2.0d - any good, and a few questions? - DP
Any experiences with the 2.0d V50 to share? My in-laws have been car hunting and looking for a reasonable sized estate. They've found one of these in a local Volvo dealer, and they both like it a lot.

They do piffling mileage, and really should be going petrol, but my father-in-law has always driven diesels, will always drive diesels, and really there's no point even going there. We've done the discussion to death, and a diesel it will be.

AFAIK, this is the same PSA/Ford engine as used in the new Mondeo / S-Max / Focus, and the Pug 307/407. Is that correct? I know a few people with high mileage examples of these engines (in different cars) that have had no issues at all, so if it is the same engine, I'm happy.

I am very concerned about the DPF on the Euro IV models - they do a lot of short journeys. Is this the type that needs a regular blast to clear it out, or is it the fluid based system? If there's any worries on this, we'll try and find a Euro III model.

Anything else to look out for?

Cheers
DP

2.0d - any good, and a few questions? - Paul I
Good car which has Ford Mechanicals and as you say has DPF at Euro 4 and therefore I would avoid on that basis. I've seen some 3 year old models which have done 80K and they look like new indside and out (of course down to the previous owner) the mechanicals are tried and tested, but like all cars they're struggling to meet Euro 4.

All these different ways of dealing with exhaust gases is because the engines are older designs and would never give the lower readings on their own.
2.0d - any good, and a few questions? - dodo
Well I have now travelled 6500 miles in my V50 2.0D (SE Lux) 2008 model. It replaced a much loved C-Max 2.0 TDci, a car that shares much with the V50. Its a great car and apart from slightly wooden steering I am delighted with it. It has plenty of power and is gradually becoming more economical (37/8 mpg when new to around 46 mpg now). Its not a huge estate and the boot is fairly narrow but quite long. The car is beautfully built and thoughtfully designed with lots of wee things that I am still discovering (like the passenger seat back that folds down flat). It looks well in Barents Blue - and its not a BMW! I have owned Audi, BMW and VW estates before this and its up there with the best of them. PS nothing has gone wrong either.
2.0d - any good, and a few questions? - Avant
Are they looking at a new or used one, DP?

If used, I'd imagine that the older it is, the less likely to have a DPF - which from what i read they should avoid if their mileage is mainly around town.

I tried a V50 2.0 D last year. It was about £2,500 more than a Golf 2.0 TDI estate and didn't seem to offer much if anything more. You can certainly have the Golf without the DPF - I have one and I'm still very happy after 10 months and 18,000 miles.
2.0d - any good, and a few questions? - ex-Triumph man
Yes I rather like my 08MY V50 2.0D SE Lux. It replaced an 03 reg XC70. Less room inside obviously and to date has only done just under 6000 miles.
Got all the toys on it though, Sat-nav, active bi-zenons, BLIS, family pack with height adjustable rear seats, dog guard, rear parking sensors.
Fuel consumption, strangely enough not quite as good as my wife's S60 D5 SE. The V50 gets circa 48-50 locally and the S60 rarely below 50.
Any probs? The front nearside roof rail finisher flew off within the first few days (dealer said mine was not the first!), but apart from that, perfect. Tell the in-laws to try a V50, certainly rarer than a Focus.
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like its as good as it looks then. Very good information to have, thank you! Yes, it will be a used example - budget is about £13k which seems to be enough to secure a nice 2 yr old Sport with about 30k from a main dealer - or with a few less miles privately.

He has been a staunch Golf man for the past 25 years (2 mk1's, 1 mk2, 2 mk3's, 2 mk4's), but he doesn't like the interior of the mk5, and reckons he knows of three people who've had HGF on the 2.0 TDI engine. This has also ruled out the Octavia 2.0 TDI estate which I suggested, but he dismissed.

The plan I think is to sell one of their mkIV Golfs privately (derisory PX offer), and then go back with cash after giving it some more thought.

Thanks again, all.

DP
2.0d - any good, and a few questions? - pkgiblin
I have had a 55 plate V50 2.0D for the last year. Fortrunately it's going back to the lease company in August.

I got hold of it via work, thinking it might make a nice replacement car for my wife. It had a year to run on the lease, so in effect I would get a 12 month test drive.

Had 42K on it when I statred with it last August, currently showing 75K.

Good Points
Quite a stylish car
Heating sytem is good
Build quality feels good.
Plenty of torque/power in 4th gear..pushes you back in the seat.

