Oil Filter tool Augmented suffering. Your Car? - oilrag
Its cold, its wet, you`re under the car again looking at the same old oil filter arrangement. You manage to get `The Tool` on and it promptly slips off..
So what`s your history with oil filter removal tools? and which car made you suffer most?

Of course those thin skinned `spin on` cartridges became a problem, while the previous generation just needed a socket.

Spin on filter tools then.

1) Strap type, that took an extension socket bar.. bought late 70`s, disadvantage, needed two hands at the filter often twisted and dropped off.

2) Chain with its own handle. (80s)Most difficult to use with one hand. On wrong way around, crushed filter, slipped on filter...a last resort.

3) Self tightening metal band (90s) never fitted anything.

4) Rubber strap wrench (2002) with own handle. Stretchy, fiddly, moved filter in 1/8 inch increments while stretching 3 inches. ( access angle =3 inches underneath)

5) Sprung one handed Caliper. Waiting to be used. Bought recently in Calais.

Admired category.
Big double handed `Gripper` like a giant mole wrench. worry, access.

Impossible category.
Big socket that fits over end of filter, problem. access.

So what`s your assortment?

NB
The 1.9 D of the Punto car provides a continuing endurance test *flat on the drive*. In the 6th year of DIY, hope for only needing one arm under there now rests with the new `caliper` type at the next oil change.

Edited by oilrag on 18/06/2008 at 09:44

Oil Filter tool Augmented suffering. Your Car? - drivewell
Oilrag

Can't believe you've missed the most common removal system of all!

Big screwdriver and a hammer!. Messy, but it works!

Seriously, I've found that if I'm careful about tightening the filter, (not overtightening it), I can usually get it off by hand, without resorting to tools. Discard this notion, however, if the filter has been fitted by anyone else. It will not come off by hand!

Tools? I have one of the chain type devices, driven by a 1/2" extension and ratchet, and I've found it useful provided you can get access.
Oil Filter tool Augmented suffering. Your Car? - Cymrogwyllt
Big screwdriver and a hammer!. Messy but it works!

sadly, if the filter has been fitted by a gorilla the screwdriver just tears through the filter.

nylon strap and socket has been the most reliable here

Oil Filter tool Augmented suffering. Your Car? - Dog
I used to be a mobile car tuner and I would often do an oil change ... I used to have (1) The chain type (2) the strap, (3) the self tightening metal band (which I've still got) and 2 b quite honest I found this type never failed to loosen the most stubbon of stuck fast oil filters ... I found the chain type the worst of the bunch.
I have, in my time - resorted to the screwdriver, but that just made it worse !
Oil Filter tool Augmented suffering. Your Car? - wemyss
The old trick of using a screwdriver should work. However the problems arising if it didnt are dreadful. Car imobilised and perhaps even needng towing to a garage.
A nylon strap and socket has always worked well for me.
wemyss
Oil Filter tool Augmented suffering. Your Car? - kithmo
The old trick of using a screwdriver should work. However the problems arising if it
didnt are dreadful.

I find tapping the folded rim of the fiilter round, using the screwdriver like a chisel always gets it going if it's tight.
Yeah - good one kith, I've used that b4 now with good results - as a last resort !

~ I find tapping the folded rim of the fiilter round, using the screwdriver like a chisel always gets it going if it's tight.
Oil Filter tool Augmented suffering. Your Car? - dxp55
I seem to have been lucky with my cars - My artheritic wrists mean I can just tighten a filter up enough by hand to seal it and just enough grip to remove it - no tools needed - only first oil change on Toyota Paseo needed many tools but my new found language skills finally loosened it.
Oil Filter tool Augmented suffering. Your Car? - Mapmaker
Or on a well-designed car, with a cartridge filter, a 10mm socket. Old one pulls out, new one drops in. Job done, 3 seconds, shirt cuffs still clean.
Oi ! Mapmaker

This is supposed to be a `Moaning and Suffering` thread
;);)

Edited by oilrag on 18/06/2008 at 10:31

Oil Filter tool Augmented suffering. Your Car? - Group B
Hammer and screwdriver was my method for years and I didnt have a problem, apart from getting covered in oil.

On my current car it is a replacement element type with plastic lid, on top of the engine bay.
Instead of buying the necessary big (32mm? can't remember) socket I thought I would save a few quid and buy a rubber strap wrench.
That only just worked after a lot of messing about with limited access; by the time the rubber strap took the strain I'd run out of room to rotate the thing.

So for future use I've bought the big socket from an online place.

Cold and wet weather? For an oil change I would try and wait until it was dry and not too cold. ;o) .
The only jobs I've done out of necessity in terrible weather were an alternator and an exhaust back box.

