Compactest 6-seater out there? - thuldai
Hi there,

We've been wishing to be able to seat 6 people (or more) in our car recently, and while 5 can sit in any car from a VW Polo to a BMW X5 (to different degrees of comfort admittedly, so let's say for short distances) it seems like for 6 or more people one needs to get a full-fledged van.

What are the most 'compact' six-seaters (or more) you know of?

Anything in the style of a Berlingo/Partner/Caddy would be fine but do they ever come with (an) extra seat(s) in the back? I don't think so, but don't know too much about cars.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!
Compactest 6-seater out there? - Whisky
Corolla Verso or Zafira?

Think you would struggle to get an adult in the rear of a Verso though, not sure about Zafira.
Compactest 6-seater out there? - Alby Back
Fiat Multipla
Compactest 6-seater out there? - mlj
Honda FRV fits the bill. Two rows of three, with decent boot space as well.
Compactest 6-seater out there? - stackman
Do Daihatsu still do a mini minibus version of their lightweight commercial vehicle ? That would be pretty compact.

Compactest 6-seater out there? - tyro
mlj is right.

(No surprises there - he is known to be a truly wise man because of his choice of car. ;-) )

Honda FR-V.

Edited by tyro on 19/06/2008 at 12:33

Compactest 6-seater out there? - tom_79
In the same class as the Berlingo, Fiat do a 7-seat version of the Doblo.
Doblo - 4253mm long
FR-V - 4285 mm long

Hmmm. Looks like I was wrong.

:goes to bed in disgrace:
Compactest 6-seater out there? - tom_79
I'm surprised about that myself, I would have guessed the Doblo was a touch longer but somewhat narrower than the FR-V.

I would have thought the FR-V would be a far more civilized prospect assuming size isn't the only priority.

Edited by tom_79 on 20/06/2008 at 01:07

Compactest 6-seater out there? - grumpyscot
Volvo V70 (with the extra seats fitted) can seat 7 if you use the rearmost seats for young people. Also the Land Rover Discovery -- but you wound't say eithe rof these are compact - best option is the Zafira

Edited by grumpyscot on 20/06/2008 at 08:08

Compactest 6-seater out there? - krs one
I would have thought the Multipla was the most compact as this uses 2 rows of 3 seats.
I would have thought the Multipla was the most compact as this uses 2 rows
of 3 seats.

As does the FR-V. But you are right. It's 4090 long, making it shorter than the Doblo or the FR-V.

Funny, one just assumes that the FR-V is shorter.

So I am doubly wrong. Or should that be multiply wrong?

(that's 'multiply' as an adjective, rather than a verb, by the way - where the last syllable is pronounced 'plea'!)

Edited by tyro on 20/06/2008 at 09:45

Compactest 6-seater out there? - Happy Blue!
I have just rented on holiday a Kia Carens. A small seven seater in the mould of the Mazda5, but shorter, cheaper and actually quite pleasant.
Compactest 6-seater out there? - thuldai
Thanks a lot for your advice. I do like the Honda FRV somehow best (purely based on looks) but I'll test them first, of course, and now I even know what to test.

Thanks again!

TD
Compactest 6-seater out there? - Kevin Phillips-Bong!
Got to be the FRV I think
Compactest 6-seater out there? - Brian Tryzers
>...'multiply' as an adjective...

Or rather, as an adverb. };---)

Anyway, the Multipla is shorter but wider than the FRV, which might actually make it work better as a six-seater. In either case, though, if you plan to use the middle front seat, check that you can actually drive the car with someone sitting there; we looked at the FRV before we chose a Verso and decided there really isn't enough elbow and shoulder room for three people if one of them has to drive.
Or rather as an adverb. };---)

O dear. How many times can a chap be wrong in such a short thread?

Edited by tyro on 21/06/2008 at 10:04