53 ? Revs rise when idling - Mapmaker
Like what it says really. I haven't seen the car, and haven't seen the symptoms, but apparently, occasionally, when sitting idling at traffic lights - so presumably the engine is warm - the car revs itself a couple of times.

Apparently the garage fixed it by replacing something, but six months later it's back again. As it's an occasional problem, there is of course no guarantee that the garage ever did fix it.

That's all I've got to go on... Any ideas? Petrol engine - and it's presumably basic model. It's owner is talking about swapping it for a new car, but can ill afford it.
53 ? Revs rise when idling - Nige 101
Had an R reg 1.1 doing a similar thing recently - turned out to be the idle "stepper motor" - quite a common fault apparently - £25 from a breaker
53 ? Revs rise when idling - rip
maybe try cleaning the stepper motor and throttle body first, it may save buying a stepper motor.
53 ? Revs rise when idling - Nige 101
Good idea on the throttle body - however the stepper motor is sealed and I understand either works or not - if you buy one take the old one with you - there are different numbers of pins thru the years..........
i had the same symptoms on my xantia, i simply took out stepper motor and cleaned it with some wd40, did the same to throttle body and all areas nearby and its been perfect for a year.

the stepper motor was totally black and was the culprit. it saved me £75 for a new one from gsf, heaven knows how much they are at the dealers.
The coolant temperature sensor also affects idling as it informs the ecu how much fuel to burn, if it fails maybe there is too much fuel thus causing high idling- this part is a lot cheaper around £15 at the dealers. I would try stepper motor first.
53 ? Revs rise when idling - chrisw2uk
Yes failed on my idle revs yesterday, look for an ''idle control valve'' it controls the idling may be dirty or need replacing, around 20 on ebay depending car
SNIPQUOTE!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/05/2008 at 14:46

53 ? Revs rise when idling - chrisw2uk
Yes failed on my idle revs yesterday, look for an ''idle control valve'' it controls the idling may be dirty or need replacing, around 20 on ebay depending car