulled out 1st spark plug lead, oil immediately filled the spark plug lead hole, covering the spark plug !!!!!

I thought what the pink fluffy dice!!
For a minute I thought what's going on here, where has this oil come from, as the camshaft cover was still on.

Used a battery acid tester to suck this oil out, then pushed kitchen towel into the hole around spark plug to clean out remainder of oil.

The same thing happened for the other spark plugs, as I pulled spark plug lead out, oil filled the hole & covered the spark plug.

I still wasn't sure what was going on, as you cannot see the channel underneath the camshaft cover that surrounds the spark plugs.

I thought blimey, I've been using the car for the last 6 months like this, it's run pretty good, although with an intermittent idling problem, but still with oil surrounding the spark plugs & leads !!

Admittedly when I pulled out spark plug leads, the end that fits over the spark plug has a number of thick ribs of rubber, this possibly stopped oil getting right down into the hole & actually reaching spark plug top itself.

So I had cleaned out the oil from all the sark plug holes.
Removed 2 rubber pipes at back left corner & 1 thick rubber pipe at front right corner (seems to go down to bottom of engine).

Undid the 10 bolts holding camshaft cover.
Had to prise off the camshaft cover as it didn't just pull off, but came off without trouble, nothing else in the way stopping it coming off.

The oil seal goes around the the base of the camshaft cover, around the outer edge, then turns inwards going around a central channel around the spark plugs.

I found the old oil seal was rock hard, flat as a pancake & very brittle.
As I pulled out the old seal it just snapped in places.

There are also rubber O-rings around each of the 10 bolt holes.
Again those O-rings were rock hard, flat as a pancake & very brittle.
Some of the old bolt O-rings came out easily, but most I had to break with sharp screwdriver (they were very brittle) & prise out.

Pushed the new oil seal into the camshaft cover & fitted the O-rings around the bolt holes.
Fitted the camshaft cover back on.

See picture links below.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 24/10/2008 at 19:03

Here are some pictures:

Spark plug cover removed
i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp303/93728/xDSCF8456....g

Spark plug leads removed
i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp303/93728/xDSCF8460....g

Camshaft cover removed
i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp303/93728/xDSCF8462....g

Camshafts
i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp303/93728/xDSCF8467....g

Camshafts & camshaft cover
i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp303/93728/xDSCF8469....g

Camshafts
i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp303/93728/xDSCF8472....g

Camshaft belt & cogs
i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp303/93728/xDSCF8476....g

Camshaft cover base
- Oil seal (U shape) fits into groove around the edge & around spark plug holes
- Bolt O-rings fit around 10 bolt holes
i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp303/93728/xDSCF8481....g

Edited by peter973 on 24/10/2008 at 18:11

1995 2.0 16V Ecotech - Camshaft Cover Gasket repla - Victorbox
Nice work. Glad I've only got a Cav 8v valve cover gasket to replace!!!
well done, have you cleaned the breathers out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. not wishing to be a scaremonger but the picture of the cam sprockets and belt seems quite a lot of slack on the belt (between the sprockets) maybe just the way the picture was taken

Edited by topbloke on 24/10/2008 at 19:30

well done have you cleaned the breathers out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. not wishing to be a scaremonger
but the picture of the cam sprockets and belt seems quite a lot of slack
on the belt (between the sprockets) maybe just the way the picture was taken

>>
1)No, I didn't clean any breathers out.
Which tubes are you talking about, the 2 in top left corner or bigger one which goes into a little box type unit (what is this ??) bottom right corner ??

Do they need doing ??

2) Cam Belt: Do you mean this picture, I can't see any slack, where do you mean ??

Edited by peter973 on 24/10/2008 at 20:42

Do they need doing ??

oh yes the little one is the main one the other one go's to the inlet side of the throttle body and would be difficult to block up
2) Cam Belt: Do you mean this picture I can't see any slack where do
you mean ??

the bit between the sprockets it should be straight yours looks curved indicating slack may just be the picture angle
oh yes the little one is the main one the other one go's to
the inlet side of the throttle body and would be difficult to block up
>> 2) Cam Belt: Do you mean this picture I can't see any slack where
do
>> you mean ??
the bit between the sprockets it should be straight yours looks curved indicating slack may
just be the picture angle

I will check the small breather tube top left corner & cam belt if I take cover off.

1) Do you know if you are meant to use Sealing compound anywhere when replacing Camshaft Cover Gasket ??
My Haynes manual didn't mention this.
I have seen this thread which says to use Sealing Compound somewhere (can't work out where ??), but maybe that is only for 2.2 engine:
www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1152565472/0

2) What is the Box Unit & tube from bottom right corner of camshaft cover ??

Edited by peter973 on 26/10/2008 at 11:17

the box is a mod from vauxhall its just a breather box there was a 90 degree rubber elbow before, the pipe should be okay its the throttle body end that you want to sort the pipe blocks as it enters the manifold its a very small hole do not be tempted to drill a larger hole
This picture shows the position & shape of the groove (in camshaft cover) & thin rubber seal
(the 2 small dotted lines are thicker spacer bars that are part of rubber moulding that just hold it all together):
i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp303/93728/xDSCF8481a...g

This picture shows the central channel around the spark plug holes which became filled with oil.
This channel is covered by the camshaft cover & is not visible with it on.
The oil seal goes around this central channel:
i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp303/93728/xDSCF8472....g

This picture shows the base of the camshaft cover which also covers this channel:
i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp303/93728/xDSCF8481....g
Does anyone know where you are meant to use the Sealing Compound when replacing the camshaft cover gasket ??
(see post above which shows pictures of camshaft cover & engine)

My Haynes manual didn't mention this.

I saw this thread which says to use Sealing Compound somewhere, I can't work out where !!
www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1152565472/0

I didn't use any Sealing Compound.

I checked with a Vauxhall main dealers & they said Sealing Compound is listed with the Camshaft Cover Gasket part, so it looks like I should have used it somewhere.

Does anyone know EXACTLY where the Sealing Compund should be used, as I can't work out where ??
1995 2.0 16V Ecotech - Camshaft Cover Gasket repla - Victorbox
Discussion about the sealing compound and position to use it here www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/archive/index.php/...l