03 1.4 Water around spark plugs - stairman
Changed the plugs March 08, when the plug lead was removed to gain access to spark plug I found water around base of the plug, I used a sponge to remove before changing the plug. The other 3 were the same. Have just changed the leads because car suffering from hesitancy when cold, there was a small amount of water around the plugs.
Has anybody else found this - any ideas.
03 1.4 Water around spark plugs - Screwloose

Two possible sources; leaking windscreen washer jets and corroding core plugs between the plug-wells in the head. [Usually caused by lack of anti-freeze changing.]
Washer jets - have noticed a water mark on air filter below drivers side water jet investigating further.
Core plugs - Do not seem to be loosing water at a high rate, how easy to repair core plugs. Need to investigate further.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 13/06/2008 at 01:30

03 1.4 Water around spark plugs - andyp
When you say that it is not 'loosing water at a high rate', if it is loosing any coolant then there is a problem somewhere, possibly with the core plugs, as a modern sealed cooling system shouldn't need topping up at all.
03 1.4 Water around spark plugs - doctorchris
If you could suck the fluid up in a syringe or even a turkey baster you could see the colour. Your coolant is probably orange, screenwash is whatever colour you use. If it is just a clear fluid then it may simply be water.
Smelling it may help as coolant and screenwash definitely smell different. Coolant is quite acrid, screenwash usually has some kind of pleasant scent in it.
03 1.4 Water around spark plugs - topbloke
if this is the engine that i think it is then if you remove the leads and look through the hole at the space between the plugs you will see a large allen headed plug this is screwed into the water jacket "the threads leak" that may be where you water is coming from if so they will need removing cleaning and resealing
03 1.4 Water around spark plugs - Screwloose
TB

Those were the "core plugs" that I meant. I like the bit about "remove, clean, reseal..."

The ones that I've done have often been so corroded-in that they've needed a machine-shop to grind them away and re-tap to take a 1" BSP plug.
03 1.4 Water around spark plugs - topbloke
Hey who said that they were easy
Found it, leaking core plugs. Stripped out cleaned, re-sealed sorted - many thanks all.
Going to remove plug leads this weekend will have a look for the threaded plugs. Sounds like a pain of a job. Need to confirm loosing water, keep you posted.
Cleaned the water out with a sponge, rusty water no pleasant smell
No loss to date, got a mark to keep an eye on.