Herringbone car park bays - tunacat
With cars getting ever-bigger, and the popularity of 'on-roaders', by the time you've reversed out of a typical car park's bay sufficiently for your front corner to clear the adjacent car's rear corner, you're at serious risk of backing into the car in the facing bay.

(Yes, you could reverse INTO the bay and maybe gain a bit more clearance by driving out forwards, but then you have trouble at the boot-end with kids' pushchairs and supermarket trolleys, and the associated risk of scraping adjacent cars in your efforts in getting said pushchair/trolley to that location.)

The car park's through-traffic gets held-up by vehicles having to make mini '3 point turns' to get out of -and often into- their bays, when the turn has to be 90 degrees. And no wonder so many carpark dings and scrapes occur.

For the sake of losing maybe a couple of spaces per row, why don't car parks have angled bays arranged in herringbone fashion? Something that seems to be very rare in this country.

Surely things would be quicker, easier, and safer for everybody concerned?
Herringbone car park bays - boxsterboy
Yes, I agree.
Herringbone car park bays - Mapmaker
Drive a smaller car if you're not up to driving a bigger one without crashing into other cars.

:)
Herringbone car park bays - FotheringtonThomas
no wonder so many carpark dings and scrapes occur.

That's because people can't manoeuvre properly. Your post says it all!

Also, if they hit another car in a public-access car park, they are subject to legal sanction if they fail to stop/report/give particulars. These ought to be applied strenuously to miscreants.
Miserable old gits out in force at 11.03 today.
Herringbone car park bays - FotheringtonThomas
Sorry, is that you *and* me?
Herringbone car park bays - nortones2
+1 m.o.g.
Herringbone car park bays - tunacat
MM, I'm assuming your comment was TIC anyway, but thanks, I can drive my car without crashing into others, should I choose to.
It's the other folks' abilities I worry for.

The problem is not really one of competence, simply physical fit, when UK carpark bays seem to have been marked-out to accomodate Austin Allegros.

How does the average family go on, if average families were all driving the new Mondeo?

And as for moving down to a smaller car, have you seen the size of the latest Corsa? Not small any more, are they.

Herringbone car park bays - JH
"marked-out to accomodate Austin Allegros." Yup. I shopped at Morrisons once. Well how can I shop if the space is so narrow I can't get out? OK I exaggerate but only slightly. That plus TWO queues at the deli counter, one for meat, then join a second one for cheese, meant I never went back.
JH
Herringbone car park bays - Bill Payer
Herringbone car parks are common in the US and work well. With the turning circle of a typical Yank SUV, they're probably essential.

Usually they arrange alternale rows in alternate directions. Only problem is when you spot a space from the end of a row which is facing against you. I solved that by reversing into the space - but turns out that's actually illegal in the US (due to no front number plate).
Herringbone car park bays - boxsterboy
Disneyland Paris has herringbone bays too, and they work well, until you drive and drive the wrong way down an aisle.
Herringbone car park bays - davecooper
Herringbone bays are a no brainer to me. You can drive straight into them and you can see other cars sooner when backing out. Why shouldn't driving be made easy. The worse culprits for difficult parking are multi story car parks. In my local one, there are three bays between pillars. The middle one is fine but the other two are so tight against the pillars that you can barely open any doors. I have had so many parking dents in these that I have given up caring.
Herringbone car park bays - Ravenger
The only place in the UK where I've seen herringbone parking bays is Bluewater Shopping Centre in Kent, and they work very well. I wish they were more common and the size of parking bays increased, especially since cars are getting bigger for safely reasons.
Herringbone car park bays - Alby Back
This thread has cheered me up. It has re-identified me. Once I might have been accused of being a "y.u.p.p.y." ( young up and coming professional ) Later I was definately a "d.i.n.k.y." ( dual, income, no kids yet ) I thought I had become a "s.i.m.a.k" ( single income, mortgage and kids ). But no .....I discover to my delight that I am in fact a "m.o.g." ! Wonder if you can get a bumper sticker?

;-)
Herringbone car park bays - Group B
For the sake of losing maybe a couple of spaces per row, why don't car parks
have angled bays arranged in herringbone fashion?

Because the owners of the premises (supermarkets are worst offenders IMO?) want to pack in the maximum number of spaces and they dont remotely care if their customers have difficulty parking. There are only guidelines for minimum space sizes, and some places they will reduce the size to squeeze more in.
I have a book which shows that in the area taken up by 32 spaces in herringbone pattern, a normal parking layout will give 34-36 spaces. So over a whole car park they could lose dozens of spaces, which they are evidently not prepared to do.

At Costco they must do it the American way, at the shop in Derby the parking is great, the spaces are in a standard layout but between all spaces there is a double line, making a good 14-16" gap.

The supermarket I was at yesterday has smaller than normal parking spaces to start with, but then every 3 spaces there is a diamond shaped kerb with tree planter, which cuts off the corner of the spaces, so longer cars cannot get right in. The design of the place is terrible.
The car park is comparatively small for the size of shop (hence small spaces to cram more in), so it is usually busier than most car parks, even at quiet times there are people struggling around trying to get into/out of spaces..
Herringbone car park bays - Pugugly
There was a complaint about a posting here (think M.O.Gs) the "offending" poster self regulated by alerting us via the offensive post button - now unless there are any contrary views we'll leave it at that shall we ?
Herringbone car park bays - mike hannon
Spaces in French car parks, multi-storey or otherwise, are a joke - think 2CV-size - although, to be fair, they are either cheap or free.
The secret of dealing with them and most manoeuvring in tight spaces is a piece of almost-forgotten technology, just resurrected by Renault (by coincidence), ie 4-wheel steering. It really works!
*and*, FT! ;)

It's a space thing. In the US they've got lots of it. Land is cheap - it used to be free. And the cars are big.

