97 3.9 wiring problem - dodgybee
hi there got a nice disco runs on lpg too
i seem to have 2 problems
coil overheats when ignition left on has 12v feed and seems to have earth on neg side from distributor i am unsure of what originally is correct wiring,seems to be shorting coil.

prob 2 car cuts out dead no apparent reason it still has 12v feed to coil but loses its trigger from distributor then for no apparent reason it starts again,this makes it very hard to rely on it.

could someone please tell me how coil should be wired and should distributor have a neg feed when live is going through it i think poss distributor has a problem but no expert.

car runs well when it is running on gas or lpg

has a mallory distributor fitted with hyfire 4 coil no balast resistor and new leads

had a misfire as mallory coil looked pretty ropey changed it for a intermotor coil(11410)
cured misfire but now using car more seems to highlight other faults(overheating coil and cutting out dead occasionally

any help will be appreciated
regards les {phone number removed. Not advisable to post for the whole world to see, unless you want to risk getting crank calls day and night?}

ps i,ve just bought car

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/06/2008 at 14:39

97 3.9 wiring problem - Screwloose

In it's original configuration, it has a key-on feed on the white wire and the white/black was earth-triggered by the module on the side of the dizzy.

What is this Mallory distributor and is it compatible with the car's wiring? Why not bin it and get a secondhand standard one - loads of Discos being broken at the mo.
that is what i am thinking was just wondering why the coil was getting too hot,
prob is i do not know what standard wiring was like on it,is 12v feed from switch normal and is earth from distributor normal on the trigger wire when ignition on or does it sound like distributor causing problems,is system meant to have as standard any ballast resistor on the poss side of coil to drop voltage when running
regards

An electronic amplifier will always default to off when it's pick-up isn't sending a signal.

So what is this Mallory distributor and where did it come from? Points? Electronic? No ballast fitted as standard on these.
97 3.9 wiring problem - gozling2
Hi Screwloose,

Just looking at your thread and new to this forum myself,I am also in the LRO Forum (Land Rover Owners), that would be the best place for more in depth technical help on Landrovers, look at www.lro.com there is a whole section on Discovery's, friendly guys but as mad as hatters.

Gozling2

My wife was a Land Rover widow long before I got my Disco I
hi screwloose,
mallory is supposed aftermarket higher performance ignition kit for this engine also helps with lpg as well i believe.company is rpi they supply them
i am not really bothered really just want system reliable thats why asking some questions you might think silly but do not know what wiring should be like from original
if no balast fitted i cannot understand why coil burning out hence why i think distributor it seems to have everything inside it no external amplifier evident and it is electronic,and is called their unilite system
regards

I can't see why an electronic distributor should keep the coil earthed at key-on. Either it's faulty, needs a special coil to make it work, or it's incorrectly wired.

Most of this over-hyped "performance" junk doesn't work properly; I'd re-fit the original Lucas unit and return to standard wiring.

You may have to decide your own compromise on LPG/petrol timing settings.
97 3.9 wiring problem - elekie&a/c doctor
Does this car have a factory fit immobiliser?Is there a black wire connected to the + positive terminal of the coil?
yes has factory fitted immobiliser i believe, 2 black wires going to coil a thin one and a thicker one the thick one is the feed to the coil dont know what thin one does both wires connected together,when car does not start i still have a live feed to coil positive side and loss of trigger to negative side,then suddenly out of the blue car will get trigger back
thanks for your help so far folks,
that is what i thought screwloose why is it keeping coil earthed at key on,
will check wiring and am on the lookout for original distributor.
i think once i cure starting/loss of trigger issue that should cure overheating coil
again thanks for help
97 3.9 wiring problem - nick
Did RPI fit the kit or only supply it? They're a reputable company and know Rover V8s inside out. If they fitted it, give them a ring. They may well be able to advise anyway.
Mallory stuff is good quality and well regarded. I suspect it hasn't been installed correctly.
thanks nick the parts were already on car when i bought it i just want it to run properly i have no issue with mallory i think it may have been fitted wrongly from the start or else has developed this problem,i am not a performance nut just want reliability.
it had mallory coil as well helfire 4 but no balast so may have fried things but no expert.
have been told original system is un balasted so just a coil and distributor
thanks for your help