Stop Start and Boundary Layer Lubrication new 2cyl - oilrag
Do you think the Big and main bearing shells will have been given endurance enhancing improvements on the forthcoming Fiat and VW `Stop start twins? that or different oil additives ?

I have always been aware of importance of hydrodynamic lubrication on regular engines so have let them tickover for a few minutes rather than stop/starting when, for example SMBO pops into the Post Office from the passenger seat.

Yes, I`m aware of additives and boundary layer lubrication, but it would really go against the grain to let a `Stop Start` engine keep letting its shells get to the boundary layer 200 times a day in the rush hour.

Any thoughts?

Edited by oilrag on 15/06/2008 at 22:50

Stop Start and Boundary Layer Lubrication new 2cyl - ifithelps
Any thoughts? >>

My first thought is: Eh?

Or, what is hydrodynamic boundary layer lubrication?

And how does an engine 'get' to it?

Edited by ifithelps on 15/06/2008 at 22:55

Crankshaft `floats`on a wedge of oil when running, thats Hydrodynamic. when it rests boundary layer lubrication supposedly stops metal to metal contact.

Its getting between the two that can cause wear on very fragile shell surfaces.

Or at least in my imagination, it is after all Modern Times ;)

Edited by oilrag on 15/06/2008 at 23:01

Stop Start and Boundary Layer Lubrication new 2cyl - gordonbennet
>>any thoughts? >>

My thoughts are that you have a devilish streak for winding up some of the members of the BR that believe an engine should switched off 3/100ths of a second before you stop, and that it should be driven away 5 minutes before starting on a freezing cold morning.

I spend most of my time on wikipedia these days looking up what you're talking about Oilrag..:)
Thats because i didn't have the benefit of higher education and betray my proletariate brotherhood..:)

My own thoughts on stop/start...just something else to go wrong, bet we could have some fun arguing the case for mid term oil changes though..:)

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/06/2008 at 01:33

Stop Start and Boundary Layer Lubrication new 2cyl - jbif
My thoughts are that you have a devilish streak for winding up some of the members of the BR

gordonbennet - Surely not, as that is pretty close to Wiki definition of trolling.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolling "Slang Troll (Internet), a person who .... "

I did think that the hoilyraggy fellow was very clever to start a new thread so often.

Stop Start and Boundary Layer Lubrication new 2cyl - gordonbennet
Oh Heavens above no, our Oily one wouldn't qualify as a troll.

He does however come up with some very amusing threads, which after i've spent most of my day finding out what he's on about, find my vocabulary has improved again.

See after retirement he's still doing good, keeping ageing delinquents busy >:)

The OR threads are always a source of amusing banter.

I followed your link on trolling Jbif, an interesting one there about chaps of a certain persuation, got a feeling that doesn't apply either:)

You're not a 'Bradshaws' fan too are you, the 'H' slipped in there....i really must get out more.:)
Stop Start and Boundary Layer Lubrication new 2cyl - tr7v8
Given modern oils & materials I can't see it being a problem. I've stripped high mileage engines with negligable bearing wear. Why would there be metal-metal contact after stopping for a few minutes. These stop-start engines don't go into this mode until warm anyway, so it won't be a restart on a cold engine.
"because i didn't have the benefit of higher education and"

You`re going to tell me next that you never read `Car Mechanics` at the back of the class at school GB. What do you expect after sniggering at all those copies of `Flagpole and Jubilee Clip weekly` in your desk? ;)

Regarding the engines, That`s going to be an awful lot of stop/starts though on a typical bus lane congested, gasper of a route.
Even If the shells and crank are designed for it and perhaps a new oil spec, there is still the Human Psych.... Unfortunately in `Paranoia World` there is always metal to metal contact and those solenoid valve actuators have been supplied by a pinball machine manufacturer.