Edited by Rich 9-3 on 18/06/2008 at 10:38

Oil Filter tool Augmented suffering. Your Car? - Alby Back
Ok I'll go for the wimp award on this one. Drop car off at local indy garage about 8.00 AM. Bloke conducts witchcraft. Pick car up about lunchtime,. Part with cash. Repeat every 12.5K miles. ;-) Doddle.
Oil Filter tool Augmented suffering. Your Car? - Saltrampen
What about oil filter pliers?
Not much bigger than strap wrenches.
Not as chunky as Mole wrench.
Oil Filter tool Augmented suffering. Your Car? - RichardW
These days, provided I have fitted them, they usually come off by hand. A chain wrench is usually the weapon of choice on if required though. Worst effort was for my first change on my first BX TD, when I wasn't that well endowed with tools:

1. Get SWMBO obeyed to procure washing up bowl to drain oil into.
2. Get it on high get under it - huh, square hole in plug, special spanner required.
3. Out of high, and drive down to Halfords, purchse multi tool "Fits all cars". In moment of inspiration, also buy nylon type strap wrench for filter.
4. Back home, back on high, get under it. Tool "fits all cars" except BX. Knowing halfords had nothing else, spend 1 hour filing down part of spanner to make it fit (without decent file, workbench or vice).
5. Try plug. Won't shift. Requires use of hammer on spanner to shift it. Oil now draining - good oh.
6. Try filter. Won't shift. Try various lines of attack / tools on the nylon strap - nada.
7. Cycle to Halfords (no oil in car by now...), purchase chain wrench.
8. Cycle home, fight with chain wrench for 1/2 hour, eventually free filter. Spill oil everywhere (anyone who's changed an XUD oil filter will understand!).
9. Reassamble and start up.
10. Shake head at 3 hours it has taken to complete oil change and rue not taking it somewhere!

Subsequent changes on XUD engined cars have been easier - although the current HDi requires the removal of the engine undertray to complete the task.
Oil Filter tool Augmented suffering. Your Car? - henry k
Or a claw wrench
This 'bionic' hand makes easy work of oil filter removal.

tinyurl.com/5ulbbu
Oil Filter tool Augmented suffering. Your Car? - reevsie
Has anyone tried getting near an oil filter on a Pug 306 2.0 16v with aircon? Nigh on impossible with grips, chain tool etc. The only way I found after much cursing is the old screwdriver method - ideal if space is at a premium.
Oil Filter tool Augmented suffering. Your Car? - pendulum
The worst tool I ever used was a Draper chain-type oil removal tool. Not only did it fail to remove the filter, but the plastic handle came apart from the metal base of the tool during use, causing my hand to shoot off towards something metal and very hard. That was painful and put me off of using filter removal tools.

I solved the stuck filter problem with a screwdriver and hammer with good results. Ever since, the filter has come off using just two hands to turn it, because I always oil the rubber seal and never overtighten it.
Oil Filter tool Augmented suffering. Your Car? - DP
When I did the job on the Scenic, I was pleasantly surprised to find the filter came undone by hand. Where I struggled was working out how to get the thing out of the engine compartment. You wouldn't believe the route I had to take, threading the (full) filter upwards, around various hoses and wires, and emerging under the bonnet. Never seen this before.

I have a pair of oil filter pliers with a serrated jaws which grip the filter. These haven't failed me yet, but access could be an issue on some cars. Generally though it only needs to make the first half turn, and hand pressure can take over.

Have used the screwdriver method as well in the past with 100% (if messy) success. Never had a car I've serviced last need any more than firm hand pressure inside a clean rag to undo the filter.

cheers
DP
What I used to find DP, was that the French seemed to go out of their way to make cars as difficult as possible to work on, stupid I know but that was how it seemed me, in fact I used to dread having to work on a French car, and that includes Pug's as well, when they were made "over there"
Oil Filter tool Augmented suffering. Your Car? - Lud
I have a chain socket that always works when needed. But if I have put the filter on myself I can usually loosen it by hand. The job is very awkward in my present car without a pit though. I did in the past discover the screwdriver method for myself. Sure, it's messy, but just try changing an oil filter without making some sort of mess.
Oil Filter tool Augmented suffering. Your Car? - Alby Back
Once helped friend in France to fix a loose exhaust clamp. Really could have been a lot easier with a pit as his car was rather low slung. Brainwave solution was to find a particularly deep pothole and crawl under to do the job. Would have thought there were plenty of those in the metropolis Lud ? Trouble is I suppose that they would tow you away before you could get the job done ? !
Oil Filter tool Augmented suffering. Your Car? - Lud
Trouble with metropolitan potholes is that they tend to be in the carriageway... Used sometimes to put two wheels on a high kerb and lie in the gutter, but I never enjoyed it much and really hate it now. Changed the clutch in a Lada once like that.

