Passat & Tiguan Recalls ???? - Pendlebury
Passat or Tiguan (2008 models) are being recalled in the US and owners have been told not to use their aircon systems.

The recall follows an investigation by the NHTSA (National Highway Transport Safety Administration) into complaints that engine idling may not be controlled when the air conditioning is activated and that there is the potential for a sudden surge in revs. Owners have been warned not to use their air conditioning until their car has been checked. No recall has been announced in Europe as yet, but concerned Passat and Tiguan owners should contact Volkswagen Customer Services or their local dealer for more information.

I can well imagine VW UK holding out for as long as they can until they find it necessary to do the right thing for it's customers.
Passat & Tiguan Recalls ???? - George Porge
I remember a similar situation in the 80s where yanks claimed Audis 100's / 200's would rev up unexpectedly and being autos would hit the car in front, lots of lawsuits came to nothing I beleive as the problem was unfounded.
Passat & Tiguan Recalls ???? - colinh
Probably explains the "have a Golf until we can delivery your Tiguan next January" situation in Germany.