2001 2.0 Banging noise from front n/side - Johnnno
I have had this 2001 S60 since August 06 and love the car........until about 4 weeks ago, developed a noise ( sort of rattle/banging ) from front near side when going over bumps/uneven roads.
My local engineer has had the car on the ramps and could find nothing wrong with suspension . Then the local MOT garage also had a look at it and could find nothing wrong and said it would pass its MOT no problem.
Took it back to my local man who then found some play in front n/side lower ball joint which he replaced yesterday.
Result ; no difference, in fact if anything noise is worse !!!!
If anyone has any bright ideas as to cause of this I would be very grateful!
Thanks, Johnno
2001 2.0 Banging noise from front n/side - ex-Triumph man
I know you have had your suspension checked. However I had this situation on my XC70 and the coil spring had broken. I would stongly suggest that you get it rechecked pronto in cased it is the spring. If this is the case and it does let go, it could take the tyre out.
2001 2.0 Banging noise from front n/side - prm72
Could also be droplinks or anti-roll bar bushes, quite common on these apparently, got to get my fronts done with only 31000 on the clock, same car.
2001 2.0 Banging noise from front n/side - Johnnno
Thanks for suggestion; checked the coil spring and this is fine.
The more I listen to the noise the more now I'm thinking it is not a major mechanical part, more likely something loose . Planning now to remove the wheel arch plastic cover and see if anything like a stone trapped in there !
Alternatively will turn the stereo volume up !

2001 2.0 Banging noise from front n/side - Deep Inhaler
I have a similar noise from my car - a Toyota Previa; I too have had a garage look at the car on a ramp and they diagnosed a worn ball joint. That may have been worn, but the knocking was still there. Having had the wheel off twice myself, I believe the noise is due to missing or broken springs which hold the disc pad in place. The pads themselves are quite low and I can move the the pad so that the metal part of the pad knocks against the caliper.
The noise stops when the brakes are applied.
2001 2.0 Banging noise from front n/side - KK
Don't know whether you've solved this problem or whether what I suggest is useful. I've got a 2000 S80 and have a similar problem with a knocking at low speeds. I'm not sure if the make up of the S60 is similar to the S80 but have a look at the attached link.
home.comcast.net/~ohmfab//files/Volvo_S80_Subframe...f

Regards

KK