Tend to use the country these days. Mud is vastly preferable to dog excrement as a hair gel.
Oil Filter tool Augmented suffering. Your Car? - gordonbennet
I've tried a few over the years, but settled with a sykes pickavant (IIRC) chain with socket fitting, always works as long as there's room.

I may link into this with a new thread if anyone's interested, but has anybody seen or tried a 'Fumoto' quick oil change valve.
I've bought one for the hilux, with a nipple end, so you can connect a pipe to the drain valve. Had to get it sent from USA believe it or not, the Americans believe in oil changes too, its a very high quality fitting too.
I'm yet to fit it, no point until the next oil change comes round, wont be long.

I know some BR's wouldn't want one, as their sump is a sealed for life affair..:)

If only they did a oil filter quick change thingy too.

Edited by gordonbennet on 18/06/2008 at 23:57

Oil Filter tool Augmented suffering. Your Car? - zookeeper
Tend to use the country these days. Mud is vastly preferable to dog excrement as
a hair gel.

and a well deserved pat on the back too i imagine
"I may link into this with a new thread if anyone's interested, but has anybody seen or tried a 'Fumoto' quick oil change valve."

GB,I use a Vacuum device, but the valve sounds less fiddly. looking forward to your review of it. (don`t let me miss it)

Cheers

Edited by oilrag on 19/06/2008 at 08:43

Oil Filter tool Augmented suffering. Your Car? - martint123
With my particulars car and bikes, I find the three fingered claw thing mentioned some way above works well in the space available. Can be fitted and used single handedly.
Oil Filter tool Augmented suffering. Your Car? - John F
A long piece of rope, just under 1cm diam. Clean oil off filter casing. Wind neatly round and round and round.....starting from bottom working up to where attached. Pull hard - if you get enough coils on it won't slip. If it does, sand-paper it and try again.
Oil Filter tool Augmented suffering. Your Car? - George Porge
Skoda Octavia 1600 8V, after several fruitless attempts at removal with several types of bought tool, I ended up using 2 x 24 inch long pieces of Dexion angle iron, a length of threaded bar and 2 nuts. Assembled like a large nut cracker, the sides of the filter soon had flats on, the nuts continually adjusted to compensate and it still took 10 minutes of heaving before it let go :o(
Oil Filter tool Augmented suffering. Your Car? - defender
JCB use a similar type oil drain valve which you screw of the safety cap ,then screw on drain hose which starts oil flow ,quick and no mess and just the same size as an ordinary sump plug.
about the only snap on tool I would recommend is the filter strap ,works every time and not guilty of slipping
Oil Filter tool Augmented suffering. Your Car? - Clanger
Citroen CX. Up on ramps, oil drained. Filter is on back of engine behind the exhaust manifold. Burnt right hand because I was too keen to get started. Chain wrench put a nice waist on the filter so I stopped. Punched the casing with my favourite screwdriver and tried to turn the filter; the casing tore. No room to chip away at the rim with a screwdriver. Rived the casing off so I could see the holes on the filter base and tore a ragged strip of flesh off my left hand. Laid into it with some temper and a borrowed small bolster chisel and it gave way. Oil and blood everywhere.

My other 2 CXs gave up their filters to a fabric strap wrench.

Latterly used a fabric wrench to try and remove the canister filter from a Suzuki Bandit 600. Threatened to tip the bike off its centre stand so drafted my glamorous assistant (Mrs H) to add some resistance. Looked at the manual later after having done the oil change and the book said something like "Oil the rubber seal and fit the filter hand tight, then screw the filter on a further 2 turns." 2 turns? No wonder it was such a swine; perhaps the pre-translated version meant half-a-turn.
Oil Filter tool Augmented suffering. Your Car? - tr7v8
I use a fabric wrench with a hex attached for most cars, wouldn't work on the 944 though. Ended up buying a tool that's a cap that fits over the end of the filter, even then it's a pain, filters upside down & difficult to get to even with the correct tool, damn German engineering.
Oil Filter tool Augmented suffering. Your Car? - ifithelps
Must mention the other 'c' word in oil filters - cannisters, with a paper filter inside.

Trying to get the 'o' ring to sit properly on a Minor was a devil of a job.

It faced directly downwards and a smear of grease didn't always defeat gravity..

The steel cannister needed to be done up fairly accurately - too much or too little and it would leak.