Bad Points,
Stereo/CD not as good as Fords.
Lack of storage space - side pockets etc.
Noisy Diesel
Heavy on fuel if pushed. 75mph returns 44mpg. 80+ 37 mpg
Very unreliable at starting.

I thought this had the same diesel as the ford but I do not think it is. Sounds a bit like a taxi when ticking over.

Biggest problem with the car (mine anyway)is unreliable starting. Mine has been in the Volvo garage (excluding servicing) for approx 4 weeks in the last year. Same problem all along i.e refuses to start.

Been towed twice by the RAC due to this fault. It has been looked at but they can't seem to bottom it. It has had a fuel valve replacement, new injectors, a new main fuel pump (£800!) and it still breaks down.

RAC say they think the fault is with the low pressure fuel pump in the fuel tank. Anyway it is currently in the Volvo deadler being assessed.

Hopefully they will fix it.

So overall, I have been disappointed with this car. It maybe that I just happen to have a duff one. However we have three on our dept and all have their own repeating faults. One of them has a constantrly failing air con, and the other keeps breaking down due to an electrical management problem. Incidentally my V50 when it was with the preivious driver broke down in the first week with engine management fault.

So not a positive experioence, however I had a 740 estate for nine years and that never even stuttered.

Having googled the model, it would seem that it is the 2.0D engine that is the problem rather than the car in general.

Main issues are
Aircon
Engine Management
Starting.

Summary,
Good looking car, but flatters to decieve...2.0D anyway.

Consequently just ordered a New 2.0D Ghia Mondeo.

2.0d - any good, and a few questions? - pd
Would agree to a degree with the last poster. The S40/V50 is a fine car but the 2.0d is not a great engine. It is used in SOME Ford models and also many PSA models. It is not very impressive IMO in those either.

Apart from having a few problems (although no more than the 2.0 VAG unit) it falls at the first hurdle by not being very economical.

In in fact uses more fuel than the older Volvo D5 engine. Even more telling, at a 80mph ish cruise the T5 220bhp version of the same car does about 36-37mpg and the 2.0d diesel not a lot more.

Anyone switching from a 1.9 PD VAG diesel engine will probably find most of the current crop of 2.0 diesels inferior apart from refinement.
2.0d - any good, and a few questions? - Jase
In in fact uses more fuel than the older Volvo D5 engine. Even more telling
at a 80mph ish cruise the T5 220bhp version of the same car does about
36-37mpg and the 2.0d diesel not a lot more.

Rubbish. My C-Max with that engine is doing >=45mpg at that pace and 50mpg if I slow down to 70mph.
Anyone switching from a 1.9 PD VAG diesel engine will probably find most of the
current crop of 2.0 diesels inferior apart from refinement.

Agree with this section of your post.
Anyone switching from a 1.9 PD VAG diesel engine will probably find most of the
current crop of 2.0 diesels inferior apart from refinement.

Including VAG's own 2.0 CR replacement. I recently saw a test with a new Passat and Audi A4 fitted with the old 2.0 PD and new 2.0 CR engines respectively. Despite similar horsepower and vehicle weights, the Passat was measurably gutsier than the A4 in every performance yardstick, and was 5 mpg better on fuel too. But the test did comment on how agricultural the old engine sounded compared to the new one.

Cheers
DP
Your C-Max might be doing 45mpg, but lots of people with V50 2.0'd's are getting a lot less as a search through this forum will reveal. It also struggles to 40mpg in the Pug 407.

Of course, the Volvo and Pug may well be a fair bit heavier than a C-Max (although I can't think there is much in it).
2.0d - any good, and a few questions? - Jase
Ford issued lots of software patches along the way for this engine, one of which was to sort poor mpg. Also, mines mated to a 6speed box, so 1800rpm @70mph, which might help, but mine's definitely good on a run and smooth for a diesel. Much smoother than VAGs (recently replaced) 2.0TDi unit.

Note - it's not very good around town. MId 30s ish.

For Information

Picked up a new Mondeo 2.0D Zetec today on rental. Never driven one before, great car, HUGE..however despite it's size I have done 200 miles in Northern Ireland. Mixed driving, Motorway, urban, country roads and it;s returned 50.7 MPG!

Never had anything like that out of the V50 2.0D..best was 47 on a long motorway run.

Makes the V50 look like an also ran...I can feel it blushing as it languishes in the Volvo dealership.

