99T 1.9td hissing brakes - bigkaz
the brake pedal on my 306 has started hissing every time i start up and the brakes are really stiff as well taking their time to kick in, the car has 115k on clock and has abs brakes, to be fair i havent checked the brake fluid being a novice and would appreciate any help / solutions i could get thanks contriutors in advance. by the way it is a 1.9td meriidian on a T plate.
99T 1.9td hissing brakes - Dynamic Dave
Sounds like the brake servo is leaking.
99T 1.9td hissing brakes - Peter D
Yep split diaphram in the servo. Dangerous. Regards Peter
99T 1.9td hissing brakes - bathtub tom
Remove the snake from under the brake pedal ;>)
99T 1.9td hissing brakes - bigkaz
thanks guys can you possibly give an estimate as to how big a job this is is it relatively cheap to sort out or can i expect a big hole in my pocket?
99T 1.9td hissing brakes - Number_Cruncher
Although it makes no difference - the servo has failed, and should be replaced as a unit - it isn't the diaphrgm that has split.

With no force on the pedal, there is vacuum on both sides of the diaphragm - these are suspended vacuum type servos - so, even if the diaphragm were split, there would be no airflow through the servo, and, no hissing.

The fault is that the valves which allow atmospheric air into the pedal side of the servo, and vacuum into the m/cylinder side of the servo are stuck open. This also explains why there's no pressure difference building up across the diaphragm, and no pedal assistance.

The end result will be the same - replace the servo, taking care to ensure that the pushrod has some clearance from the master cylinder piston, and all will be well again.