Diesel chokers. - Malcolm
There we were sitting outside our local village cafe(which also doubles as a newsagents) enjoying the sun and the fresh countryside air and also the singing of the local bird population,we were also enjoying our coffee and carrot cake.That was untill this inconsiderate driver of a diesel car stopped right outside and give us a taste of his exhaust fumes!. Now why is it that some drivers of diesels do not like to switch off their engines when popping into shops, I have seen this happen on many occasions, is it a throwback to the days when diesels did not start as easily as the modern engine of today or what!. It is also practiced by drivers when collecting their papers early in the mornings which must upset local residents. We have all heard about someone losing their car in this way yet many drivers still take the risk of their car being stolen or being caught by the law.
Any comments on this stupid unsafe and unlawfull habit!
Regards,cough,cough.
Malcolm
Diesel chokers - Solution. - David Woollard
Malcolm,

Next time turn off his engine, lock the car and take the keys. Look innocent for a while as he panics then hand them back reminding this is an anti-social habit and illegal (I think).

Remember to be on your guard for a "Prescott" though!

David
Re: Diesel chokers - Solution. - Phil
It is an offence to leave a car unattended with the engine running. If this happens regularly, perhaps a safer way to deal with it would be to invite your local copper to confiscate the keys of offending cars, and return them with a brief lecture on anti-social practices involving diesel engines.
Less risk of a Prescot this way, I suspect!
Re: Diesel chokers - Solution. - John Kenyon
And why should drivers of petrol engined cars be denied the brief lecture,
seeing as though they are the ones doing more for global warming?

/John
Re: Diesel chokers - Solution. - andrew smith
This is v.dangerous as his insurance company will not pay out should his car be stolen under these circumstances.
This is very annoying if you've still got 3 years to go on the finance.
Re: Diesel chokers and more! - Malcolm
It's Malcolm again, There we were again only this time I was parked on the seafront enjoying the fresh air, sounds of the coast etc and what should park next to me, no, not a diesel engine running , this time it was one of those cars with 6" exhaust, max power sticker, and the loudest stereo I have ever heard thumping away. I counted to ten and left!
What next?
P----d off.
Malcolm.
Cafes, cake and the seaside. - David Woollard
My thoughts exactly. Not only coffee and cake but the village cafe then the seaside.
Malcolm you're enjoying yourself far too much. I think you'll find that is why they pick you to park next to!
And as for Max Power, there's another thread or two in that.
David
Re: Cafes, cake and the seaside. - Malcolm
Yes David its a great life retired at 50 with nowt else to do but drink coffee, eat carrot cake, and go on trips to the seaside. :-)

Malcolm.
Re: Diesel chokers - Solution. - Brian
This is nothing to do with petrol vs. diesel. It is simply bad and inconsiderate driving plus, as has been mentioned, illegal. And risking theft.
Re: Diesel chokers and more! - Alvin Booth
Malcom,

Coffee and carrot cake!!!!!!! makes me very suspicious.
However your little experience is nothing compared to the car deck on a ferry when despite tannoy requests and huge messages on the screens not to start engines until requested, all the petrol heads insist on starting up minutes before the ramp is dropped leaving me choking with fumes and rage and wishing I had a John Prescott sitting with me to administer a few straight lefts.

Alvin Booth
Re: Cafes, cake and the seaside. - richard turpin
If you punch someone because they leave the engine of their car running when you are eating carrot cake, is it road rage?
We all have our pet gripes, but this one surely takes the biscuit.
Carrot cake vs Diesel fumes. - David Woollard
Actually carrot cake is something of an aquired taste, some would prefer diesel fumes.
David
Seriously though. - Malcolm
Thanks for the laughs,this site could do with a few, despite what others might think of carrot cake being discussed!.

Seriously though we do have an anti-social problem with thumping great sound systems in cars the bass of which can sometimes be heard half a mile away.Is there anywhere in this country where it is not tollerated by the authorities? they seem to allow it where I live. They would soon turn the volume down if there was a risk of their system being confiscated,But in reality unless it is easy to police and there was lots of revenue involved I and others who are annoyed by this "gripe" will just have to put up with it.

Malcolm (smiling)
Re: Carrot cake vs Diesel fumes. - Brian
Re: ferries
For this reason I get everybody into the car and make sure the windows are closed well before the boat docks, seeing as one family member is a bit of lung missing.
Loud Stereos - Guy Lacey
Weston-Super-Mare has.

A right sh*thole full of pensioners eating carrot cake (yum) but has successfully stopped the "Southend Situation"

Boom Boom Shake the Room.
Re: Loud Stereos - Andrew Tarr
If this is a serious comment about 'Boom Boom', then I side with Malcolm. I don't care what people's taste in 'music' is, as long as I am not forced to share it (especially from half a mile away). If they don't have the decency to accept that, I wish there was a way to persuade them!
Re: Loud Stereos - Guy Lacey
It is a serious comment. I'm not just here for side-splitting one-liners (where? You may ask)

Weston-Super-Mare used to suffer from hooligans in Nissan Almeras (see other thread) driving up and down the seafront all night with Boom Boom STR.

What did they do? That's right, close off the seafront on the main nights and the problem goes away.

Easy.