V50 Update, it's now had a new fuel filter fitted. So in addition to the new Injectors, ECG Valve? and main fuel pump it may now become reliable...i'll keep you posted

2.0d - any good, and a few questions? - George Macedonia

that engine is used in ALL ford models for eu market,ALL jaguar x-types,all Mazdas and all Pug's and Citroens and of course all Volvos,it was developed by Ford and PSA 1.4 lt,1.6 lt and 2.0 lt,PSA provided the block and Ford provided the head unit,its a nice engine goes as hell in my s40 dont know why is all the fuss,its done 280k on mine i got it it with 140 or something 4 years ago and i was really expecting to blow up after the 3rd year but no,its still going strong doesnt burn oil or anything just goes.....

2.0d - any good, and a few questions? - George Macedonia

NO low pressure fuel pump on those cars fuel line goes straight into the fuel filter and straight into the HD pump from there ao if the computer aint showing any faults its down to a faulty fuel line its drowing air from somewhere and when the car is not running it lets go of the fuel and lets it back into yhe tank so non starting in the mornings will be down to that taking fuel up to the hd pump easily checked though,there is a clear line from the filter to the hd pump and the fuel flow is clearly visible if you can see stationary fuel at the down curve of the pipe and air infront and back of it voila there is your problem

2.0d - any good, and a few questions? - gmac
I am very concerned about the DPF on the Euro IV models - they do
a lot of short journeys. Is this the type that needs a regular blast to
clear it out or is it the fluid based system? If there's any worries on
this we'll try and find a Euro III model.

I believe it is a fluid based system on Euro 4 cars and the 72k mile service is expensive I seem to recall from the VOC website. One guy was presented a bill for GBP1200 for new DPF and fluid refill. If your FiL must have a diesel I would recommend the D5 - don't think this was available as a Euro 3 on the V50 though.
Thanks all for the very helpful information.

We've been back and had a look, and I have to say it is a *very* pretty car. A 2.0d SE Sport with 18" alloys, in silver with black leather, the optional sunroof and premium audio system. Some minor marks, but nothing offensive. Ex Lombard lease car. Full Volvo SH and sold with full Volvo Approved backing. I can see why they are taken with it. Unfortunately it is a Euro IV model. I explained the implications of this in detail to my F-i-L who understood it, and still decided he was interested.

So, decision made that it was what he wanted, we had a bit more of a haggle, and improved their initial deal enough to make them put a deposit down, subject to a test drive tomorrow. The car's up for £14995. Settled on £10750 plus the in-law's 100,000 mile, seven year old Golf GT TDI 115 (a German import and a little tatty in all honesty). They're also throwing in a year's parts and labour warranty (against 6 months standard), six months RFL, and will do the upcoming 36,000 mile service free of charge. They're also throwing in 10% off servicing, and 25% off parts for the duration of ownership.

Gmac - the dealer confirmed that the DPF service stuff all hits at 72k, but they quoted us £750 for the complete service, and are happy to put that in writing and honour it when the time comes. That said, I reckon we'll be using the Euro by the time they get that car to 72k with the mileage they do. As I said, it doesn't make sense, but they were adamant it had to be a diesel, and they fell in love with this car. It's their money, I guess.

We're going to go and drive it on Saturday - if they're happy, it's a done deal.
Thanks for all the valuable input.

Cheers
DP
2.0d - any good, and a few questions? - daveyjp
For peace of mind I would read the manual about the DPF before committing. I don't know how the Volvo system works but with little use the £750 bill may come far sooner than 72,000 miles.
2.0d - any good, and a few questions? - Nickdm
I'll be curious to see how they find the ride on those 18" alloys with sports suspension..!

This was my biggest gripe on my V50 D5 which I sold a couple of months ago, and mine had 17 inch wheels! How are the road surfaces round where they live?!

Otherwise my V50 was fautless in 18 months and 38000km of ownership from new. Average mpg in the low/mid 40s too.
2.0d - any good, and a few questions? - Roly93
Not a bad car but basically an expensive Focus Estate, for nearly the price on some quality and larger estate cars. I looked at them briefly when I was buying my A4 Avant.
Just been and driven it. A nice car, completely ruined by a dreadful ride (as you suspected nick). It has no finesse at all - thumping and crashing over poor surfaces, and lots of road noise. Taut in the bends, but hopeless everywhere else.

Engine was very noisy at tickover, and flat at the bottom end compared to the VW PD, but gutsy and smooth on the move. Nice interior too. They couldn't live with the ride though. They've asked to drive a non sport model on more sensible wheels for comparison.

