01 1.6 - cutting out after startup - empee
I took my car in to the vauxhall dealer as it was intermittently cutting out after startup. If I started it and revvved it then it would be fine.

The garage said they could not get it to stall and there were no error codes on the ECU. They then proceeded to upgrade the ECU software from v5 to v6.

I went to the garage to pick it up. It started fine. As I had to fit the child car seat the engine idled for a while before I drove. I got to the exit of the garage and waited to join the main road, during this time it stalled.

I ran back in and they came out with the ECU reader - no error codes.

They are stumped but suspect the throttle body possibly a dry joint. £300 for the part, after that it must be the ECU they say. They offered to dry and get a 'donor' throttle body to try it out but that would take a few days.

I tried to drive away again but as it stalled immediately I left the car at the garage and walked home. So the problem is now worse but at least 'recreatable'.

"The garage is clutching at straws" says my neighbour who maintains his own cars and recommended I post a forum entry here. He also said if the ECU is a problem there are companies who can check them for a fee (any recommendations?).

A mechanic I called reckoned it would be cheaper to source a throttle body over the internet (who is a reliable supplier?) and he could fit it for me.

What should my next step be? I've called the garage and told them not to do any work until further notice.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Cheers

duplicate info in subject header removed, as this is displayed when you make your choice from the drop down boxes & compulsory year/engine boxes

Edited by Webmaster on 01/06/2008 at 13:31

01 1.6 - cutting out after startup - topbloke
when you restart it do's it start on the button or do's it need a a lot of coaxing with the throttle,is this only from cold, is it okay when its warm, is this a 16v or 8v engine
Astra 1.6 - cutting out after startup - empee
Restarting is from cold and warm. It needs a tiny bit of coaxing, basically it starts and then you rev it to stop the stall and its ok.

I don't know what the engine is, I think its 8V there is no 16V badge on the car - its a 1.6 Club Estate Automatic.
Cheers
Also...

On my last service invoice it says year is 2001 and the following engine number:

Z16SE 02MT6248

Does this help?
Astra 1.6 - cutting out after startup - Screwloose
empee

Z16SE is perfect. I don't know how TB feels about it; [he's the authourity on these] but I'm wondering if the EGR valve is sticking?

This appears to be an odd fault; not really stalling-when-coming-to-rest, more cutting out after establishing a good idle - but only at idle. Crank sensor issues can't be ruled out either.
Astra 1.6 - cutting out after startup - MikeTorque
Could it be the fuel relay ?

Dunno how do I check?
Astra 1.6 - cutting out after startup - topbloke
there is a known problem with the fuel temp sensor on this model, basically the sensor is replaced for one that has gold wireing contacts (less resistance) you could disconect it and see if its been changed already you wont always get a trouble code with this fault either so worth a look, my bet would be crank sensor, unless the throttle body is realy gummed up may be worth a clean up (cant hurt it and may improve things) egr faults on this vehicle usually occur on light throttle at steady speeds unless they are stuck open then they cause poor idle hunting etc but usually after driving not from start up
Astra 1.6 - cutting out after startup - MikeTorque

Dunno how do I check?

The usual way is to change it and see if the problem disappears, it did on the Astra I had with a similar problem.
01 1.6 - cutting out after startup - empee
Thanks for all the thoughts everyone - in the meantime the garage found the EGR was sticking, they cleaned it and it was still sticking so they replaced it - all OK now! And they only charged me for the part!
01 1.6 - cutting out after startup - MikeTorque
Good result.
01 1.6 - cutting out after startup - topbloke
well done screwloose good call !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! something must be rubbing off onto you
01 1.6 - cutting out after startup - Screwloose
TB

I'll keep learning.....