In the UK we need every spare inch.
Herringbone car park bays - Westpig
I don't subscribe to the lack of space theory... to me it is contempt for the customer. Compared to 20 yrs ago plus, all our cars are a lot bigger..yet...car parks and domestic garages etc are still built to the spec of the past.

Try getting the average family saloon into a domestic garage.. it won't fit. Same with the average parking space, unless you mind chips and dents.

When I go out with a 4 month old in a car seat i have to look to park where there is an extra space, so i can physically get him out in his car seat, as a usual space with a car parked next door is normally quite tight.

Is the customer important enough to 'get it right'...obviously not in this country
Just reminded me Westpig.
We bought our current house from a builders plan abut 6 years ago. It gave options for various elements of the final configuration. We opted for a double width drive leading to a single garage. On the day we arrived to move in ( having never actually seen the house before ) we rolled up in our then brace of Mondeo estates. Tried to get them onto the alleged double width drive to no avail. As for getting one of them in the garage.........no chance. In fairness to the builders they very swiftly arranged for the drive to be extended at no cost to us but it does just underline that maybe industry standards for how large a parking space should be are out of date. Think I read in one of HJ's reports that my Mondeo is larger than an old Granada.
The only car which we now have which would fit in the garage is Mrs SS's Ka and even that would be tight. Well...... it would be if I cleared enough other stuff out to let it in!
Often thought though that house drives would be better if they ran at an angle to the house.
Herringbone car park bays - L'escargot
Herringbone bays may make it easier to enter the bay but it increases the risk of another car bumping you if the bays are in rows of two with no physical barrier betwen them. It's easier to judge the end of your car when you're parking in conventional bays than it is the corner of your car when parking in herringbone bays. Also I'm not sure how effective parking sensors are in herringbone bays, rows-of-two or otherwise.
Herringbone car park bays - L'escargot
............. having
never actually seen the house before .............

You must be joking.
No, really. We were moving from Scotland to Cheshire and had seen the plot but everything else was done by remote control. Thankfully it was fine apart from the drive!
Herringbone car park bays - PoloGirl
There is a car park on the side of West Quay in Southampton which has the herringbone spaces and they are tiny! I couldn't get the Golf in between an Astra and a Focus last night, and be able to open the doors once I'd stopped. Luckily there is a row of normal spaces against a wall at one end, and these always fill up first because they are big enough to park a car in.

I don't think I would choose to park anywhere that had the herringbone spaces - hate them.
Herringbone car park bays - Big Bad Dave
I saw a good arrangement in a shopping mall car park recently, herringbone but with a raised paved area running down the "spine" so you can reverse in but still access the boot with your trolley. Very few did of course, dim-witted as most people are.

I saw one guy last week as I waited in a tiny carpark at the local post office - he drove in the entrance and wanted the bay right there next to said entrance so a very sharp, tight turn if you want to do it forwards. Much easier to drive past and reverse in. But he was determined to drive in forwards and boy did he make a meal of it. In out backwards forwards in out backwards left hand down right hand down, out of the car for a quick survey of progress then back in for another in out in out and straighten up. I wanted to batter him by the time he'd finished he got me so stressed.
>>attitude to customer service

I'd rather have more tight spaces than fewer smaller spaces. My local Tescos you wouldn't be able to park at all much of the time if they had herringbone spaces.
Herringbone car park bays - Kevin Phillips-Bong!
Agreed. One place that I travel to a lot is Telford in Shropshire and the town centre car parks are mostly herring-bone layout. It does make life a lot easier.
Herringbone car park bays - welshlad
Herringbone spaces just make sense if your reversing out of one its a fairly minor manoeuvre compared to straight up spaces but in a multi storey carpark it also cuts out the need to trawl around on every level to find the easy spaces (admit it we have all driven past any empty spot because its too near the pillars etc.

As for visibility you can see exactly whats coming your way ijnstead of backing out past cars parked on either side hoping that nothings coming
Herringbone car park bays - jbif
In relation to the use of wide parking bays in the USA, I am very familiar with them in all over the States, but especially in California as I travel over there frequently. However, the premium on space is getting to be a factor over there too, for example in Palo Alto where a newish Hotel I stay in now has very narrow bays.
Just opposite is an older Hotel which still has much wider herringbone pattern spaces.

see aerial view here: tinyurl.com/5eq5z4

Herringbone car park bays - blue_haddock
Agreed. One place that I travel to a lot is Telford in Shropshire and the
town centre car parks are mostly herring-bone layout. It does make life a lot easier.

I have excellent first hand experience of this. Originally this was in the standard format but about 10 years ago when i worked at the asda there collecting trolleys they totally redesigned the car park

They introduced the herringbone design and as a result of not needing to give as much manouvering room the roadway section could be narrowed quite a bit, this meant that they could squeeze in an extra row of parking so despite having a couple less spaces per row the actual car park capacity increased.