Electric scooter - tack
anyone seen this advertised? I wonder if people will buy it in droves (like a bread maker, ice cream maker, chocolate fountain, toastie maker) then find that it is more bother than it is worth for such a low return, mileage wise, after an 8hr charge.

I also guess that the "up to 40 miles on a single charge" depends whether, like me, you are carrying a bit of timber round the waistline, or are a pencil necked 28" waist concave chest spindly legs type!

"Firebox has launched a fully road legal, electric scooter for less than a £1000.

The Chinese-made Ego Street Scoota will let you zip around the city using bus lanes, avoiding congestion charges and cutting out queues, all without buying petrol or paying for road tax.

Powered by an onboard battery that's recharged via the mains, it boasts a range of up to 40 miles with a top speed of 30mph and it the claim is that it only costs 8 pence to charge (8 hours needed for a full juice up) and of course, is super eco-friendly.

If you passed your driving test prior to February 2001, you do not need a license to ride the Street Scoota, otherwise you'll need to take the Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) course.

The bike measures 189 x 73 x 100cm, weighs 104 kilograms, comes complete with a back box and is on sale now from Firebox for £999.95."

Electric scooter - welshlad
got to say i laughed hard when i read this on their website

'The heart of the eGO is a tough DC motor designed specifically for the eGO Cycle. It's powerful enough to pull big people up long hills without overheating.

Again, please do not try this with your eGO unless absolutely necessary.'

surely 'dont use this bike if you want to go anywhere' would have sufficed
Electric scooter - Waino
IMHO, if these things are well enough made, then they ought to catch on. I sense that we are only at the start of the fuel price escalation and more radical approaches to transport are needed.

We met a couple at a party a little while ago who had bought electric bikes to suppliment their motor-home - and they were extremely pleased with them.
Electric scooter - FotheringtonThomas
Hm. I think I'd rather have an electric bicycle, which won't go as far, or as fast, but:

Is half the price.
Has no licence considerations or restrictions, and can be taken to the pub.
Is less than half the weight, and smaller, so more easily used & kept.
Looks like a bicycle, not a motorbike, so expectations of performance by other road users won't be (dangerously?) misplaced.
Electric scooter - tack
Although it says the scooter has a top speed of 30mph, I did look at a video on youtube where the rider struggled to get over 20mph, so again, if you are carrying some extra weight around the middle regions, 30mph AND 40mpg is probably a fantasy. I agree re the electric cycle.....a much better and cheaper option. I believe that you can go at a fair lick on them.

However, I have no doubt that people will buy the eGo, end up disappointed, and store it in the garage wih the unused bread & ice cream makers.
Electric scooter - L'escargot
Could be handy if your petrol station has run out of fuel.

Edited by L'escargot on 20/06/2008 at 10:40

Electric scooter - Amit Parmer

Electric bikes may be the best answer to the growing fossil fuel problem. Without doubt, a motorized vehicle that doesn’t burn petrol may be considered the most “green” transportation available today. Highly efficient electric bicycles offer you a choice of completely motor-driven, completely self-propelled (pedaled), or a combination of the two – motor-assisted pedaling. You might even consider the benefits to your health, should you choose to pedal the bike some of the time.

(First two words were a link which I've disabled. Spam likely, but as it's sparked some replies I'll leave it up.)

Edited by Avant on 24/05/2019 at 18:17

Electric scooter - nellyjak

Last year I bought two electric bikes, for me and my wife....great deal at £800 the pair.

We chose folding bikes with 20" wheels as we can easily fold them and put them in the back of our MPV should we want to go further afield (we did the the Monsal Trail in Derbyshire last year).

I can only say what an absolute joy they are to have and to ride..they have made cycling fun again (I'm getting on a bit now and need all the assistance I can get..lol)...no more worries about hills...just switch on the leccy (you still have to pedal but the assistance is brilliant..very little effort required).

Great way to get exercise too and you can choose whatever assistance level you want (5 levels)

I wouldn't be without them now....anyone considering one should go for it...I promise you will not be disappointed.

Electric scooter - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

Details please! £1000 + each in the shops around here in Chesterfield. I know the Monsal Trail well, it's pretty flat though.

Electric scooter - nellyjak

I got ours from Parkers of Bolton...they were doing a special deal at the time..though tbh I think they are doing special deals ALL the time..lol...but definitely worth a look.

Ours are the Viking Hiko model....6 speed gears....5 levels of assist...and depending on how much you use the assist, the range is around 15-25 miles I'd say..we do many locals rides of 15-20 miles and never run out of leccy yet..and does contain a few hills.!

Yes, Monsal trail is mainly flat...but it's still nice to have some assist when you fancy it...and for us it's good to have the folding ability too.

Electric scooter - Ethan Edwards

When I was in Brisbane the place was littered with leccy scooters, just sitting there with a helmet dangling from the bars. Seems all you need to do is download an app. Pay one dollar to hire them and fifteen cents a mile. Scan a qr code then off you go. When the power is low you leave it on the pavement and young lads.. juicers. Come round and swap the scooter. It phones in when the power is low. Sheer genius and I was struck by the honesty shown. Unlike London I suppose. Called something like Lime bikes. Wish we had the same.