Thanks for the advice.
Have they thought of trying a Focus estate, or even a C-Max? The oily bits are much the same I think. They could get a newer one for similar money, and there is presumably more choice of wheel sizes.
Avant - a sore point!! :-)

F-i-L hates Fords based on a bad experience with a mkIV Cortina back in 1982! Yes, I know the V50 is a Focus under the skin, and so does he, but his mind cannot be changed. I've been trying for years! I stopped getting raised blood pressure about it years ago, and gave up!:-)

The dealer has found another car in the same colour and same spec but without the sports suspension, and running on smaller 17" alloys. It's done a few more miles, but is £2k cheaper. They're organising getting that over for the in-laws to drive. Dealer has been first class, I have to say. Bending over backwards. We effectively had the car unaccompanied for over 2 hours this morning, and are very understanding about the comments on the ride.

They were very taken with the car as a whole. Thought it was very comfy and drove very well. They just hated the ride quality, and frankly I completely agree. On a par with a hot version of the new Seat Leon and just completely unyielding and tiring.

They only had two other gripes - no clutch foot-rest, and the engine's lack of pull under 2k. This renders 6th as an overdrive gear only unless you're speeding. Pulling out to overtake on the motorway at, say 60 mph requires a downchange to 5th. The VW engine will haul from 50 mph in top without complaining. Once on boost though, that Pug/Ford engine is an absolute peach. Smooth, quiet, and very free revving for a diesel. Sounds a bit ropey on idle though.

It made me chuckle how my F-i-L kept "over steering" it into corners. Compared to the Golf it's a fabulous handling car, and turns in so much more keenly. I had a little punt over some of the lanes at about eight tenths and it was a delight. Until the road turned bumpy.

We'll see how this other example drives. I suspect if the ride is noticeably better, they'll go for it.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 28/06/2008 at 20:29

We're beginning to build up a picture of your FiL, DP! :) A conservative type, knows what he likes and sticks with it, probably never lets anyone down himself and doesn't want to be let down.

SWMBO would sympathise - she will never have another Fiat although the bad experience in question was in 1981....

Good luck to them. A V50 is a perfectly good car in my view: although I didn't think it worth the cost new, it should be a good deal for them a couple of years old.
DP,

Even on 17's the ride can still be a bit on the firm side with 225/40 or 45 tyres.
Don't let that put them off though just ask the dealer to swap them for a set of 16's. Shouldn't be a problem as by the sounds of it the dealership want to do a deal.
Heh, yeah. That's a pretty good summary of him. To be quite honest, I'm still gobsmacked that he's looking outside of VAG. I never thought I'd see it!

Good point on the wheel swap. Might be worth going down that route if the ride is still an issue.

Quick question - does anyone know what the cambelt change interval is on this engine? I have a Ford service checksheet generator, and looking up the 2.0 TDCi C-MAX it says 10 yrs or 150,000 miles. Can't be right....can it??

Thanks very much for all your helpful comments and advice.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 28/06/2008 at 21:55

2.0d - any good, and a few questions? - Nickdm
Agree with gmac - I don't think they'll have a magic carpet ride on the 17-inchers either. I didn't. Then again the Sports suspension on the Sport model is probably half the problem?

My previous S60 - on 16-inchers - gave a much better ride.

Dealer should be able to locate dozens of V50 SEs with the 2-litre diesel - it must be the most popular trim/engine combination.
I think Volvo say 96000 for the cambelt on the 2.0d even of others with the same engine state a different mileage.

There are loads of 2.0d SE models around - that and the 2.0d S are the most common types by far.
Thanks all! Just keeping an eye out for a suitable car now. Would like to deal with this dealer if at all possible, as they've been brilliant.

Cheers
DP
Just to give you an update on m my faulty V50 (see above).

Got the car back last week after a new filter assembly had been fitted. Ran fine for three days then on Monday would not start. So another tow by the RAC back to Volvo. (third in four weeks).

Lease company and Volvo technical are now involved. The latest thoughts are that the Fuel Tank is in some way forming a vacuum which is sucking the fuel back into the tank. The tank has been removed and the breather pipes checked. It is currently waiting for another part to do with the tank.

I may get it back on Monday.

On a positive note, I asked the lease company if they had many problem,s with the V50's and they said they didn't. In their opinion they were fairly reliable.

Had a 1.9D Vectra this week and it has returned 50mpg over 550 miles. Which is much better than the Volvo's 44mpg.

I'll let you know if this time the repair ius successful.
They've finally gone for one, and put a deposit on a V50.

Found an absolutely mint 60,000 mile 2.0d SE at a long established and well regarded Volvo specialist indie. In silver, with heated leather and the all important sunroof, full Volvo history, 2yr warranty and with the more sensible 16" wheels and standard suspension.

The ride is in a different league - supple and quiet, yet it still handles beautifully. Why anyone goes for the sport pack is beyond me.

They pick it up next Saturday.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 03/08/2008 at 20:32

2.0d - any good, and a few questions? - Diapason
Hope you have a better experience with your V50 than I have had with mine, a 2006 2.0SE!
I bought the car mainly because of Volvo's alleged reliability record, however, of all the number of cars I have owned in the last 40 years, this one is getting very close to being the most unreliable! I purchased it at 9 month's old with less than 9K on the clock. Since then it has had warranty work carried out on 5 occasions, - a fault with the Volvo 'On Call' function, faulty wiring affecting electric windows & central locking, total engine failure, faulty brake vacuum & now a faulty abs unit. This latest problem awaits a replacement unit which has to be ordered from Sweden. In the meantime I am again without a car & due to go away on holiday in 4 days!
Fuel consumption I consider to be poor. I have run diesel cars for many years & have always managed to achieve at least 45mpg, my previous car was a series 3 BMW 2.0L touring & I regularly got over 50mpg. Front tyre wear is heavy, I consider myself a careful driver but I only managed to get 12K out of the front .
Stowage space for small items is lacking & the handbrake position is clearly designed for a LH drive version.
Good points.- Good build quality, comfortable seats, good looker, very comfortable to drive. However my experiece of this model would not allow me to recommend it to any potential buyer, this one will be my one & only Volvo!
Fuel consumption I consider to be poor. I have run diesel cars for many years
& have always managed to achieve at least 45mpg my previous car was a series
3 BMW 2.0L touring & I regularly got over 50mpg.

Were any of your previous diesels Euro4 ?
The EU are putting tighter and tighter restrictions on engines for which the manufacturers are using filters which in turn are leading to increased fuel consumption.
Compare any engine in production now which has been EU4'd when previously EU3 and you will see an increase in CO2.
The EU appears to believe if cars burn more fuel they produce fewer emissions !?
I think the emphasis should be on reducing the amount that goes in before the burn not cleaning up afterwards.
I remember Ford (and probably others) were experimenting with "lean burn" petrol engines just before the advent of catalysts. These gave staggering economy figures (and I suspect emissions, although they weren't published then) using old tech engines running carbs (CVH and Pinto).

I sometimes wonder what might have been if development had followed this route with engine design and fuel injection systems optimised to suit? Catalysts have always struck me as a very inelegant solution, given that they reduce engine efficiency to start with, and even more so as they age/wear, and clean up afterwards rather than the engine running efficiently to start with.

When cat and non-cat cars were running side by side in model lineups, the cat cars were always slower and thirstier.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 06/08/2008 at 23:02

2.0d - any good, and a few questions? - Paddler Ed
I ran V50 2.0D manuals in both SE and Sport Spec from when they were launched until December 2006. I think in that time I had 4 or 5 different cars, running them until they reached 12k. Even with the earliest ones (which had the gearbox in such a way it was easy to accidently engage reverse) were reliable cars; I abused them for the 12-15K that I had them, regularily towing canoe trailers whilst having boats on the roof, or driving to the Lake District with 2 16ft canoes on the roof...

The Sport handling was awesome, but was very sensitive to tyre pressures.
The SE was dull in comparison... please let me have a sport again...

Things to make sure of: The Handbrake is a bit sketchy; it's been recently redesigned... I found that with it on 2 or 3 clicks it would roll back on a gradual hill start with the trailer on...

Fuel economy... my 7 year old V70 runs for about the same pence per mile as the V50 did!!
2.0d - any good, and a few questions? - Cardiomike
Just to add -now i've had it 18months /24k

No faults and use on hebridean island

Best handling of any car tried on our peat based tarmacaddam roads.
Best with pirelli p7 but a bit harsher ride than the goodyear excellence -which leave you slighlty feeling on jelly after the pireellis- both sound tyres though.

post amended - No need to SHOUT!

Edited by Webmaster on 15/11/2009 at 18:54